TJM HunterValley - appalling service and incompetent fitters

Evert

Hi all, I thought I would share my experience with this store with you all so that you could avoid the pain I have had to go through.

Nothing against TJM products, but this store provides absolutely appalling service and incompetent fitters. I spend over $6000 with these guys and they were able to screw up, brake and damage every single thing they fitted. I ordered roof racks, a UHF radio and a dust seal kit for my ute. They drilled a hole through my brand new Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms without even considering if I wanted a hole drilled into it. No, I don’t want a hole drilled through my roof racks. Got home and found that one of the legs on the Pioneer platform had come loose and started rubbing on my utes roof. Antenna cable for the UHF radio had been damaged during install and I could see the internal wiring. They also didn’t install the spring washer when mounting the antenna, so this had already rattled loose. UHF head unit was held in place by a cable tie because fitting the mounting bracket was too difficult. The UHF cable was also squashed in between the head unit and the bar they cable tied it to, so this will surely rub through and damage the cable. Antenna folding bracket didn’t work because they couldn’t fit the bracket and the antenna properly. Aeroklas canopy dust seal kit installed by what must have been a blind bloke as the tub liner was cut all over the show and now has big gaps and sharp edges on it.

When I then challenge the store manager on this I got the run around for weeks, nobody calls me back, no interest in fixing what they broke, absolutely appalling service. Finally spoke to the owner and he promises to fix it all, cool. Nice enough bloke, had a good talk when I dropped the car of to get fixed. Pick the car up, they fixed the broken bits, but now they ripped of the bracket for the tub liner and drilled holes into the cross member when the owner said that they were not going to do this.

Seriously, take your money elsewhere. I have paid a lot to get quality products for my car, only to have them installed by incompetent people, damaging my car and these products in the process.

Attachments

denk

looks like a rather dodgy install. I'd say a decent half day and you could get that all in yourself and know its a solid job!

Batts88

I don't know but would expect being a franchise they would have standards to follow so they are upholding the companies name and reputation and there are probably people above them to answer to. So I would definitely see if you can contact the Austrlian head office and put in a formal complaint and get it all fixed correctly. Sometimes it takes push in the right direction to get things sorted. If not then sometimes social media can be a necessary evil.

discomatt

This is why I have and will continue to fit every accessory and do as much of my own work as possible.
Pay peanuts get monkeys comes to mind, have you seen the astonishingly low pay rates that basic accessory fitters get paid at these big 4wd related companies get, its no wonder most have no clue and most of those that have no clue also don't give a rats

phs

This is why I have and will continue to fit every accessory and do as much of my own work as possible.
Pay peanuts get monkeys comes to mind, have you seen the astonishingly low pay rates that basic accessory fitters get paid at these big 4wd related companies get, its no wonder most have no clue and most of those that have no clue also don't give a rats
agree they pay there workers peanuts but charge the consumer a premium.

these accessories installer hourly rates charged out by the business/ company are more than any tradesmans

Last edited:

discomatt

I just re read the OP, holy snapping duck $#!^ , 6 grand to supply and fit roof rack, uhf and tub liner, 1 days work and $2500 worth of bitso_O
I am in the wrong business

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
There are many people who do not have the time, ability, tools whatever to work on their own vehicles and so pay through the nose to get it done.
Yes, you get what you pay for, however if you pay a good price you have to get a good job regardless of what reasons (excuses???) the fitter, repairer comes up with.
I always take any problems up with the blokes who do the work and if they don't respond correctly, then I take it further.
Over the years I have taken on and won with,
Centerlink, Anz bank, car insurance payout with Racv , an Interstate transport co. , Fair work commission and a couple of others.
And especially the one with Kevin Dennis (for those who remember him :D ) for replacement of new clutch and new gear box in a s*it car I bought.
Hell, I was only eighteen and a little green. :eek:.

Evert

Agree with all the comments here. Total parts were around $5000 and 10 hours of labour at $120 per hour. The labour charge is indeed an absolute rip off as these are trade rates, but you get monkeys installing these things that have no qualification what so ever. The owner must be making an absolute killing on these labour rates.
I though that TJM would hold this store to some sort of standard as well, but apparently they are not a franchise, the store is owned separately from TJM. I contacted TJM and Aeroklas (parent company of TJM) as well as Rhino Rack and basically they did not give a F. Then I got a response from the owner telling me that I should not contact TJM or his suppliers as he didn't care about that and he wasn't going to change the way he was dealing with me.

