The Simpson

Blue Dog

Ok we are in the trip planing mode again and the Simpson has one the draw for 09 we will be doing it from west to east just working on the route so if anyone who has done the trek in the past could give me some plus and minuses for the different traks would be great.

BUSHNUT

Ok we are in the trip planing mode again and the Simpson has one the draw for 09 we will be doing it from west to east just working on the route so if anyone who has done the trek in the past could give me some plus and minuses for the different tracks would be great.

Hi Blue dog, did it last year, have a look at my tracks listing Birdsville to Mt. Dare

, feel free to email me direct, there are no minus's, the whole experience was great !

what sort of info do you want ?

This time of the year is the best time. From NSW , we went Broken Hill, Tibbooburra, Inaminkah, Birdsville via walkers crossing and the Sturt stony desert . The wet will determine whether you go this way or Cordillo downs, track information look at exploreOZ
trck information and always confirm with that states road authority .

If time is on your hands from Inaminkah do the Coonjie lakes before continuing on again

:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Blue Dog

Hey Bushnut

The trip will be in April as I like the weather temps better in the outback that time of year.

At this stage we are heading to mt dare then to dalhousie into the Simpson and just working out which route to take through the Simpson to Birdsville and after some first hand info on the tracks as to which is the better.
The return treck from Birdsville over to Tibbooburra then back to Sydney via Whitecliffs looking forward to getting out Tibbooburra way that is one of my favorite spots.

Cheers

BUSHNUT

Hey blue Dog check with the Road authorities , should not be any problem with that time of the year.

Mt Dare is you last fuel point but is a crap place to camp, Dalhousie springs 9 another 70 KM's away ) is just fantastic , nature has a warm bath waiting for you, enjoy it as it will be the last for a few days .

Stick to the French line which after you head north for a while at Poeples Corner, it becomes the QAA line at the end there of course is Big Red, it was closed off when we went - see my brief on road closures.

Allow an hour to stop at Purnie bore in the first day across, well worth it . Time wasn't on our hands to do more like rig road and K1, the warburton Track was closed anyway which is your alternative to getting onto the Birdsville track and you would miss out on having a go at Big Red .

Best advice is to have your party on the move by 8.00 am in the morning at the latest, heading west to east you have the gentler slopes of the dunes but also have the longest in the slopes, Once the sand heats up there is a tendency to dig in, it is better to travell when the sand is cool and more stable .

Had my tyre pressures down to 16 PSI too !

Have emailed you some other info in seven parts, have a bit more info at home if you want it

:):):):D:D

Last edited:

Blue Dog

Thanks for the info you sent.

Yeah we will be doing a fuel stock up at mt Dare and we are planning to spend a day and night at Dalhousie before we head in and are going to take time to cross, were thinking of doing most of the travelling in early parts of the day and want to do a bit of kite flying and KAP in the latter parts and big red in on the list.
Were thinking about adding the Rig road in ?? if it is worth it.

Cheers

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi blue dog. Don't miss this trip it's a terrific experience. We did west to east a few years ago.

We came up via Woomera Traverllers Village,

Then Coober Pedy (can stay underground)

Then bunkhouse accomadation in old shearers sheds at Copper Hills Homestead (different)

Then to Oodnadatta (fuelled up here, didn't go to Mt Dare)

Then to Dalhousie. Bushnut has already mentioned the benefits of the hot water springs at Dalhousie. We found it a good place to stay and rest prior to going into the desert. It is a popular camp and suggest not getting there too late to set up.

Then French Line to Poeppel Corner. No problems on this line

Then QAA line to Birdsville. No problems again

Then went via Cordillo Downs to Innaminka, Tibooburra, Broken Hill.

We went in Sept. No flies. Fantastic weather. Mid to high twenties every day, no rain.

You will need a Desert Parks Pass.

Good luck.
Knackers

grit

Way to go Blue Dog. This is the stuff real memories are made of.
You will never regret one minute of it!

GazzaW

Blue Dog,

We did a West to East SD trip in 2004. We went Sep/Oct school holidays (Vic) it was too late - too hot in hindsight. 40+ in the desert which meant we stayed in the car most of the day. Oh and the flies!!

We were towing a camper trailer and did the french line then QAA.

Conditions were pretty good as there had been recent rain so we had very little problems.

