Thuraya on Optus or Pivotel

mauriceb

I used my Thuraya XT lite daily on a 10 day trip almost every night at camp in the VHC and had no problems . I'm connected directly thru Pivotel $15 / month. Not sure if optus go via Pivotel but assume they would to obtain the Aust Mobile Number. I also tested my Isatphone in same locations .It also worked (don't have credit on it thou) but took longer to lock in as it requires a gps signal . Once locked to a gps signal it gives a notification tone that your connected to the service.

Last edited:

mikehzz

My Isatphone is a pain in tbe arse, if it was an emergency you'd be dead before it locked on. Also, it often says its locked on but won't send a text with a network error.

monbeg

I got back home on Monday after eight days around the Balcanoona etc area in The Gammon Ranges.
Made and received calls every night on my Thuraya/Pivotel sat phone without any issues.
Making sure that the phone knows its geographical position is an essential part of the process.

shaun0

Ive go the Iridium Extreme on Pivotel 50 a month. Up in the Vic High country the other week we got reception in the deep valleys but it was in an out as satellites passed over. Was still good though as there are plenty of sats. Its a tough unit as well.

Ashbine

Looking at Sat comm options for when I do the Canning next year. Does anyone have the Satsleeve Hotspot and if so are they are good? For the period I'm away Sat phone hire quotes are coming back around $800 so buying my own device is an option now and I'm drawn to the satsleeve hotspot.

I already have an optus mobile. If I have an Optus sat plan do I keep the same number using the Satsleeve?

Thanks in advance.

ElectricBug

Ashbine
$800 to hire, I assume you are going for 13 weeks?
If you are going to use a sat phone, you are best to go with a sat phone company like Pivotel with connection. Optus would not be my first choice. You won't be able to use the same number as that is programmed for mobile and not for satellite network. However, you can just switch divert on and divert your mobiles calls to the sat phone number.
Happy to help you further if you want to PM or call me.

Ashbine

Thanks mate. I’ll look into that. My total hire period is around 13 weeks so you were right. Figured I might as well buy one as I plan to do a lot more remote travel in the future so purchasing looks to be more cost effective. I spent 30 minutes waiting to speak to an Optus person in a shopfront yesterday. When I finally got served and asked about satellite plans I got donuts!!

LurchWA

Looking at Sat comm options for when I do the Canning next year. Does anyone have the Satsleeve Hotspot and if so are they are good? For the period I'm away Sat phone hire quotes are coming back around $800 so buying my own device is an option now and I'm drawn to the satsleeve hotspot.

I already have an optus mobile. If I have an Optus sat plan do I keep the same number using the Satsleeve?

Thanks in advance.
I have the hotspot and have found it pretty good had good coverage in the Murchison recently with an Iphone 6 (Telstra). Keep your contacts and own number.
Cost was about 800 + the external antenna & car charger so close to a $1000 and signed up for a Pivotel account at $15 a month.
I dont reckon you can go too wrong with them.