To dog delete or dpf back exhaust (2017 200 series landcruiser)

Barra GU

Hi guys and girls,
Just took ownership of our new 2017 landcruiser today.
These now have dpf from 2015 onwards,
Every dpf exhaust I've seen is only from dpf onwards
A: do they make any difference beside sound?
B: do they do full systems with dpf still on them

C: deleting dpf is illegal but My vehicle will only be for cough* "off road use" *cough So can I put it on and try to see some serious gains?

Also does putting a full free flowing exhaust cause it to throw codes?
Cheers

Synchro

For sure - you have a brand new 2017 Landrcuiser worth what $100K for only offroad use - what you using to tow it on the road to get to your offroad 4wd area?

phs

Just suck it and see mate,

Got one on our 2016 Prado it does not bother me and is better for the environment so it's a win win.

If it was to fail out of warranty and I was looking at 4 k to replace it I may question its valve but for now it's fine

And if you were to delete it they need a chip or ECU tune either way with warranty I'd think you'll be leaving it for a while at least

The whole system is tuned to run high pressure that the DPF creates, also there is an injector prior to the DPF and sensors ether side of it for pressure and temp monitoring.
That said not sure if any upgrade prior would work, anything after the DPF is all good

Your model has a manual burn function too be good to use it when you are expecting some load on the vehicle over the next 10 minuets or so.

Last edited:

Barra GU

Hi guys thanks for your replies.

The truth is not everyone is too concerned about legalities as they are hearing that any or said modification may void warranty.
I just spoke to a well known exhaust manufacturer today and they advised me that they do a full straight through exhaust, option b is with mufflers or c mufflers with cat but this deletes dpf
The problem with this option is
1 it's illegal and 2 my most biggest concern and game changer for me is it may affect warranty.

So rather than go down this path I have decided to opt for the dpf back option

This will give it a nice note and not alter the vehicles dpf system in which shouldn't cause any warranty issues.
She is booked In for next week.

Next up.... Suspension!

phs

The truth is not everyone is too concerned about legalities as they are hearing that any or said modification may void warranty.
I just spoke to a well known exhaust manufacturer today and they advised me that they do a full straight through exhaust, option b is with mufflers or c mufflers with cat but this deletes dpf
The problem with this option is
1 it's illegal and 2 my most biggest concern and game changer for me is it may affect warranty.

This will give it a nice note and not alter the vehicles dpf system in which shouldn't cause any warranty issues.

Next up.... Suspension!

Nice,

We fitted BP51s to our prado this week and went playing today, The ride on and off road is sensational not a cheap $$$ execise but I was nt going to spend that sort of coin of a 4wd to save a few K on something you will notice every time you use it!!!

Good luck

Tink

Funny you should mention warranty and exhausts.
Know one guy who had a warranty claim for a busted diff knocked back due to him fitting a larger exhaust. Manufacturer said he was now producing too many horses for the diff to handle, goodbye.
And remember the onus is then on you to prove the aftermarket accessory did NOT cause the warranty issue.
Anybody who modifies their vehicle really needs to consider their options when it comes to warranty. Me, yep I have a modified vehicle. Guess I will cross that bridge when I have to.
Tink

phs

The motor is tuned to suit the high back pressure from the DPF

I'd think re tuning it or chipping to delete the DPF would be more than enough reason for Toyota to knock back any motor related claim

And at the cost of a new car to replace the 1VD it's a big call

akin

Let us know how the DPF back system goes I am in the same boat got a MY16 GX and would love to hear the bloody thing its so quiet even the missus is complaining she cant hear come home. Unlike my old 76 series V8 with a 3" straight through no muffles or resonators she could hear about 2 suburbs away.

Tink

Let us know how the DPF back system goes I am in the same boat got a MY16 GX and would love to hear the bloody thing its so quiet even the missus is complaining she cant hear come home. Unlike my old 76 series V8 with a 3" straight through no muffles or resonators she could hear about 2 suburbs away.
Haha, not enough warning to get the boyfriend out the back door :D:D:D
Tink

phs

muc the truck

Not everyone is worried about legalities - They will when someone is made an example of .

I was puled up a while back at the biggest truck ,4x4 and car blitz I have ever seen in Rockhampton . They were looking for anything and I was pulled out of the traffic in a 3-4 year old stock standard height Colorado to get inspected . They had department of transport mechanics , jacks , safety stands in use with inspectors under cars/4x4 , and plenty of cops . I was caught having no spacer rings on my mags to locate hub.

Good luck to anyone with a train of thought like this .

boobook

SNIP

SNIP
I have a DPF back exhaust. You wont get a nice note. I had straight through redbacks after the DPF and it can be best described as a very very mild burble. You can hardly hear it. But it will also drone at 1600- 1800 RPM. That you can hear.

I put a muffler after the DPF. It is as quiet as factory with no drone now. Slight improvement in economy, very minor improvement in power.

akin

I have a DPF back exhaust. You wont get a nice note. I had straight through redbacks after the DPF and it can be best described as a very very mild burble. You can hardly hear it. But it will also drone at 1600- 1800 RPM. That you can hear.

I put a muffler after the DPF. It is as quiet as factory with no drone now. Slight improvement in economy, very minor improvement in power.
This is depressing....especially since the bloke who bought my old 76 came and picked me up for the footy last night man it sounds wicked. Even the missus started on me about it again.

boobook

To remove the DPF or bypass the EGR on a 2016 model you need to get the ECU reprogrammed. Bang goes your warranty and Toyota know at your next service. Also if you live in Victoria Vicroads are hitting installers with 25K fines. They are getting shy.

:-(

Barra GU

Hey guys thanks for all your responses.

Tbh with you i am far more confused than when I started.
Boobook you said that you have dpf back on your rig and it was straight through with pretty much no sound just average burble.

I had a mate of mine tell me this weekend that he disconnected hisbold mans exhaust from dpf back and it was rather quite.
This means if it's making no sound from hear onwards it will be rather pointless spending the bucks to get one done.

My mrs is comparing it to the old c63 4 door she had and she just wants to put the foot down and hear the bloody v8 roar.

What are my options?
Cheers