Big tip? Lower tyre pressures I was running 25psi and got stuck on a couple of dunes - dropped to 20psi and never had another issue.

We were down to an average of 15kph in the middle of the desert.

If you have a trailer you'll need a god properly set up vehicle - most people don't like trailers in the desert but the prejudice is unfounded if truck and trailer are properly set up for the trip.

Blue Dog

Thanks for the feed backs
GazzaW
We wont be hauling trailers on this trip, I spoke to the Mickey T dealer and they said to run between 18 to 22psi in my MTZ's which sounds like the range most are running.
Know what you mean about the flies they don't bother me so much as I am used to them living in the bush, but I do get sick of hearing the others winge about them but it is always funny when half way through the winge the coughing and gagging starts when they swallow one.:D

Grit
Yeah looking forward to this one tried to get out that way a few months ago and it rain the whole time and we had to pull out of the planed route.

Knackers
We did the Coober pedy and wommera earlier this year, they have both changed a bit in the last few years since we were there last.
Thinking of comming back the same way but will divert to Whitecliffs and back to sydney
we will be going through Broken hill on the start it will be a meeting point for some of the group.

Cheers

BUSHNUT

I think most of the replies have covered it, add about another 10% on consumption on the chart I sent you if your vehicle is heavily laden - best tip is to travel light but travel right .

With my truck which was still in the running in period for a diesel (20,000 ) when we did it, I did Birdsville to Mt.Dare on 95 litres, we averaged 22 Km's an Hour

The reason for no trailers in the desert is the the damage to the clay tops on the dunes scoured out by the draw bars , from a fuel consumption point of view, I reckon it would be BIG!

Most of our crew swagged it , had one with a roof top tent and another with an Oztent.

Made a point of each day stopping at 4.30 at the latest, get grub on the go, set up for the night .

The comment about Cooper Pedy , exactly! What a sh!thole , the only good view is it in your rearvision mirror !

redback

Hey Bushnut

The trip will be in April as I like the weather temps better in the outback that time of year.

At this stage we are heading to mt dare then to dalhousie into the Simpson and just working out which route to take through the Simpson to Birdsville and after some first hand info on the tracks as to which is the better.
The return treck from Birdsville over to Tibbooburra then back to Sydney via Whitecliffs looking forward to getting out Tibbooburra way that is one of my favorite spots.

Cheers

What about the Madigan line, i've heard this is a great trip.

This could give you some ideas.

This is from trip reports on AULRO Landy forum
Link to the report
Edjits Tour Madigan Line 2008 - Australian Land Rover Owners

Itinerary for the trip as follows:

Day 1 - Home to Dubbo - bush camp
Day 2 - Dubbo to Mays bend (Bourke) - bush camp
Day 3 - Bourke to Cunnanulla (meet with the "Numptys") and on to Lake Bindegolly - bush camp
Day 4 - Lake Bindegolly to Innamincka - bush camp & shower
Day 5 - Innamincka to Kooncherra dune (Walkers crossing track) - bush camp
Day 6 - Kooncherra to Warburton track - camped near rig road - bush camp
Day 7 - Rig Road onto WAA line to near Erabena junction - bush camp
Day 8 - WAA and rig road to Purnie Bore - bush camp & shower
Day 9 - Purnie Bore to 3 O'clock creek - bush camp
Day 10 - 3 O'clock creek to Goyder creek via blood creek, Abminga and Old Ghan line - bush camp
Day 11 - Goyder creek to Chambers Pillar - bush camp
Day 12 - Chambers Pillar to Alice Springs - link up with "Chenz" and wife
Day 13 - Alice Springs (Heavitree gap c'van park)
Day 14 - Alice Springs to Rainbow valley - bush camp
Day 15 - Rainbow Valley to Kulgera Shower meet with "ShortyNSW" and "Wash00" shower and bush camp east of Kulgera. "Wash00" departed
Day 16 - Kulgera to East Bore via Old Andado - bush camp and shower
Day 17 - Madigan line - bush camp
Day 18 - Magigan line - bush camp
Day 19 - Madigan line - bush camp
Day 20 - Geosurveys Hill - bush camp
Day 21 - Madigan line - bush camp
Day 22 - Madigan line - Madigan claypan - bush camp
Day 23 - Madigan line - bush camp
Day 24 - Madigan line - bush camp
Day 25 - Madigan line - Kuddareee waterhole - bush camp and shower
Day 26 - Madigan line - Kuddaree to Old Annandale - bush camp
Day 27 - Madigan line camp 25, Birdsville Pub - Bush camp & shower
Day 28 - Birdsville
Day 29 - Birdsville to Marrianna Creek via Cordillo Downs - bush camp
Day 30 - Marrianna Creek to Noccundra via Durham Downs - bush camp & shower
Day 31 - Noccundra to Currawinya - bush camp
Day 32 - Currawinya - bush camp
Day 33 - Currawinya to Fords Bridge - bush camp
Day 34 - Fords Bridge to Louth - camp & shower met up again with "Wash00"
Day 35 - Louth
Day 36 - Louth to Tilpa to Louth
Day 37 - Louth Races
Day 38 - Louth
Day 39 - Louth to Dubbo - Motel
Day 40 - Dubbo to Home

