Change background image

The most remote tracks in Australia?

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by barcher, Nov 11, 2018.

1. barcher

barcher Well-Known Member

Watching Ronny Dahl last night, the Anne Beadell episodes. He claimed the Anne Beadell is the second most remote track in Oz, which I suppose makes the Canning Stock Route number one. Then I see ads for outback spirit taking their tour buses on the CSR.
    So what would be some of the most remote tracks, is CSR still number one?

Rags90mod, Rhett HS and 80lover96gxl like this.
  2. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Personally I think the ones less driven in the midst of all the popular tracks.
    You know them when you're on them !!

When we went through David Carnegie / Gunbarrel / Gary Hwys, tracks like Hunt Oil Rd were so thick with spinifex it would feel very isolated spending several days on that drive.

Rhett HS, phs and 80lover96gxl like this.
  3. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

The Canning is claimed to be the longest remote track in the world.
    Having driven it, I reckon it would be Australia’s remotest track. About 850kms between settlements, no stations or houses either, on a track along a stock route, it is not a gazetted road.
    Tink

Rags90mod and 80lover96gxl like this.
  4. barnsey062

barnsey062 Well-Known Member

5. time

time Member

Done all those Hema tracks, and for me the CSR is the most remote, based on how far it is to assistance if the shape becomes pear!

80lover96gxl, Tink and barnsey062 like this.
  6. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

I agree. What would Hema kniw, pfftttt
    Tink

barnsey062 likes this.
  7. mauriceb

mauriceb Well-Known Member

The Canning may be classed as the most remote however due to the numbers on it during the travel season it certainly doesn't feel like it .The track and Campsites are well worn .I have travelled it 3 times plus 4 trips out the Calvert Ranges area on what you could call exploration trip . To me you could class a non recognise trip in the Northern Simpson like Geosurveys Hill a lot more remote . I say this as if something went wrong you would be in big trouble. On the Canning assistance would be a lot easier with all the passing traffic.

ipch, hiluxdriver and 80lover96gxl like this.
  8. Les PK Ranger

Agree there, that should be in their list instead of Madigan Line . . . that may have been what I'd call remote 5+ years ago, but now it's been discovered, Madigan is like travelling French Line in the busy Winter months there are so many out there.

I still think the CSR would be awesome to do in full, just the logistics of fuel and supplies make it remote in its own right.
    On the way to the Kimberley one year will take that route.

mauriceb likes this.
  9. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

You have to define remote. That could be either distance between settlements, frequency of passing traffic, or a combination of both. Personally, I prefer the lack of traffic and absence of access to others as a better descriptor. I did the ABH solo person, solo vehicle, the year before Ronny went across. To me that was remote because in 1300Km's I saw one other vehicle (two actually, travelling together). Ronny started the ABH a bit prematurely in March, after a nasty, wet cyclone season dumped its guts out there in Jan and Feb. I'm not surprised all he saw was some camel hunters.

Whilst the longest stretch of the ABH is only 750K's between Ilrurlka and Coober Pedy, I define it more remote than the 1000 odd km stretch of the Canning from Kunawaritji and Wiluna, due to the volume of traffic and station country in the south. The further from people and potential help at hand defines remote for me. That said, volume of traffic depends on when you embark. To me, not seeing others for days on end is my aim when I plan to go remote. it's not that I don't like people, I just like being remote better.

Case in point - this year:
    - Mowing the Spackman, about 600Km's, not a person seen nor a station within cooee for 4 days
    - It's got knobs on it, only 160Km's and 4 days without people, but a solo hike of 40Km's through virgin desert was as remote as it comes
    - Nippley on the Nippon, about 1000Km's over 5 days, the only people seen on day 3 also camel hunters

As to what is some of the most remote tracks, just have a look at where I go. I can go a week easy without seeing another if I plan accordingly. The definition is open to your own personal interpretation.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  10. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

After driving the Talawana and Gary Hwy in August and not seeing another vehicle for 3 days I bumped into a bloke who was travelling the Canning. He got a puncture and it took him 20 minutes to plug it. In that 20 minutes he had 5 vehicles bank up behind him and 3 coming the other way. CSR might be along way between towns but having that many people around means it can't be classed as remote IMO.

mikehzz and Rags90mod like this.
  11. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Yep I agree,they can't even map The High Country properly...

RBJET likes this.
  12. mauriceb

Quote After driving the Talawana and Gary Hwy in August and not seeing another vehicle for 3 days I bumped into a bloke who was travelling the Canning. He got a puncture and it took him 20 minutes to plug it. In that 20 minutes he had 5 vehicles bank up behind him and 3 coming the other way. CSR might be along way between towns but having that many people around means it can't be classed as remote
    The Gary Highway in June with LesPK, BigTrev and Bob . This poor fellow lost his Ranger and Ultimate camper at the same time . 15312157684649.jpg 15312158895769.jpg 15312158896731.jpg

13. Les PK Ranger

How many people did we see out there @mauricb ?
    From Esperance to Well 33, we could likely count them on 2 hands, and that was the busy season June / July.

14. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

I am with the low people numbers bias. If your vehicle breaks down and you are then on foot, and you have to walk for days to reach any chance of meeting another passing vehicle at best. Thats pretty remote.

boobook likes this.
  15. Les PK Ranger

Oooh, I know you know better than to walk off and leave a vehicle, and just using that as a bit of an analogy . . . even I wouldn't do that and I have walked up to 160km or so carrying everything needed across remote (desert like) expanses.
    This is where that modern technology comes in handy, sat phone, PLB, HF etc, but of course having that extra 60lt, 70lt of water and some rations is still essential.

Albynsw and barnsey062 like this.
  16. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Yeah, but imagine you only have uhf because you didnt plan to go remote enough to justify hiring a satphone. You have been out of phone service for a few days, so no-one knows where you are within a five hundred kilometre radius. You were planning to go a certain way, but conditions or excitement or a bad map saw you head off on a lonesome track.

Lets say you are comfortable outdoors, fit, healthy, comfortable walking in low light conditions, so you can travel out of the heat of the day.

You have enough food and water to walk to a road that should have a car in a day or two. Not enough food and water to last more than 10 days.

Its not a full blown desert, not all sand.

What do you do?

I need to learn more about those satphone things that attach to a smartphone.

17. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

The issue I see with “those satphone things thatt attach to a smartphone” is that you have TWO pieces of technology which need to communicate with each and both need to be in working order. My experience with some forms of technology make me question the wisdom in this.
    Tink

Albynsw, Ditch and boobook like this.
  18. Les PK Ranger

Personally, I'm ok with good planning / preps and (2) PLB units.
    On really remote trips, others have had sat phone, often 2 in the group, but apart from personal contact for those owners, on our trips so far they haven't needed to be used.

Yes if you have the skills and presence of mind to walk at night, shelter during daylight, in some cases walking might be the best option.
    Pretty rare through if the right things are done pre trip.

Having a trip plan with someone at home, regular contact when passing through towns / mobile range, and also logging trip plan with AMSA with PLB registration, you are pretty well covered in case it's ever needed.

The thing about some tech, if you aren't near a vehicle, that vehicle battery / batteries having charge, etc, that method of contact can be prone to failure.

19. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you can still make emergency calls with just the sleeve but they are not great for south / east Australia due to the network they run on

Tink likes this.
  20. mauriceb

@mac_man_luke . Has sos, allows you to make an emergency voice call to one predefined number with the press of a button. The SatSleeve+ and SatSleeve Hotspot have a built-in microphone and speaker so you can also make the S.O.S. call as a stand-alone satellite phone -- even if your smart phone is not available.
    "The Sleeve " and the Satsleeve Hotspot both are a Thuraya Products . They use the same sim and network as the more rugged Thuraya Xt Lite which is a stand alone satphone. There has been bad publicity about there reception however i can confirm that all area's i have travelled i have had full reception.(see image) On a recent 13500km trip to WA trip from QLD had it on all days with full bars with a external antenna that only moves it to clear view of the sky. Obviously a deep valley in VHC would be limited as for Isatphone, unless you walk up hill to view of the satellite line. To me using a Sleeve or hot spot would allow you to use your existing phone to type sms quickly as most Satphone key typing is like using the old Nokia's ,painfull. As Tink say's more things to go wrong. 2018 actual track image.jpg

mikehzz, Rags90mod and Rhett HS like this.