Tims Thicket Beach

Hey guys.
Quick write up after a quick morning on Tims Thicket and Whitehills beaches.

Hit the beach at the northern entrance at Tims Thickett. Found it pretty easy going. The track in is pretty hard packed, slightly corrugated but not too bad.

Once on the beach, the sand is pretty soft, but seems to be a popular spot so there are plenty of tracks to follow in which make the going a bit easier.

Today wasn't too busy so we pulled up in a quiet spot down near Seal Rock amd chilled out for a little while.
Let the boy off the lead and the fur baby out for a run. :p

Only shot of the day with the Nav in it!

The wife wants to get into photography so she wandered off, phone in hand to take "creative shots". I'm more into finding interesting things like creepy crawlies in rock pools or abandoned 4 X 4's half buried in the sand!

After our stop off, the plan was to head past Seal Rock and down to the Whitehills Rd exit and head home on the low tide. Getting past Seal Rock wasn't really an issue, the sand was a bit soft and chopped up but we got through it ok, up over the rocks and on to Whitehills beach. We tried to find the Whitehills Rd exit but it isn't sign posted and we weren't sure where to go. Headed down south a bit further and asked a few people if they knew the way, turns out they all came in the north end. So around we turned to head back north and exit. The beach south of Seal Rock is a bit wider and somewhat flatter and fairly popular too. Next time we go, we're going to head in on the Whitehills Rd entry and head north.

A couple of things I learnt today;
-Don't fight the sand.
-If you change gears, do it quick
-Dogs get car sick. Oh boy do they get car sick.

All told though, myself, wifey, the little fella and the dog seemed to enjoy the day and a learned a lot about how my ute behaves on sand.

Hope you enjoyed the read.
Cheers,
Chris

Ps. Sorry about the edits, teying to work out photobucket!

Last edited:

80lover96gxl

Sounds like a great day out for you and the family.

Can be great fun beach driving and interesting learning how your vehicle reacts to the softer and harder sand.

Bumma about the dogs bout of motion sickness tho, lol.

Do you carry maxxtraxx and what tyre pressures were you running ?

Thanks for sharing.

It was a good day out. I think the ute being thrown around as it followed the tracks are what upset her, we were getting shunted from side to side a bit.

Haven't got maxtrax yet but they are on the list of required items, however we have a basic recovery kit.
Started out with 20 psi then dropped to 16 for the run on Whitehills beach. Probably could've done it ok at 20 but 16 was fine.

80lover96gxl

It was a good day out. I think the ute being thrown around as it followed the tracks are what upset her, we were getting shunted from side to side a bit.

Haven't got maxtrax yet but they are on the list of required items, however we have a basic recovery kit.
Started out with 20 psi then dropped to 16 for the run on Whitehills beach. Probably could've done it ok at 20 but 16 was fine.
16 psi would be easier on your driveline than 20 for sure.

Yeah maxxtraxx or treads are a must if going for solo beach or sand drives, there's a thread on here somewhere about some ebay knockoffs ,, think they were called maxxtreads or somthing similar, and quite abit cheaper than maxxtraxx.

Often its better to let the car almost stear itself when driving sandy ruts rather than fighting the wheel, can lead to a smoother drive.

Enjoy your nav and the places it can take you.

Cheers.

darb

12-14psi will make things a breeze. 20psi is rock hard. I run 12-14psi always. Never varies. Never muck around with 20, just always to12-14 right from the get go.

Hav done thousands of km on boggy soft beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

red hilux

12-14psi will make things a breeze. 20psi is rock hard. I run 12-14psi always. Never varies. Never muck around with 20, just always to12-14 right from the get go.

Hav done thousands of km on boggy soft beaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
same for me, I always start at 12 for whitehills, tims, wilbinga, lancelin (not the dunes )

cloughcarib

Good writeup thanks for sharing. We get some quite soft sand over here as well, and I agree with the last couple of comments. Go down to 10-12 psi and you'll feel a world of difference.

Give it time, the dog will get used to the travel.

darb

yep, but drop to 12-14psi and it'll be even smoother, easier and nicer on the vehicle.

every 2 psi i drop, i notice a distinct difference.

Could probably get around on 40psi with enough right foot, and stress... but all that does is rip things up, use more fuel, and shake the kidneys out of the mrs.