The Mighty Trak Shak

Buxter

A tribute to our Trak Shak, the mighty "Taj Mahal", as many a fellow traveller, has called it.

It's hard to admit that the "magic" Trak Shak, is a bit outdated, these days, it's still good, just a "little outdated".
Not worn out, but lacking the "easy put up styles" that ppl now expect, and get from modern Camper Trailers.

Also recently these weary "old bones" sometimes struggle to get the CT erected in under 20 minutes, on a good day., as compared to the past, it was just 10 minutes and sitting down having a beer. Packing up was even down to 7 minutes at best.
MMMMMMMmmmmmmm 65 years young is starting to get old I guess !.

In saying that I would like to qualify that the mighty Trak Shak, has done the Kimberly twice, Cape York twice, the Simpson, the Canning, Anne Beadell, Connie Sue, The Gary, the Sandy Blight Road, and countless hunting trips up into the Victorian High Country. and a number of times she has ventured along the Oodnadatta Track.
Some easy runs, and some shocking runs, it all depends where, and if the Graders have been thru.
And heaps more trips, to "god only knows where", and never ever let us down.
The tent section is amazing, and still in very good condition, considering some savage storms, and weather conditions, that have hit us, in our travels, its refusal to rip, or even leak, simple leaves me speechless.

Eventually it will be handed down to my Son in Law, Daughter, and their 4 kids, but you never know, we might just keep it a little longer, as there are still some deserts, and places we have yet to see.
Cheers
Buxter

Aaron Schubert

I've been looking at these quite closely now for quite some time; impressed with the design, simplicity etc. Just waiting for a good one to pop up.

That said, I looked at a couple of models - the 2000 model can only carry 400kg, the 06 only 560kg and the newer ones almost a tonne.

I was disappointed, as the 2000 one I was happy with, and it was priced right. Not much point having the capacity to carry 9 jerry cans, an outboard motor and a boat if you can't take anything else with you.

What year is yours?

Aaron

Buxter

Aaron
Ours is a 2001 model.
10 Jerry Cans and 1x9kg gas bottle
Not too sure just how much it weight all up, but in 2009 when we die the Canning and the Kimberly, we were loaded up "to the hilt", and had 3 months supply.
Storage space is phenomenal, so we basically had nothing else to buy on the trip, except our rations of bottles of Bourbon, and the odd slab of Coke.

Last edited:

Aaron Schubert

Aaron
Ours is a 2001 model.
10 Jerry Cans and 1x9kg gas bottle
Not too sure just how much it weight all up, but in 2009 when we die the Canning and the Kimberly, we were loaded up "to the hilt", and had 3 months supply.
Storage space is phenomenal, so we basically had nothing else to buy on the trip, except our rations of bottles of Bourbon, and the odd slab of Coke.

They are an awesome camper. I just wish you could legally carry a bit more weight!

Aaron

Last edited:

Buxter

P8140987.JPG
P8100721.JPG
DSCF2844.JPG
oz trip 143.jpg
DSCF2711.JPG
DSCF2714.JPG
DSCF2719.JPG
Any photos?

Not sure why some of the foto's doubled up
Problem caused between the chair and the keyboard

Last edited by a moderator:

Buxter

Is that the South Aussie made one ?
Your sand flag is the incorrect colour :):eek:
Absolutely, definately S.A. Made
And we chatter to Peter, the owner, at Caufield Caravan and Camping Liesurefest, a couple of times.
Since then the Company has been sold a couple of times, and they were brought in from China, with some Quality Issues.
I believe all issues have been sorted, but those on board Solar Panels, are just crap

The Sand Flag was designed to attract attention, in the Dunes, and it certainly did, both at St Vinnies, and out on the Canning.

Last edited:

cam04

A few shots of our old '96 model. It wore out a few 4wd's and did a few laps. It was pensioned off last year after 20 years of hard graft.
We added the cabinet on the front right - it contained a battery, water pump (added a water tank underneath), electric brake controller (added electric brakes), and switchboard for the onboard power.
Outboard holder was made to fit in the jockey wheel mount and carried the 15 hp Honda all over the place. If I could have worked out a way of sliding the kitchen out the side and keeping it undercover I'd probably still have it.

IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG

Last edited:

80lover96gxl

It was one of these campers that convinced my wife and i to get a campertrailer some 15 yrs ago.

We had been tent camping for about 8 yrs and decided to hire one of these campers to see how we'ed go with a camper before making the decision to purchase one, we loved it .
While we didn't have the money to afford a trak shak we were convinced we needed a camper so shelled out 8k for a soft floor Chinese camper, 15 yrs later, and after many trips the trailer is still going strong and used as a trailer, i sold the tent section late last year as our camping needs have changed as our kids have grown up and we dont need a big soft floor any longer.

Been eyeing of, with much interest the new forward fold campers as i do like the idea of easy setup / pack up and having the table and chair section inside the main tent section itself. Maybe later this year we will look into purchasing one of these if i can get my wifes snoring under control and we can sleep together again:p;).

cam04

It was one of these campers that convinced my wife and i to get a campertrailer some 15 yrs ago.

We had been tent camping for about 8 yrs and decided to hire one of these campers to see how we'ed go with a camper before making the decision to purchase one, we loved it .
While we didn't have the money to afford a trak shak we were convinced we needed a camper so shelled out 8k for a soft floor Chinese camper, 15 yrs later, and after many trips the trailer is still going strong and used as a trailer, i sold the tent section late last year as our camping needs have changed as our kids have grown up and we dont need a big soft floor any longer.

Been eyeing of, with much interest the new forward fold campers as i do like the idea of easy setup / pack up and having the table and chair section inside the main tent section itself. Maybe later this year we will look into purchasing one of these if i can get my wifes snoring under control and we can sleep together again:p;).

We got the MDC Cape York rear fold. A little bigger footprint and more storage than a forward folder. I still have 2 ferrets who camp with us otherwise I think a forward fold might have been on the cards for us too. We've modified a few things and given it a fair hiding and are very happy with our decision so far. Out through Cameron Corner, down the Strez into the Flinders and then the Darling run back to QLD this coming winter should be the final part of the bedding in process.

PeteyG

Wife and I brought a Trak Shak (2001) without the boat loader from a work colleague a couple years back. Awesome camper with plenty of sleeping room, handy with three young children.
Just need to refine the gear we take and how we pack it!! Otherwise thumbs up!!

cam04

Negative mate. It is the sum of its various parts. I have no doubt you could make it happen with some re-engineering though.

Pizey

I am looking at purchasing a mighty 1999 Trak Shak around 5-6k. Adelaide made. What are everyone's experiences with them recently as they age?
Was tossing up between this option or saving up a bit more and getting a forward fold new before summer.

Buxter

Pizey
A very basic but incredibly tough camper trailer.

In Stormy weather we have a habit of putting Full Jerry Cans of water inside at the corner and one on the floor betwen the beds. ,
( this method hold the Camper down, and trust me, we have been in some incredible storms.)
Can set the Camper up on with our "big pegs, or without pegs on good ground, or at all by utilizing 5 jerry Cans (again) of water on crap ground, concrete, and or rock platforms one in each corner
We have had our Trak Shak for almost 16 years, and yes it's Adelaide made in 2001.
We a have dragged/towed it over many of Australian worst desert tracks, the Kinberley, and Cape York, and the Canning
Replaced the independent (Sugar Glider Suspension) swing arm bushes in 2008 with Vescotite inserts, because the Track Shack was skipping caused by flogged out Nylon Bushes. Been great ever since.
Have worn small areas in the floor gusset for the rearward facing Angled Poles, and sorted that issue by reinforcing the outside by "glueing" similar material over the worn out bit with Black Sikaflex, and after it cured, went over the patch area with more sikaflex, allowing 3 days to cure in-between.
The Zips can give a bit of trouble, but nothing a couple of new "closers" didn't fix.

Midgy screens can wear out, but we have taken our time when packing up, and they are all in pretty good condition, considering it's age.

E...bryanandlyn@gmail.com

M....0419 802 302