Tigerz11 12,000Lbs Winch Install

brett80

Hi all,

Just thought I would give my thoughts on the Tigerz11 12,000lbs Electric Winch.
This version comes with Synthetic Rope, wireless and wired remote and retails for $845. I know there are more expensive winches around that have long track records, but for me, price was big part, and they appear (From the specs and many reviews) to be a good winch.

The installation is relatively simple.

Mount the winch to the bulbar (Take it off if you can, it is much easier, we tried with it on and it was too difficult)

My bar is a ARB Hi – Lo Mount bar and the curve at the front is too much for the length of the winch, we had to make up 2 x 150mm long 8mm thick adapter plates to move the winch closer into the car to stop it touching the bar. And then spend 1hr in the shed looking for some spare longer hi-tensile bolts to mount the winch and fairlead with.
Connect all the wires from the control box to the winch, and the Pos and Neg to your secondary battery.

The gap in the bar is designed for wire rollers and not a fairlead, I had to cut the bit out in the third photo, so the rope would only touch the fairlead and not the steel bar.

I decided to mount the control box at the rear of the winch under the radiator to allow the maximum air flow (I also don't like the control boxes poking up over a bull bar, but thats just me). The switch on the control box has 3 modes, off, wireless remote and cord remote, simple and easy to use.

I have a few concerns over the long term, the winch seems to be well seeled and the connections are solid. But, the control box has gaps in the back and the switch is going to need some waterproofing if you head anywhere near deep water.

From the first 2 uses it has been great :p

Hopefully it will continue tomorrow when we head out bush,

Brett

Attachments

• Bar Off.jpg
    Bar Off.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 564
  • Winch in.jpg
    Winch in.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Fairlead mod.jpg
    Fairlead mod.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 532
  • control box.jpg
    control box.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 732

Quozie

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi had drama installing mine too....I have a Nissan Origianl winch bar and found the bar was too low and that the winch had to sit between the Chassis. Winch had to be installed back to front and had to trim the contacts to "just" fit. What appeared to be a simple job on the video installation took all day.

wedgie34

Have had the same winch for a couple years now. Used it several times. Bought mine back then direct for $650! No problems installing the winch on an Ironman Commercial bullbar...

It is showing some rust signs on the bolts, connections, etc... so might pull it out this summer an regrease everything etc...

Pure Yobbo

Hi Brett,

I am in the middle of doing a similar install into my GQ and was looking for ideas to mount the control box when i noticed this thread. I have the same winch and it has a waterproof cover that goes over that switch - maybe yours was just missing?

Have you had any issues with the control box being mounted there?

OutBacker

I have Tigerz11 with the new control box. It is called a Hi Amp control box and apparently it is waterproof. Well I can say for sure it is not waterproof. The solenoid might be internally waterproof but all of the connections are not. As someone else said the bolts and screws holding it together are prone to rusting fairly quickly.

It looks to me like the safest place to mount your control box is in the engine bay or inside the cab (if you feel like running 3 lots of 2GA or 0GA cable through the firewall).

DavidJ

Brett

I was installing my Tigerz11 12,000lb winch today when I realised that I had lost the Terminal A screw. That's the one under the motor that takes the thin black cable from the control box and the black cable that connects to the -ve battery terminal.

Can you describe it - size and thread - so I can find a replacement?

If not, trial and error should do the trick:)

Thanks

David

Watt

I have the same winch, and as pure yobbo said mine has the waterproof cover on the switch... but the controll box itself is not water proof.. if you submerged it on a crossing it would fill up from the back.
I mounted my controll box between my spotties in the front of my bar as there were already mounting holes there.
I had a couple of issues mounting mine too...
issue one i had was the knob for "engage" and "freespool" would not freespool, i unscrewed the handle and took it off and there was a tiny rubber grommet stopping the handle from locking into freespool.. i just pulled it out and put the handle back on and now its been working fine.
when mounting the winch the bolts were not long enough for the fairlead and winch so i mounted the fairlead on seperate bolts and this mean't i had to space the winch back off the bar a few mm... this also meant the handle was touching the radiator mount so i had to modify this a little so the handle could rotate freely.
I must admit apart from the little rubber washer playing up all the other mounting issues would have popped up fitting any other winch...
Its just the space i had.

brett80

David J

Is it new? If it is ring the Tigerz11 warranty guys and they will replace it for you.

I'm out west camping, I can't get to that screw without removing the bull bar :)

PS over the last few months I have had some control box issues, I have now removed the wireless controller from the box and wired the hand controller (I have it dash mounted) wired direct to the solenoid.

Brett

DavidJ

I'm out west camping, I can't get to that screw without removing the bull bar :)

Well, what's stopping you getting that bullbar off, Brett?:)

I have contacted Tigerz11 but I thought it would be quicker to get a replacement screw myself.

My ARB bar provides for a vertical installation and the mounting plate is double skinned, meaning that the high tensile bolts were too short. I bought longer bolts but had to shorten them so they wouldn't foul on the nut housings.

I mounted the control box on the left side of the winch and the cables didn't reach the winch motor terminals. Still, extending the cables is easy.

Apart from that, the installation went well and I just need that machine screw before I can test the winch.

Enjoy the camping - I'm at work:(

brett80

Fishing is :)

Sounds good, we will have to meet up for a winch challenge when I have my 4wd back together early next month :p

Brett

cptmud

I have Tigerz11 with the new control box. It is called a Hi Amp control box and apparently it is waterproof. Well I can say for sure it is not waterproof. The solenoid might be internally waterproof but all of the connections are not. As someone else said the bolts and screws holding it together are prone to rusting fairly quickly.

It looks to me like the safest place to mount your control box is in the engine bay or inside the cab (if you feel like running 3 lots of 2GA or 0GA cable through the firewall).

had the same problem with mine, getting a new solinoid for it, waiting to be delivered, will be mounting the unit in the engine bay, not worring about the cordless remote as i will be running an incab switch, and using plenty of silicon to make sure the solinoid is watertight

DavidJ

My control box seems to be sealed quite well; but I will be giving it a good coating of white lithium. It has the yellow remote control receiver.

I do have a couple of issues with my winch installation: The first is whether I need to fit an inline fuse or fusible link in the cable leading from the +ve terminal to the control box? The second is how best to protect the winch rope from UV rays? I was thinking of making a canvas cover to go over the winch.

sheeba

Sheeba

Gday there mate. I am a new member and I need some advise or some diagrams, Pics or whatever to fir a Tugrize 12000lb Winch to a Nissan Navara D-40 2009 model Ute Twin Cab.

Can you or any one ekse help me please, as the people I bought it off are absolutely HOPELESS mate.

Thanks

Dave

DavidJ

Gday there mate. I am a new member and I need some advise or some diagrams, Pics or whatever to fir a Tugrize 12000lb Winch to a Nissan Navara D-40 2009 model Ute Twin Cab.

Can you or any one ekse help me please, as the people I bought it off are absolutely HOPELESS mate.

Thanks

Dave

Dave

Everything you need is on the Tigerz11 website: Tigerz11.com.au

There's a contact email if you need more assistance.

Cheers

David

Last edited: