The New Land Rover Defender 110 rescues a Scania Truck in the Namib Desert

dirvine

Sure, I didn't realise that the D4 had a service interval of 26,000 kms without issues. That is definitely a real benefit.

But I don't get why you didn't take up the fixed price service in the Toyota and then you compare those costs with non dealer costs for Landrover.

For most people, comparing the 2 service costs during the warranty would surely be
Toyota - $250 every 10,000 km or every 6 months.
Landrover ( $XXX Genuine service cost) every 26,000 km or 12 months

So what are the Dealer service costs for a Disco 4 during warranty? It could be free for all I know.
Fixed price service cost for Toyota were not offered to me, from what i remember. Also its not fixed as they add parts and consumables (well my Mazda dealer does ). My costs mentioned here are all costs parts and labour. As I said I ring ULR everytime I need a service to see how much it costs and the price is about 50% more than the indi. Also the Indi knows how I use my car and makes suggestions on future services of what I should consider. Ie told me today I need to get the Gear box serviced (oil change) as he knows i am about to do a 20K trip around Aus in June.

dno67

As far as preventative maintenance it as mentioned brings it more into line with other manufacturers, 12,000 oil and filter, 30k fuel filter, 70k trans, 80k diff and transfer case, when the timing belt gets done I will do all cooling hoses and some plastic fittings that are known to fail, 120 k air springs and shockers, yes the standard ones that were in the car as provided by LR from new not aftermarket, 140k alternator and intercooler hoses
All preventative maintenance that will keep the car reliable.
So no nothing like a government election spiel but yes if you follow LR specified servicing the car will be un reliable after about 160,000km.
I am happy to do the extra servicing because it drives better on road is just as good off road better economy and more comfortable than anything else on the market thats in the same class. IMO
AS far as oil dilution that is first of the new generation and only an issue if it only does short around town trips, which is no good for any modern diesel
Haha mate, its exactly like an election spiel, LR says one thing, and in reaility you have to do another or something else. Iol
Not a shot at you, just LRs service recomendation verses the reality.

smitty_r51

It is unfortunate they are launching it when nobody is going to be buying anything on that scale of $$$ because as a car it looks superb and seems to tick most of the boxes

shanegtr

I'd personally love to get my hands on a 6 seater - shame at this stage its well out of my price range

Albynsw

Yes agree it is nice but maybe a bit pricey for most who would want to use it as a bushy? I personally don’t think they retained enough of the old Defer styling like the mini, VW beetle or new Jimny does but it is cool

discomatt

So far so good but the question still remains, will it have any major LR issues?
I know many say they are still unreliable due to the BS car satisfaction type reviews because they class 1 issue how ever minor as a issue, they don't take into account the size or reliability issue. I know my D4 is reliable as any other car on the road so hopefully the new Defer will be the same, only time will tell.
As far as price and not being able to afford one, just wait untill they hit the second hand market because at the end of the day its still a LR and prices will plummet once they are a few years old

boobook

I went to the supermarket first thing this morning to get some toilet rolls and wow, 8 brand new Defenders were parked in the car park. There was a bit of a queue so I thought I will get the toilet paper and come back for a photo, but they had gone by then.

Anyway, here is proof they were there.

Yes Matt, sorry but being stuck at home with this Corona thing, I'm bored.....

Spooner

It doesn't really matter now how good it is or not.
If people are stupid enough to buy one on finance in uncertain times , that's if they will lend them the money.
I think it dead before it was really born.
And thats a shame as whilst me personally wouldn't buy one , a lot of people would have.
We will see what happens .

boobook

I still think it will sell like hotcakes Spooner. Thought it will be interesting to see. For sure used cars on drip feed will be handed back in the thousands.

discomatt

It doesn't really matter now how good it is or not.
If people are stupid enough to buy one on finance in uncertain times , that's if they will lend them the money.
I think it dead before it was really born.
And thats a shame as whilst me personally wouldn't buy one , a lot of people would have.
We will see what happens .
So are you saying all new car sales will virtually stop after this virus crap or just LR sales?
People will still need transport going forward so assuming the whole world economy doesn't totally collapse it will be no different in 12 months time

shanegtr

So are you saying all new car sales will virtually stop after this virus crap or just LR sales?
People will still need transport going forward so assuming the whole world economy doesn't totally collapse it will be no different in 12 months time
All new car sales across all brands in general have been declining for 2yrs now - I can see that taking a further nose dive during and after covid19