Thuraya on Optus or Pivotel

Looking at getting a Thuraya XTLite on a minimum plan. The handset is $700 from Optus and $799 from Pivotel or their resellers. The $15 plan seems to be similar but Optus only offer the $15 plan and are half the cost for data (which I doubt I'd use). Is anyone with Optus and can comment?

mac_man_luke

Cant really see there being any difference, runs on the same network just different reseller.
Does optus give you a normal mobile no like pivotel do?

Hmm, actually they phrase it ambiguously;
"The Thuraya XT-LITE uses a satellite SIM card and has satellite phone number providing local numbering. This means you aren’t stung with expensive satellite call rates - it’s free to receive calls and affordable to use. "

I'd certainly be clarifying that.

red99td5

Have u considered a phone on the iridium network, can still get the Aussie mobile no so people can call u for free, unless your living in the top end the coverage can be lousy with Theraya and Inmarsat

LurchWA

Cant comment on Optus.
Dont know if this applies or not but have a sat sleeve with pivotel and cant really fault its value for money
Kept my normal number and invested in an external aerial than can be mounted on the roof in case of poor coverage
Not perfect but pretty good for occasional use

mauriceb

unless your living in the top end the coverage can be lousy with Theraya and Inmarsat[/QUOTE] I have both Thuraya and Isatphone. Thuraya's I prefer. Both work in Southern states .Even as far down as Esperance WA. I haven't been to VHC so can't comment, however my old Iridium wasn't that great either in deep valleys

Last edited:

mauriceb

Cant comment on Optus.
Dont know if this applies or not but have a sat sleeve with pivotel and cant really fault its value for money
Kept my normal number and invested in an external aerial than can be mounted on the roof in case of poor coverage
Not perfect but pretty good for occasional use
Satsleeve is Thuraya exactly the same service and sim as there XT Lite / XT Pro model . External Antenna doesn't boost signal .Just places antenna in view to the Satetite for uninterrupted service. Thuraya Xt lite ,Isatphone and Retired Telits
IMG_20190101_083710.jpg

barcher

Thuraya coverage map now includes Tas and all mainland oz.
Screenshot_20190212-111839.png

A few years ago when I was curious about sat phones, pretty sure coverage was only the top two thirds of mainland.

Last edited:

stevemc181

I'd never go with Thuraya, solely for the fact it's a company based in the UAE and we all know what they think about human rights. Buggered if they will ever get my support by choice. C'mon Elon Musk, bring on the starlink program!

mac_man_luke

Thuraya might work there but you still need line of sight to the satellite which is quite low in the sky in the south east
Immarsat is slightly better but expensive these days
Iridium is best but also not cheap, around $35/m min and no prepaid options.