The new Mazderati BT50

cam04

Drum roll.........

The new Ute, so far very impressed. There is a long way to go to get it fitted out properly, especially the canopy - looking to more touring without the camper trailer so it needs to be practical.

Bull bar needs to be chosen yet also.
272F443C-D5D0-49D0-B805-F01A6253F57A.jpeg
8E23A51E-319E-448D-A29C-3364DF721667.jpeg

Last edited:

CTL

Congrats. You will love it. Handy hint. Adjust the AEB to near, otherwise happy with the electric assist stuff. Pretty frugal on the juice too, although that canopy will cost you some economy. Enjoy

cam04

Congrats. You will love it. Handy hint. Adjust the AEB to near, otherwise happy with the electric assist stuff. Pretty frugal on the juice too, although that canopy will cost you some economy. Enjoy
Yes, AEB adjusted accordingly - Thankyou. Agree with all the other safety tech. Nowhere near as intrusive as some are saying on the FB pages. Probably kids. I’ve only done half a tank of fuel so far. Fuel usage continues to fall as the engine beds in. Already at 10’s around town. Yes, canopy is going to be hefty and a bit of a breeze catcher. I can take it off if need be.
Unfortunately it was ‘born’ with an intermittent airbag warning light and whoever changed over the filler for the dropside put it so close to the cab that it is knocking and taking paint off already. Nothing that a day in the shop shouldn’t rectify.
The extra wide torque spread is a breath of fresh air. It just never needs revs. I thought the 3.2 ranger was lazy but this is something else.

Reactions: CTL

cam04

That`s impressive.
I like the look of the new mazda more than the dmax.

Congrats.
Me too. We only buy base model utes and apart from the fringe dwelling brands I am pretty confident you won’t find one with a better spec level than an XT Mazda. I liked driving the new hilux (never thought I’d say that), but the back seat is a long way behind the current field if you want to put humans back there so it was struck off the list early. A Ford needs to be an XLT with an optional tech pack to compete in fit out level and that makes it $10k plus more expensive.

discomatt

Congrates on the new 4by, hope it serves you well although not a good start with intermittent air bag lights, hopefully something the dealer can rectify easily. Full alloy canopy? how does that effect load capacity and is there a GVM upgrade?
If your not towing and taking the whole family it will be chockers

cam04

Congrates on the new 4by, hope it serves you well although not a good start with intermittent air bag lights, hopefully something the dealer can rectify easily. Full alloy canopy? how does that effect load capacity and is there a GVM upgrade?
If your not towing and taking the whole family it will be chockers
If the whole family comes, the trailer will be there. No need for a gvm upgrade, I’ve never been that close. Payload will be 850 kg plus conservatively as it sits. Ally isn’t too bad for weight, the crap I can fit in it is haha. I’ve never had that much space. The youngest teenager is keen for cape/gulf/desert runs. The wife and older son not so much anymore, so setting up a kitchen/storage on one side, and camping gear on the other with an awning or two up top. Nothing groundbreaking.
The airbag light is apparently not an isolated case so we will see.
I’ve done central Oz/Simpson with the 4 of us in a smaller twin cab with only a fibreglass canopy. It is amazing how little we need when we put our minds to it.

discomatt

The airbag light is apparently not an isolated case so we will see.
That is good, common problems have common easy fixes, its the one off issues that are a concern
To still have 850kg available is very good.
Any suspension mods or leaving it standard for now?

cam04

That is good, common problems have common easy fixes, its the one off issues that are a concern
To still have 850kg available is very good.
Any suspension mods or leaving it standard for now?
I haven’t loaded it up. I have never had a car that I haven’t done suspension work to, but.... the base model Mazda and Isuzu come with HD rear springs and they are carrying it no problem at present so here’s hoping. I’ll know as soon as I hook the trailer up if it needs help.
It is also pretty low. I have the old mags off the ranger with 32’s on so I’m going to see how they look. I might keep factory rubber for around town and put some decent tyres on the other wheels for touring. If I lift it it will be very minor. Isuzu front ends like their geometry ‘factory’ from everything I’ve read. Shocks etc actually feel good so no hurry there. The ranger’s factory suspension lasted a week before it was binned.

Toyasaurus

The side boards look pretty low.

I`ve had 2 sets of wheels and tyres for the last 2 trucks, one off road, one on road.
I find it`s much simpler too change the wheels out than trying to find one tyre that does everything.
I`m going through the GVM upgrade path myself, I weighed my LC and found it was only 220kg`s under the limit.
That was with only the street wheels and no fuel in the front tank.
Reckon I`ll be only about 50kg`s off with a full fuel load and the 6 off road wheels on.

Keep us up to date, looking good so far.

cam04

The side boards look pretty low.

I`ve had 2 sets of wheels and tyres for the last 2 trucks, one off road, one on road.
I find it`s much simpler too change the wheels out than trying to find one tyre that does everything.
I`m going through the GVM upgrade path myself, I weighed my LC and found it was only 220kg`s under the limit.
That was with only the street wheels and no fuel in the front tank.
Reckon I`ll be only about 50kg`s off with a full fuel load and the 6 off road wheels on.

Keep us up to date, looking good so far.
Yes I’ve run multiple sets of tyres before also. Having half decent road tyres is always nice for day to day and I don’t feel guilty having a slightly more aggressive set for times that warrant it. I might even go to 33’s for off-road again. Yes it is looking low with the sidesteps for anything half decent off-road.