This my be a big problem?

jimbob

This may be a big problem?

I am just about to fit 33x10.5x15 BFG muddys (on their own rims,so this would mean the muddys are only for offroad) on my ute ....problem is , will these be to big and scrub up ? Im gettin pretty worried about it. (new ones are a non return deal, but new) Im runnin 31x10.5x15 Cooper STs at the moment. Ive done a 2" suspension lift front and back .
So thoughts / things to watch and opionions are very welcome.....

Massive dilemma...

Option 2.
Leave 31x10.5x15 on and get new muddys on those..................................

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Snap

How did you find the sure tracs as I have just fitted a set , how many kms have you got out of them ???
Cheers Snap

jimbob

just did measurement on flat ground tyre str8 ahead ...it 4" or 105mm ( thats to front of side step/impact bar

Last edited:

jimbob

Snap , i measured the tread while i was out there then got 7mm on the middle...to answer your Question simply.......Awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!! took odo read when installed in log ..was 182k now on 267k and still half life left...so as i said AWSOME !!! wont be buying any other road use ones other than STs.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thought of a body lift. Cheap, easy and will work for what you want. Although, 33's MAY be a little big.

jimbob

cheers for the info , but 2" and full wind on bars in the front is all i can do (made a phone call to my brother again...lol), so body lift is out damn it, but good idea.

Sharky

33's will most definitely rub especially when the wheels are turned left or right. I could be wrong but I thought 33's only came in 12" width. The biggest 10" tyres are 32's from memory, which if I'm right will cause even bigger issues coz legally 33's must be fitted to an 8" rim & I doubt the offset will be the same as what you have now. Also, your accelleration will be slower & your speedo will be out coz effectively you're changing your final drive ratio.

If you're wondering how long it takes for a tyre to be chewed out from a bit of rubbing, the answer is 1 4x4 trip.

Have a look at this......did a google search on "body lift for a 99 ford ranger"...........
Ford Ranger Body Lift Kit 1998-00 4x4 & 2wd - 3" Kits by Performance Accessories

Last edited:

jimbob

Ok ...my brother is a knob end (should be stricken off the shonky mech list ...lol) Body lift is do able and will be happening very soon for US$215.00 /3".As for the tyres i have decided to go the Maxxix bighorns, they have a lot of good raps and seem to be a good tyre (well see)...again thanks for the info .

Cheers

Last edited:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
As for tyres, My recommendation is for ANYTHING with three ply walls. (maxxis don't)

see the tyre section.

jimbob

Right ...due to the global financial crap and the dragon lady being a tight ass with the sponoodlas....its between bighorns and nankang ..............any opionions out there.

Sharky

Mate, have a look at that link I posted. I'm pretty sure that kit was only 180 bucks but not sure if it was US or AU but it's still better than 215

Double check the width of ya tyres because I'm almost positive 33's only come in 12'' wide and I doubt they'd fit your car. I know for a fact that 33's must be fitted to an 8'' rim which I think is because they're 12'' wide.

Go the big horns if that's your only 2 options. For a cheap tyre, they're pretty good.

Last edited:

jimbob

yep cheers again mate, i think i just dodged a bullet there with the 33s , i am pushin towards the bighorns (coopers for road use on own rims)............and i have emailed the US supplier to check if retailed in OZ, do you know of a OZ supplier of the same kits.