There will be no more climbing on Ayers Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triton14

First thing i did when i heard about them closing Ayres Rock to climb was organise for me and the family to to drive up there and climb the thing, i was gonna drag my kids up kicking and screaming if needed, but thankfully they were keen as mustard and had no worries taking the 4 and 8yo up, in fact they wanted to do it again the next day. Everyone i was speaking to was only there for one reason and that was to climb the rock, not one person i spoke to in the 5 days there said they werent going to climb.

Dad was there about 5years ago and was speaking to one of the Aboriginal Rangers and talking about the possibility of cloising it for climbing it etc, he was dead against it and said what a load of rubbish, get up there climb it enjoy some of the best views of the area you can get, he feared losing a lot of tourism and downturn in business when it closes.

And a final point is one reason i continually see if the statistic that the numbers of people wanting to climb or choosing to climb have been declining, HOWEVER, this is doesnt take into account that the number of tourists have increased dramatically as the years have gone on, especially from tour operators etc, so a bus load of 60+yo tourists turn up for 1hr stop over or whatever, none climb it as time does not allow for it yet stats will show 0% climbed the rock, its just a false stat they using to blindside everyone.
Yes it is a reality check & a great point!!

I bet they will be back tracking when they realise no one is prepared to come to the rock & businesses will swiftly close.

Oh hey, you can look & take pictures from a far but don't touch :rolleyes:

greysrigging

Used to be able to drive to the summit of Koscuiszko back in the day..... not any more. Anyone complaining about that ? Yeah ? Nah ?
Ya'll dreamin' if you think the ban will be overturned re Uluru....the Traditional Owners are agin it apparently so it simply won't happen..... sure, tourist numbers will decline in the short term, but in 5 years time it will barely be thought of........

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Used to be able to drive to the summit of Koscuiszko back in the day..... not any more. Anyone complaining about that ? Yeah ? Nah ?
Ya'll dreamin' if you think the ban will be overturned re Uluru....the Traditional Owners are agin it apparently so it simply won't happen..... sure, tourist numbers will decline in the short term, but in 5 years time it will barely be thought of........
Well, for those that have not. I drove to the top of Mt Koscuiszko in my V dub in 1967 and all I can say is that it was my right, was the greatest thing I have ever done, it's now off my bucket list, so sad my kids and grand kids will never have the chance and I have suffered a deep depression ever since.
A pic of me posting a card to my family at the time. Yes, a mail box was at the top.:):):).
File0023.jpg

Cokedaddy216

Never thought about it in the last 5 years never mind the next , close shit down folk get pissed off .:confused:
First the name change now the ban :oops: still Ayres Rock as far as we are concerned :D

Triton14

Well, for those that have not. I drove to the top of Mt Koscuiszko in my V dub in 1967 and all I can say is that it was my right, was the greatest thing I have ever done, it's now off my bucket list, so sad my kids and grand kids will never have the chance and I have suffered a deep depression ever since.
A pic of me posting a card to my family at the time. Yes, a mail box was at the top.:):):).
View attachment 61556
You would have crushed some native endangered plant & run over some pigmy possums house entrance :oops:

Now we know who stopped the trips for future gens :eek:

Rhett HS

I dont mind that people used to drive to the top of koscuiszko. I was annoyed at the time when i saw that it used to be done but now it cant, but then i accepted that putting some effort in makes the view that much more appreciated.

Same as climbing ayers.

Oops, soon wont be allowed to climb ayers. Thats the same as making mt kossie a no go zone.

So, the comparison doesnt fly, more the opposite, just reiterates my point.

Last edited:

peterfermtech

View attachment 61556
Made it to Charlottes Pass in January 1977 to find out the Summit road was closed to vehicles.

silkwood

Moderators, can I suggest this post gets moved to 'Off Topic Discussion"? It started out as a reasonable notification of a perspective on the closing of the climb, now it has deteriorated to a slanging match with few reasoned arguments and equally sparse consideration (for the topic or others). It is starting to look like the "What cheeses me off" section, including the poorly thought out responses accompanying it. Some of the responses are bordering on offensive, but offense is certainly a judged view, hence the best place being off-topic.

