Tire bulge under load

havok011101

Hey guys,

I got a load of sand in my Hilux today, only about 1/2 a cubic meter, so I'm guessing 500-600kg, my question is how much should I expect my tires to bulge out under that kind of load. Obviously they seemed pretty bad to me, but I didn't think to get a picture, but I guess there is alot of rubber in the wall to flex?

I'm not sure of my exact tires, check out my pics in another post, but they're 30inch Bridgestone Dueler ATs, I have been keeping them at around 35 pressure for road use, does that sound reasonable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Your'e in Townsville???? :confused: Bit wet there??? :confused: I'll bet 1/2 mtr of sand weighs more than the lux is supposed to carry!! :rolleyes:

Don't panic, They're only flat on one side!! :D

Just remember, Hiluxes were built only to look good and carry esky's and surfboards, were'nt they? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

havok011101

I checked it out today and it recons 1200kg load. I could be very wrong though.

I've had way more sand than than in a falcon ute before, so I would imaging it's alright.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
1200 kg's sounds like a LOT!! I'de be checking the placard again. 1/2 a cubic mtr of water weighs 500 kgs. I'll bet sand weighs more. I'll bet a dual cab LUX should'nt carry more than 700 kgs. I could be wrong!!

Just glad I'm not ya tires!!

havok011101

Hrmm, lets probably not do that again then.

Yes it's very wet up here, been raining for aaaages now.

I want to get out for a bash but its probably a bit too muddy most of the places......

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
HAHAHAHAAHAA! GOOD IDEA!! Hey, at least ya know if ya have too......bla bla bla!

gdog

I'm sure the hilux can't do a tonne realistically. Half a tonne is getting up there for them. Sure the book might say that the tray can handle it, but springs and the like can't. Just look at them. Bet they were dead flat when your loaded. (bad)

The tyre bulge will depend on the profile and ply of the tyre your using. Tyres too have a load rating, typically marked on the tyre. Check that out and don't worry about how much they bulge. Just don't run full pressure when loaded. 35psi sounds ok.

havok011101

Thanks for the advise guys, I think I will be bit hesitant about doing it again unless I have to. Maybe time for a 1/4 metre load!

I'm pretty sure the suspension didn't bottom out when it was full but I was in the cab after all. There certainly wasn't the creaks and groans that I expected from expiriences with my falcon ute.

Anyways, thanks again, will check out the tire specs and see what they have to say.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
When you buy sand and gravel and stuff, most machine buckets carry about a 1/4 mtr. 1 scoop for qtr. 2 scoops for a 1/2. generally.

Pure Yobbo

Put some more air in those tyres before you go. I used to run 40psi in my Hilux and more with a load.

I used to put 3/4 metre in the back of my old hilux. Umm interesting ride but we got there in the end.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Put some more air in those tyres before you go. I used to run 40psi in my Hilux and more with a load.

I used to put 3/4 metre in the back of my old hilux. Umm interesting ride but we got there in the end.

I'll bet ya would'nt do it wet! That could be an extra 1/4 tonne! Poor luxy would snap in half!

Pure Yobbo

came close to snapping it... She was a good old workhorse that one - when I broke that one the bride said you need a bigger ute and then came the Patrol.

havok011101

Hrmmm again thanks guys. Might up the pressure in my tyres a bit then, I've been keeping them at 35psi since I've bought it, so I guess that's a little low?

Feelin a bit stupid, but I guess I have to learn somehow!! As long as I didn't hurt it.

But yeah, I don't think the suspension was the weak point in this case, but yeah maybe 1/2 a cu mtr might be pushing it a bit, but maybe OK in a pinch. I expected the back to settle waaay more than it actually did.... but driving it was pretty much the same, so I'm pleased with that.