The Terrorists Vehicle of Choice.

CruisingSned

Yeah knew that with the 70 series didn't know about Hiluxs thou. I still see 70series with the 1hz coming into Oz but Left hand drive for the mines.
I only found out recently from one of the boys at work.
Was kinda shocked the 1HZ was still in production. It dates back till early 90's I think.

Rags90mod

I only found out recently from one of the boys at work.
Was kinda shocked the 1HZ was still in production. It dates back till early 90's I think.
They just last longer than everything else. Here at Olympic Dam they've got plenty of the V8 79's, 78's and a few 76's plus a couple of the electric versions on trial (BHP that is), a lot of the contractors still have 1HZ driven 79's still going strong

They trialled some Ford Rangers as underground vehicles too... Not even close to being up for the task - 4 gearboxes in a few months, floor pans rusting through just as quick...

Most of them whinge and whine about the humble Cruisers, but there just isn't any other mass production vehicle that's up for the punishment of underground mining. Most of the fitters I've asked about it reckon you'd need to custom make some kind of vehicle for the ultimate underground workhorse

typhoeus

Back in the 70s they used diesel landys. The bodies rotted away quickly in the nickel mines environment so they ended up being pretty well a chassis with lots of bar work

G_ute

I wonder if a heavy duty side-by-side/UTV would work down the mines, perhaps if only for personnel transport.
They are pretty basic and have good suspension.
Popular on farms (and raced e.g. Dakar)

Rags90mod

I wonder if a heavy duty side-by-side/UTV would work down the mines, perhaps if only for personnel transport.
They are pretty basic and have good suspension.
Popular on farms (and raced e.g. Dakar)
Probably end up in more rolled vehicles from people having too much fun at work

Batts88

They just last longer than everything else. Here at Olympic Dam they've got plenty of the V8 79's, 78's and a few 76's plus a couple of the electric versions on trial (BHP that is), a lot of the contractors still have 1HZ driven 79's still going strong

They trialled some Ford Rangers as underground vehicles too... Not even close to being up for the task - 4 gearboxes in a few months, floor pans rusting through just as quick...

Most of them whinge and whine about the humble Cruisers, but there just isn't any other mass production vehicle that's up for the punishment of underground mining. Most of the fitters I've asked about it reckon you'd need to custom make some kind of vehicle for the ultimate underground workhorse
When I worked at the Isa many yrs ago they took the body off cruiser utes fitted their own and replaced the donk with a Cummings diesel. I don't know if all the utes where done some might have been modified for a reason.

Last edited:

greysrigging

When I worked at the Isa many yrs ago they took the body off cruiser utes fitted their own and replaced the donk with a Cummings diesel. I don't know if all the utes where done some might have been modified for a reason.
They used to have the most hideous looking Tojo's underground at the now defunct Woodcutters Lead,Silver,Zinc Mine near Batchelor,NT.
Looked like they trolled through nearby cattle station graveyards for rooted buff catchers and repurposed them for underground duties