The Real Cost (my bill) Using GSM Sim In Iridium Satellite Phone

muffin man

I thought I would post this for future reference to aid anybody who is researching satellite phones.
The question of call costs and whether a Telstra NG/GSM sim does actually work in a Motorola Iridium Satellite Phone regularly comes up here and other forums. ( there are doubters out there )
While the calls are a bit dearer than those on plans it's still very cheap and for someone like me ( and majority of travelers ) who only uses it for a few of weeks a year it's perfect.
And of course in an emergency 000 is free.
MM sat.jpg

Last edited:

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'd happily live with those costs if the excreta collided with the rotating device

Great info to know

mac_man_luke

Not bad if used for emergencies

Only problem is if you leave it on and someone calls you its $$$ but most id imagine would leave there sat phone off.

Used to be handy you could sign up to a $10 causal sim and just use that for your sat phone.

rob_macca67

I thought I would post this for future reference to aid anybody who is researching satellite phones.
The question of call costs and whether a Telstra NG/GSM sim does actually work in a Motorola Iridium Satellite Phone regularly comes up here and other forums. ( there are doubters out there )
While the calls are a bit dearer than those on plans it's still very cheap and for someone like me ( and majority of travelers ) who only uses it for a few of weeks a year it's perfect.
And of course in an emergency 000 is free.
MM View attachment 31944

Is that with a POST or PRE-PAID Sim Card ??

muffin man

Not bad if used for emergencies

Only problem is if you leave it on and someone calls you its $$$ but most id imagine would leave there sat phone off.

Used to be handy you could sign up to a $10 causal sim and just use that for your sat phone.
Someone on exploroz recently claimed to have just got the $10 casual plan, so dunno maybe it's available.....it's what I use.

mac_man_luke

Someone on exploroz recently claimed to have just got the $10 casual plan, so dunno maybe it's available.....it's what I use.
I tried about 12months ago and they said it was just retired and the cheapest plan was $30 so i went with a proper sat plan which had free incoming calls.

Would be nice if it is avaliable as even if i had to pay for some calls it would still work out cheaper than $35/month i pay now.