Thomas 8000lb winch on HJ47

Which type, electric (EW8000) or PTO (W8000)?
I have the electric one on my HJ47
It's a 12v one, I got it at a clearing sale for $10. The clutch would not engage but when I cleaned up the mechanism it worked fine.
It looks like it may fit on my HJ47 with a bit of bumper adjustment. I haven't got a bullbar so mounting behind and slightly above the bumper seems the go. I might have to make up a bracket to bring the bumper forward a couple of inches.
Any comments, tips, photos welcome.
Cheers

JP147

The clutch should have a grease nipple on the side, make sure that is still there as well as 2 for the lever.
There are 2 gearboxes in the electric version, each with its own oil. It would be a good idea to replace the oils. The box on the front takes gear oil and the worm box behind it takes a thick worm gear oil.

Thomas W8000 and EW8000 were fitted on 40 series from new at dealerships. They used a mounting bracket like this that bolted to the factory recovery points.

Also they had brackets to space the bumper further forward.

These winches use a good amount of power and can draw up to 250 amps. I used 00 B&S cable both positive and negative going to the battery, and have 2 batteries powering it.

I replaced the original solenoids with a Runva waterproof one because they would sometimes play up when water would get into them.

The clutch should have a grease nipple on the side, make sure that is still there as well as 2 for the lever.
There are 2 gearboxes in the electric version, each with its own oil. It would be a good idea to replace the oils. The box on the front takes gear oil and the worm box behind it takes a thick worm gear oil.

Thomas W8000 and EW8000 were fitted on 40 series from new at dealerships. They used a mounting bracket like this that bolted to the factory recovery points.

Also they had brackets to space the bumper further forward.

These winches use a good amount of power and can draw up to 250 amps. I used 00 B&S cable both positive and negative going to the battery, and have 2 batteries powering it.

I replaced the original solenoids with a Runva waterproof one because they would sometimes play up when water would get into them.

Thanks mate, good info and photos. Will send some photos when set up.

There's a hex plug on the front box and a plug on the end of the worm box. Just a matter of taking these out and draining and replace with prescribed type and volume of oil???

Thanks
In your experience does the middle of the spindle have to be aligned with the centre line of the truck. Ideally it should be I'm assuming but does it matter if it's off centre by a couple of inches

It doesn't really matter, mine is far from being in the centre.

Thanks mate, thanks for photo, mine will be in the same position as yours. Only way I could fit it in and bolt frame to chassis.. I'm in the process of making some brackets similar to original ones to get the bumper out another 2 inches. I wanted standard bumper to stay.
Thanks for your help with this.....almost done
Cheers.

Thanks mate, thanks for photo, mine will be in the same position as yours. Only way I could fit it in and bolt frame to chassis.. I'm in the process of making some brackets similar to original ones to get the bumper out another 2 inches. I wanted standard bumper to stay.
Thanks for your help with this.....almost done
Cheers.
All done.
IMG_20191104_125749.jpg

No cable as yet. The bottom roller is pretty much level with the shaft of the bare spindle. The frame etc. looks as though it's original, confirmed when I spoke to the blokes at Gears and Winches in Qld. Should it feed from top or bottom?

Looks good, best choice of electric winch for a 40 IMO.
Thanks.
I notice your winch spools from the top. Mine will as well....the way the frame is set up there is no choice, the top of the spindle is level with the bottom roller. Any issues with it spooling from the top?

Batts88

I thought it had an effect on the brake not holding correctly and it may also have something to do with the cut of the teeth in the gears I would check first if you can find someone who deals with your model you don't want the brake failing when you need it.

There is no problem with these spooling from the top, it is how they are supposed to be.
The brake on these winches is only there to stop the drum unraveling when the clutch is disengaged.
While it is operating it does not need a brake because it has a worm gear so the motor can turn the winch but the winch can't turn the motor.

If you want spare parts or more information, this winch is currently made by Gears and Winches in QLD and is now called the EW 8.

Here is the brochure:
https://www.winch.com.au/pdf/EW8.pdf

And the parts breakdown:
https://www.winch.com.au/pdf/ew8/ew8PartsList.pdf