Blue Dog

Hi Redback

Have been advised against doing the Madigan due to how hard it is and the amount of fuel we would need to carry and the hassals to get permits to do all the camps.
With more time to do it, it could be a future trip

Cheers

BUSHNUT

The madigan line is a whole different ball game ! We were planning to do it this year but for all of us able to get the time of 3 weeks minimum away from our respective business's and employment, it was out of the question.

To do the exact Madigan line,you have to have a permit that is hardly ever granted by the Elders of the aboriginal tribe of the area . This means that 6 camps are not given access to, so anyone who states they have done the Madigan line nowadays, in fact hasn't, but a shortened version of it .

Logistically fuel is the problem too, from accounts it is very heavy going, a lot of winching , and you are very lucky if you average 10 kilometers an hour. Even on a new rig ,it is said be prepared for vehicle damage or breakdown, it is more than likely to happen .

It is a trip that is on my Bucket List, I think it would be the last stretch of the real outback .

In our group, we may even get to go into the restricted areas as one of our group has had a lot to do and has lived in these aboriginal communities, Bees Knees seems to open quite a few doors in the past .

A book that is worth reading is Cecil Madigans account of the crossing of the Simpson, it was a well organised, planned expedition first the route was plotted from the air, they even had radio and they still struck problems . The Expedition was funded by the Royal Australian Geographical Society,Adelaide ,whose chairman was A M Simpson hence the renaming of the Arrunta desert to being the Simpson Desert, the radio operator for the expedition was a nephew of his also . A bit of useless information I guess but suffice to say, A.M. Simpson was my grand Uncle. Cecil Madigan was educated at Adelaide High School, then Prince Alfred College. He won a scholarship to the University of Adelaide and was selected as a Rhodes Scholar to study geology at Oxford. He took leave from his studies at Sir Douglas Mawson’s invitation to join the Australian Antarctic Expedition 1911 to Cape Denison. He was awarded the Kings Polar Medal in 1914. He served as a Captain of the Royal Engineers in WW1 in France, and after some time in Africa, returned to Adelaide to work under Mawson at the University of Adelaide. Madigan was fascinated with the Simpson Desert, and flew several reconnaissance flights over the area in 1929.It was this year that Madigan named the desert after Allen Simpson, the then President of the Royal Geographical Society in Adelaide, and a major financial backer of his work. It had previously been referred to as the Arunta Desert, or the far more evocative “Great Ribbed Desert”. In 1939, Madigan mounted a very heavily equipped scientific expedition and crossed the Simpson Desert north of Colson’s route. Madigan’s crossing achieved such publicity that it completely overshadowed Colson’s. Madigan’s scientific contribution was considerable.

I rather like the fact that with all the planning Cecil Madigan wasnt the first to cross this desert, Colson was .

Ted Colson was the first European to cross the Simpson Desert. An accomplished bushman and explorer, he had travelled from his native South Australia to the W.A. goldfields and worked on the construction of the Maroondah dam in Victoria. He had constructed roads in Central Australia, and in 1931 after a stint working on the Ghan railway construction; he took over the abandoned station of Bloods Creek near Abminga. In short, Colson had seen good rains falling to the east; so, together with an Aboriginal companion, Peter Ains and five camels he departed Bloods Creek on 26th. May 1936 traversed the 26th.parallel to Poeppels Corner and on to Birdsville. Legend says he had a beer at the bar of the Birdsville Pub then turned around and re traced his tracks home. Whether he only had one beer seems unlikely, as he spent four days in Birdsville before commencing his return, which took a more southerly route. Nonetheless, his feat was truly remarkable, travelling over 900 kms through mostly unexplored hostile country in just 36 days. His accomplishment remained largely unheralded, which seems to fit well with this man, a master of understatement.