Cheers,
Mark

greysrigging

Look..... its hard for us older generation to accept that ( quoting Bob Dylan ) 'times are a changing'
Used to be able to fish without a licence ( still can in the NT )
Used to be able to own a boat without registration or a licence ( still can in the NT )
Used to be able to purchase and let off fireworks ( still can in the NT )
Used to be able to get away with pissy driving ( not any more in the NT )
Used to be able to make a complete dill of yaself without Social Media scrutiny
Used to be able to make a complete arse of yourself re marriage and relationships without being sued for ya house and kids
Used to be able to earn a decent wage as a blue collar bloke c/w penalty rates for overtime and the missus could stay at home and look after the kids
Used to be able to climb Ayres Rock........

Tink

For all those insisting on continuing to call Uluru by the recent name of Ayers Rock, are you also whinging and whining about calling the continent Australia? It was called New Holland for a lot longer than it has been called Australia.
Uluru was only named Ayers Rock in 1873 by some English dude sucking up to his master. Yep, that’s right, it has only been called by that name for 112 years (it hasn’t been officially called Ayers Rock since 1985). Wheras Australia was called New Holland for more than twice as long.
Tink

Last edited:

Rhett HS

Sir Edmund Hillary climbed Everest, etc, got made a "Sir", but it seems some aboriginals would regard his effort on Everest as treating it like a "Playground", or "Theme Park". Yet the Sherpa's loved him.

People that push their personal boundaries by doing things like climbing Ayers are now seen as frivolous. Maybe our youth are better served playing computer games.

Sure, Ayers isnt Everest, but to most people it is somewhat of an equivalent, most people arent like Hillary.

Tink

Umm, you don’t push any boundaries climbing Uluru!!! Unless you are unfit or obese or have a medical condition, or all three (which a lot of New Hollanders are). I have climbed it twice. No great effort if you are in reasonable health with reasonable levels of fitness.
Comparing it to climbing Everest is absurd and totally stupid.
Tink

It started out as a reasonable notification of a perspective on the closing of the climb, now it has deteriorated to a slanging match with few reasoned arguments and equally sparse consideration (for the topic or others). It is starting to look like the "What cheeses me off" section, including the poorly thought out responses accompanying it. Some of the responses are bordering on offensive, but offense is certainly a judged view, hence the best place being off-topic.
Oh dear, the fun police have arrived.... again.
Not only cant you climb the rock, even talking about it has become an offence. Honestly, I don't even know what Australian means anymore.

Rhett HS

Lets all become flatlanders. Lets lower our horizons, together.

Before we send anything more to the moon, or mars, lets make double sure there isnt a prior inhabitant with low horizons that would prefer us not to overexcite them with our tech, in case they prefer to be comfortable, with same old.

And, how about the spin, people spout that only 16% of people climb nowadays, so a ban is no big deal. But the reality is that 70% used to climb, and probably would still climb, except they were discouraged by signs. And, if only 16% climb, then its not such a big deal, less impact. Why not let a few climb, its more an argument to not ban climbing.

Look..... its hard for us older generation to accept that ( quoting Bob Dylan ) 'times are a changing'
I don't mind change if it's good change, but I'm not sure any of the change you mention or most of what I've witnessed in my lifetime is good change. I've also seen a lot of change that just goes around and around in circles... and I worry about the future of my children.
Change shouldn't just be accepted for changes sake!
However, part of me also philosophies things haven't changed since convict settlement... because in truth I'm not sure things are a lot different for the common man of today as it was for the common man of then.

mikehzz

I don't mind change if it's good change, but I'm not sure any of the change you mention or most of what I've witnessed in my lifetime is good change. I've also seen a lot of change that just goes around and around in circles... and I worry about the future of my children.
Change shouldn't just be accepted for changes sake!
However, part of me also philosophies things haven't changed since convict settlement... because in truth I'm not sure things are a lot different for the common man of today as it was for the common man of then.
Well things are a little different. If you steal a loaf of bread you don't get deported in chains to another continent these days. Maybe the bread's a lot different now?

Status
Not open for further replies.