Albynsw

The store maybe owned separately from TJM but they are trading under the TJM banner so I would of thought head office would of shown a bit more concern about their reputation

Pretty ordinary service you have received all around

Bomber2012

Thats dreadful service @Evert , even worse when the owner and TJM don't care . Which store was it ? Name and shame the bludgers .
(Just saw TJM Huntervalley :eek:

phs

Agree with all the comments here. Total parts were around $5000 and 10 hours of labour at $120 per hour. The labour charge is indeed an absolute rip off as these are trade rates, but you get monkeys installing these things that have no qualification what so ever. The owner must be making an absolute killing on these labour rates.
I though that TJM would hold this store to some sort of standard as well, but apparently they are not a franchise, the store is owned separately from TJM. I contacted TJM and Aeroklas (parent company of TJM) as well as Rhino Rack and basically they did not give a F. Then I got a response from the owner telling me that I should not contact TJM or his suppliers as he didn't care about that and he wasn't going to change the way he was dealing with me.
$120 per hour what a Joke

they would be paying there installers $20-$25 an hour and also making money from product markup

Don’t get me wrong they can charge 120 but bloody hell at least do a good job!

It’s the whole automotive industry vary hard to find anyone decent to touch your car

Triton14

Me to, I dont know how to do a lot of things but I am pretty smart & learn quickly.

Over the years I have looked at so called "professional" work & though !@#$ I can do better than that so now I do most things myself where I can because of the very low work ethic in many trades.

3 weeks ago I built a wooden fence for friend, never built one before & everyone that's seen it has been asking him what company he used to do the job as it looks so good, to which he responds it was my mate the chef :cool:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
If you are hard done by and get sweet all response, just post your story anywhere and everywhere.
Take care not to name individuals, however if you tell the story truthfully, ie that you went to this shop (name) and spoke with manager/whatever and this is what was or was not done and how it turned out and how much you paid and what response you got or did not get, that's ok. Make sure the facts are spot on don't bulls*it, tell it as it is.
Social media can make a real mess of a business if it does you bad. I reckon a few people on this site would be interested in the progress of your story.
However, fair trading might be your first step. :D

Triton14

I just re read the OP, holy snapping duck $#!^ , 6 grand to supply and fit roof rack, uhf and tub liner, 1 days work and $2500 worth of bitso_O
I am in the wrong business
Have to agree, that price for those jobs is obsurd.

Hate to say it but how many how many quotes did you get @Evert ??

Still there is no pride in that work.

It annoys the !@#$ out if me when people to have a decent work ethic.
If you make a mistake then just gave the guts to man up & fix it.

Fair trading, make the complaint formal!!

old parthy

Yes Its funny how Australians pay out good money to get things done and yet /often get shitty work done..
Hell look at the Australian Logo $10 million spent on something that looks like a yellow C19 drawing... lol
Yep, we do Over pay on lots of jobs ......

Last edited:
Reactions: phs

Jaye

Unfortunately this sort of stuff is all too common in the business. As said above they pay peanuts and have monkeys working there. Im in the trade and would never let these guys (not just TJM specific) work on my 4x4. Never have I ever worked with such an incompetent bunch of people. Not to mention everything is all about the bottom line, profit, profit, profit over everything else.

I am a small business owner and I take pride in my work. I aim to make a profit but I also want my customers happy and sometimes I sacrifice a profit or work for very little for their happiness. Best customer is a repeat customer, its a virtual pat on the back. Maybe thats the problem. I own and run my business. These guys just manage someone else's business and dont care really. I have worked with many managers who have been fired or left before the proverbial hits the fan. Couple of weeks later they are working for someone else and the same field. Doesnt matter about mistakes when you got contacts does it.

This is the same TJM who had an employee splash that old dude waiting for a bus of whatever he was doing right???

mikehzz

A month ago, I thought I'd ask ARB how much to fit one of their compressors in the big space right next to the battery under the bonnet of my car. My current compressor cost $150 and is great but too big for the space. They wanted $750 for the job. There's no wiring involved, its literally right next to the battery. $400 for the compressor, $350 in labour. How many people with rocks in their head will pay that?

Paddler Ed

A month ago, I thought I'd ask ARB how much to fit one of their compressors in the big space right next to the battery under the bonnet of my car. My current compressor cost $150 and is great but too big for the space. They wanted $750 for the job. There's no wiring involved, its literally right next to the battery. $400 for the compressor, $350 in labour. How many people with rocks in their head will pay that?
Ever wonder how you get to a "My Hilux/LandCruiser/Patrol etc has $25,000 of accessories fitted, so it's worth $100k" situation?

Yep, that's how... If ordered before delivery I think it can all go on the tax invoice so it can be written down by the accountant at tax time, or it can be bundled into the vehicle finance package.

Triton14

Best customer is a repeat customer
You would think so, but I think they just work off the fact there will be another sucker around the corner.

Easier to do in a big town, in a smaller area with far fewer customers your risking your business.
In saying that if your the main operator I guess you think you have the upper hand?