I love the underdog, the proposed Madigan expedition and its planning was well publicised, Colson did the Degroot thing and rained on their parade- just love it , the laconic nature of the out back !

So do the French Line and all the other tracks well travelled, the Madigan line would be the Ultimate for man and machine .

Last edited:

BUSHNUT

Thanks for the info you sent.

Yeah we will be doing a fuel stock up at mt Dare and we are planning to spend a day and night at Dalhousie before we head in and are going to take time to cross, were thinking of doing most of the travelling in early parts of the day and want to do a bit of kite flying and KAP in the latter parts and big red in on the list.
Were thinking about adding the Rig road in ?? if it is worth it.

Cheers

Hey Blue dog there is a good article in the latest edition of 4WD action, it gives a brief report on the tracks to the south of the French line !

Last edited:

Blue Dog

Thanks Bushnut just got my copy and have not sat down to read through it yet will get to it.

We have just about sorted out the route we want to do, it will be a combination run of the French / WAA and Rigg, we are now sorting camps and time frames.

Paul100

Thanks Bushnut just got my copy and have not sat down to read through it yet will get to it.

We have just about sorted out the route we want to do, it will be a combination run of the French / WAA and Rigg, we are now sorting camps and time frames.

Hi Blue Dog
I've not long came back from my 3rd time out in the Simpson.
I like to swap the tracks around like you've got written there.
French, WAA, Rig - up to the French & QAA

Cheers Paul

Blue one

Mate,
Came down the Binns track from Alice via Old Andado to Mt Dare. Spent 2 hours in the spring at Dalhousie and then bailed out back to 3 o'clock creek due to the crowd that arrived in the afternoon. Purni Bore, WAA, Lone Gum, Knolls track, French line, Poepel's corner, QAA to Birdsville. 4 days and 95 ltrs in a 05 4.2 Patrol.

If you plan to come out at Tib use the Bore track to Cameron's Corner.

Great trip.

Cheers

Lost 2

Hello all,
Sorry to but in.We have a group that will be traveling East/West June/July 09.As i have not traveled the Simpson i look forward to the experience.
From what i can gather we can expect steeper approaches to the dunes but overall similar conditions if traveling West/East.
We shall be starting from Melbourne/Vic.
Hope i am not confusing issues but any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.We are in the planning stages at the moment.
All the best
Lost 2 :)

BUSHNUT

Hello all,
Sorry to but in.We have a group that will be traveling East/West June/July 09.As i have not traveled the Simpson i look forward to the experience.
From what i can gather we can expect steeper approaches to the dunes but overall similar conditions if traveling West/East.
We shall be starting from Melbourne/Vic.
Hope i am not confusing issues but any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated.We are in the planning stages at the moment.
All the best
Lost 2 :)

G,day Lost,

Depends upon the weather , rain to be precise, have a read of my notes in tracks, the main reason is not the crossing itself but getting to the start , Birdsville , from Inaminkah there are two routes, Cordillo Downs and Walkers crossing , at the time we went Walkers had only been open a week , Cordillo Downs , about a month, I think June may be a little early , late July , early August would be safer .

Check the ozeplorer road status nearer the time, travelling east to west is not a problem for any vehicle that has low range, just be on the track by 8.00 am whilst the sand is cool especially the first day . in loading remember that you should carry enough fuel so as if you have to turn back because of sudden flooding at the eastern endand that can happen.

Make sure that every vehicle in your party is fully serviced and checked out before leaving, ask the owners to mention that the vehicle is crossing the Simpson . Do that and you should have a trouble free trip.

Read my notes on yhe loading of a vehicle - I think I called it "where to shove it " , take plenty of cargo straps or tie downs because anything loose will become a missile .

If you have any specific details let me know , the main thing is to travell light but travell right .

it is a great experience

Blue Dog

Hey Lost2

I will post a report on the conditons in April when we get back we are doing a west to east crossing.
How many in your group and what vehicles ?

Cheers