Thoughts on PCV

Zamunda

Hey everyone

Hope everyone is keeping sane considering the strange times we live in.

Need your thoughts on this...

My 80 series is a 1997 petrol model. Done 300,000km. Recently during a routine service, the garage I have always gone to suggested I get the PCV valve clean along with the intake system cleaned. They said as the mileage builds up it is a good thing to do because over time the breathing system can get compromised. Since my 80 does not have a catch can they also recommended installing one. So I got the clean done and a can installed. Since the install, I can feel the engine is a lot smoother and appears to rev a lot happier. I am not expecting massive improvements to power or fuel economy. My main idea is the engine is clean and there by running a bit more efficiently. She is an old girl afterall so happy to do anything to keep the motor happy.

I then told a friend of mine about this. He in turn asked his garage about it. He has a 1991 1HDT 80 series. Done about 360k. He was adviced not to do the clean. His mechanic had said "by cleaning you will be removing the carbon built up around the piston rings which will then result in increased oil consumption." My friend was also told the 1HDT "does not have a PCV valve as it did not come with one from the factory." When I visited a Toyota Parts website they have PCV valves for sale for the 1HDT.

I find this advice to be a bit strange. Then again I am no expert.

What do you make of this?

RDM

Hey everyone

Hope everyone is keeping sane considering the strange times we live in.

Need your thoughts on this...

My 80 series is a 1997 petrol model. Done 300,000km. Recently during a routine service, the garage I have always gone to suggested I get the PCV valve clean along with the intake system cleaned. They said as the mileage builds up it is a good thing to do because over time the breathing system can get compromised. Since my 80 does not have a catch can they also recommended installing one. So I got the clean done and a can installed. Since the install, I can feel the engine is a lot smoother and appears to rev a lot happier. I am not expecting massive improvements to power or fuel economy. My main idea is the engine is clean and there by running a bit more efficiently. She is an old girl afterall so happy to do anything to keep the motor happy.

I then told a friend of mine about this. He in turn asked his garage about it. He has a 1991 1HDT 80 series. Done about 360k. He was adviced not to do the clean. His mechanic had said "by cleaning you will be removing the carbon built up around the piston rings which will then result in increased oil consumption." My friend was also told the 1HDT "does not have a PCV valve as it did not come with one from the factory." When I visited a Toyota Parts website they have PCV valves for sale for the 1HDT.

I find this advice to be a bit strange. Then again I am no expert.

What do you make of this?
I would suggest your friend finds a new mechanic....