Thinking about getting Kings Laser driving lights/lightbar.

wocko1

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the new Kings laser lightbar and driving lights, because I am planning on upgrading my driving lights, currently using some cheapies at the moment. I am looking at some good quality driving lights as I do a lot of night driving and encounter a lot of kangaroos and wombats. The Kings stuff seems like good value, and my mate seems happy with his King's Domin8or lights, but am curious to see what the Laser lights are like. I couldn't find many reviews online.

CaptainBanana

Well Kings are not considered quality at all Kings are just considered the the second cheapest line of products on the market after no name eBay stuff.

Seems like kings lights that I've looked at over the years end up with murky yellow lenses (non uv stable) if this is not reason enough to buy something decent I don't know what is.

I can't think of many examples in life where something was both good and the cheapest.

cam04

Light technology is cheap now. I use the the same cheap ($180 pair) XTM's from BCF as the all for adventure blokes. For what they do they are a complete bargain.

Triton14

Seems like kings lights that I've looked at over the years end up with murky yellow lenses (non uv stable) if this is not reason enough to buy something decent I don't know what is.
Ive also seen plenty of headlights on high end European cars come to the same fate.

OP you dont have to spend the earth these days on lights as in general as time goes on even cheap end quality rises

My 460W light bar cost $75 on ebay 8 years ago & its still going strong & for its size puts out an excelent amount of light.

One thing to consider is that the light might work well & give you good service sometimes its the other components that can let you dont like the wiring looms or the connections etc.

This is one thing that with buying the higher end lights you would more likely get a higher end harness & connections.

You can of course but a seperate harness & hang onto the kings for as a backup.

Most likely like nearly everything these days 80% of lights would be made in China & rebadged.

I'd be looking at some online rewievs & go from there.

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

Ive also seen plenty of headlights on high end European cars come to the same fate.

OP you dont have to spend the earth these days on lights as in general as time goes on even cheap end quality rises

My 460W light bar cost $75 on ebay 8 years ago & its still going strong & for its size puts out an excelent amount of light.

One thing to consider is that the light might work well & give you good service sometimes its the other components that can let you dont like the wiring looms or the connections etc.

This is one thing that with buying the higher end lights you would more likely get a higher end harness & connections.

You can of course but a seperate harness & hang onto the kings for as a backup.

I'd be looking at some online rewievs & go from there.

Different - factory lights are coated and eventually that disappears, heap lights are just using low grade perspex of some sort I'd guess

Skurfer

Have a look at STEDI lights. Aussie designed manufactured in China. Really good quality and don't cost the earth. I have run many of their lights over the years and been happy. Their wiring looms that come with the lights are quite good quality with Deutsche plugs and thick gauge wiring.

I have had too many electrical things from 4wdsupacentre fail over the years that I don't bother buying them anymore. Their quality may have improved since I last bought something electrical from them but I won't be testing it out.

Neddysmith

I would be wary of lights from Kings they may last they may not, but i would suggest that the brackets certainly wont. I had a pair of lightforce LED and the brackets failed on those, the difference was Lightforce came to the party and actually re placed the whole lights under warranty even though i had no receipt and they were older lights. SO MASSIVE KUDOS to LIghtforce for their aftermarket support and service.

Albynsw

My young bloke has a set of the Kings 9 inch spotties and they are better than his expensive GreatWhite lights that were about $1000
The problem with them though is the brackets don’t handle the off-road corragations and break from fatigue. He had to get the brackets replaced at Weipa but light output is great

Bru9

Laser lights = 100% marketing gimmicks. You have been warned. In laymen talk they do jack #### better over anything else.

You could have a NASA made light and still hit kangaroos that jump out of nowhere. The better approach is to shave off 10km/h in those areas and be extra cautious. But if one wanted a good setup to see them better you would go 2 pairs of driving lights, the second aimed at the road edges.

Baggs71

Different - factory lights are coated and eventually that disappears, heap lights are just using low grade perspex of some sort I'd guess
Actually methymethacrylate lenses and polycarbonate..yes yellow in time...and yes all car lights are coated..and normally yellow after some dumb idiot polishes them...removing the uv coating..thus yellowing..brand like stedi etc etc use lexan gor lenses......crystal clear .......i also had a two mates here in SA buy ebay leds...shone like crazy...until i rocked up with smaller output stedis...and blew them away.....so if your after cheap..buy cheap..if you want quality...you may not find it cheap

Good response for OP

Baggs71

Youve probibly covered this already but gotta explain from my view
Thereis nothing wrong with buying any lights you want whatsover!
If it was a waterpump?..yes pay for quality not cheap!
But your asking about a non safety item...a simple set of lights
I remember when halogens were all the go...and hid...then led started punching 1.3klms with 1 lux!!!!!...game over..led lights are the bomb.....
If your buying cheap lights it does not matter a rats ass if your upgrading from halogens etc because its gunna be an awesome upgrade!
If you want quality yes you start paying for it...but i draw the line at spending $1300 on a light bar!...each to their own.....
Ive been on a remote beach and seen first hand ebay vs snake racing etc light bars....yes Quality wins ...BUT!!! we are not racing in the finke or baja....we are just normal 4wders!...ANY LED OR LASER will be fine!

Enjoy the upgrade

Frawls

Caution, my son purchased a set of driving lights within a week they were full of condensation.

Rusty Panels

I had a pair of 9" Kings on my car and they were great. Had no issues with them at all. I only changed them for aesthetics as they looked a bit too big. They worked well and certainly lit up the road, they are also solidly made. Don't listen too closely to all the knockers who will go on about quality of the light output and how much is reflected back at you from signposts. All lights regardless of the brand and price will reflect back at you with these stupid modern reflective signs. In my opinion they are good value for money. You will buy more than 3 sets of Kings for the cost of 1 set of the so called better ones. I reckon they may even come from the same company.

I also had a $50 26" light bar from Ebay that was still going strong after 5 years of use. I don't think a $500 one would have been any better.