Think-Out AGM Batteries from eBay

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi All,

A heads up to steer well clear of an eBay seller called Think-Out who sell Maverick Power and other deep cycle battieries on eBay. I purchased one which was meant to be rated at 165 amp hours. After charging on the 7 stage charger and installiing into the rear of the vehicle, it discharged to und3r 9 volts in about 6 hours. Ran through the charge process again, plugged it back in and same again, very quick discharge.

Took it to a battery place and they load tested etc and told me that the battery was at best a 60 amp hour battery. It weighed about 24 kilograms and told me that a 165 amp hour would normally be over 40 kilograms.

They refuse to refund or pay for return postage. Seem to just keep asking questions in an effort to frustrate you into giving up.

Have a look at the link below regarding product reviews. Dozens of others have had (and are still having) exactly the same negative experience.

Beware

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/think-out-1.html

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Dave
Not a great way to do business looking at the product review site......
Should have searched product reviews first, but they had no negative feedback on their eBay site. Sent a letter from Consumer Affairs, but they will no acknowledge receipt of it.

Usual rule of thumb is about 300grams per amp hour...100 amp hour about 30kilograms. 165amp I would expect at least to weigh around 50+ kilograms. There are heaps of sellers flogging overarted batteries. Thats why I only buy Fullriver. I get what I pay for...quality. Hope you get it sorted. Too often people look for the cheapest option only to be dudded. A wise man pays once...a foolish man twice.

smitty_r51

Yeah go through ebay...i had a similar issue with a lipo laptop battery that the seller insisted had to be sent to china even though i bought it from a online store in sydney...consumer affairs admitted they could do nothing, not even close him down or stophim using a australian abn...waste of time for consumers. Ebay just refunded me and took it on themselves to pursue the moneys

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Both eBay and PayPal have told me to return it for a refund. Seller states in his main eBay post that he is responsible for return postage, but will not honour that and requires buyer to fork out roughly $70 for postage back to him. Then says he will check the battery and if found faulty will offer a refund. Just as likely to be $70 out for postage and get no refund. Going through Consumer Affairs and VCAT now. VCAT only costs $60.

Albynsw

I assume that you have raised a dispute? In doing so Ebay freezes their bank account so that they can’t withdraw any funds until the dispute is settled
Personally I would be pushing Ebay a lot harder to resolve the issue, as long as the transaction is less than 30 days old they will sort it if you can show cause
I have spoken to them on the phone and I thought they were pretty keen to help you get a resolution

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
I assume that you have raised a dispute? In doing so Ebay freezes their bank account so that they can’t withdraw any funds until the dispute is settled
Personally I would be pushing Ebay a lot harder to resolve the issue, as long as the transaction is less than 30 days old they will sort it if you can show cause
I have spoken to them on the phone and I thought they were pretty keen to help you get a resolution
Thanks for the input. I have raised claims with both EBay and PayPal. EBay have said as it is over 30 days, I need to follow up with PayPal, which I have done. They have directed the seller to refund once I return, at my cost (about $70) to NSW from Melbourne. The seller originally said they would pay postage, but have now renegged. Dont feel I should be out of pocket $70 for a refund i may not get. Following up with Consumer Affairs and VCAT at the moment. Also getting the battery tested properly to determine what amp hour it actually is.

dno67

$70 is probably all they payed for the battery, sounds a bit dear for IMO.
I recently priced sending an excavator grab from nsw to home via ebay seller
and it was $200.

Albynsw

Fair enough, there are some pretty big businesses created on eBay. I know of a few that do chainsaws whipper snipers etc that are turning over over 100 million a year
In general I have found eBay quite a reliable place to purchase things

@Davidman , that is a bugger about the 30 days lapse, good luck with it all

First time caller.
But same story here fellas.
Ordered a 120a lithium off eBay.
Got email to state delivered. And nothing. I was home at the time. So got onto email to let them know something was wrong.
They flicked me onto toll. The delivery co.

If you want to visit their offices.
85 mars rd. Lane cove.
The managers name is norton.

I put in a negative feedback on eBay. And they appealed to have it removed.

Steer clear.

Last edited by a moderator: