Thoughts on Leather steering wheel rejuvenation?

madmonk

The surface of my wheel left a lot to be desired so I purchased a new leather "wrap" from eBay to go over it. This wrap is now showing wear like you have pictured. I had thought that the easiest thing to do was remove the old wrap and replace it with a new one but I will try applying a very thin application of Dubbin to see if this helps restore the leather's condition.

Rusty Panels

I had a similar issue with one of my old cars but that started by someone when they did a wheel alignment. They clamped the steering wheel with something that had a sharp edge which cut the leather. I bought one of the ebay replacements and it turned out great. I sold the car shortly after so don't know if it stood the test of time but I'm guessing it would be ok.
Your wheel looks to be suffering from perspiration damage. The salt will eat into the leather. You could put boot polish onto it but I don't think it will do much other than make the wheel sticky. The boot polishes are wax so will break down in heat. I would probably recover it and then give it a regular wipe over with a good leather cleaner to keep it clean and protect it from the salt. Alternatively you could always turn yourself into one of those rather dapper chaps that wears leather driving gloves. :)

Toddyh

Got a very similar problem with mine. There's a bunch of repair kits out there but they aren't cheap.

Bomber2012

Leather steering wheel cover .... my wheel was the same , cover wasn't expensive and it actually feels better driving .

darb

yeah my conern is the cheapo ones on ebay and such will wear our quickly and ill be facing same issue in a year ?

Rusty Panels

As I said I have no idea how long the cheapy I put on lasted for but it looked fine and was definitely real leather. Nothing likes UV and heat. Maybe one of those leather slip on types would be better if you can find the right size?

darb

Cheers fellas, some good advice. For now I just stare at it each day and lament that i've been too lazy to do someting about it :)

dno67

I wonder how many genuine leather covers, are actually real leather and not the PU leather ? I've seen some you wouldn't pick between the two, and lm wondering if the PU product might age better.