The Dig Tree - the lesson is as relevant today

BUSHNUT

The Dig tree is a long way from anywhere .

The lesson that Burke and Wills learnt the fatal way is still as relevant today as it was then, probably even more so - that is listen to mother nature and above all take notice of the locals .

Burke and Wills were presumably very educated and knowledgable men, however they ignored the warnings of the natives, they died a terrible death, hunger, the irony of it all is that food that the natives eat was in abundance all around them .

1/. The property on which the Dig tree is.

2/. The Dig tree and the marker on the banks of the Cooper .

3/. The Blaze on the Dig tree left by the support party at the depot that morning , ironic that Burke and Wills arrived later the same day and didn't see it .

4 & 5/. Plaques at the site.

Attachments

• d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 77
  • d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    469.1 KB · Views: 67
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 87
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 78
  • d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

LowLux

Very interesting BUSHNUT. When was the last time you were/went that way? I am going to be doing a bit of touring mid this year and there are a number of places I want to go with the wife and I want to make it an interesting trip.

extremelimitsoff

Good post bushnut, we intend to head out to the Cooper and the dig tree next year.

will start planning our trip when we get back from the Cape

BUSHNUT

Very interesting BUSHNUT. When was the last time you were/went that way? I am going to be doing a bit of touring mid this year and there are a number of places I want to go with the wife and I want to make it an interesting trip.

Hi Lowlux,

We went in August last year . Your proposed time of mid year may be a little early if the rains are on time. See my track notes in the full tracks list QLD on our trip Birdsville to Mt.Dare regarding closed roads - very important.

I cover our trip from Broken Hill to Birdsville in that , the road from Broken Hill to Tibooburra is fairly corrigated and dusty ( bull dust ) at times when we went through .

Innamincka to Birdsville there are two ways via Walker's crossing which takes you over the Sturt Stony Desert and via Cordillo downs, which takes you over the Strezleckie desert- Cordillo Downs is the longer of the two but if you are going mid year is more likely to be open than Walkers .

If your plan is to just go to Innamincka then fit in the Coongie lakes, apparently it is very worth while , we didn't do it as time was against us .

Always check with the relevant authorities for Status of the roads and don't travell alone !

Outback Roads Temporary Closures, Restrictions and Warnings Report - Area 1 - Transport SA

or Road Conditions Index @ ExplorOz

have the most up to date info. we are heading up to the centre in August and will probably come back via Innanmincka - see my thread/post on LOOSE NUTS Trips Comming up

Last edited:
The Dig Tree & area

The Dig tree is a long way from anywhere .

The lesson that Burke and Wills learnt the fatal way is still as relevant today as it was then, probably even more so - that is listen to mother nature and above all take notice of the locals .

Burke and Wills were presumably very educated and knowledgable men, however they ignored the warnings of the natives, they died a terrible death, hunger, the irony of it all is that food that the natives eat was in abundance all around them .

1/. The property on which the Dig tree is.

2/. The Dig tree and the marker on the banks of the Cooper .

3/. The Blaze on the Dig tree left by the support party at the depot that morning , ironic that Burke and Wills arrived later the same day and didn't see it .

4 & 5/. Plaques at the site.

G'day BUSHNUT! Seems like we've been to the same destinations!! Referring to Wonnna & Inna. The lesson out in remote areas like innamincka or the Coongie lakes etc. is to have a reliable 4wd with spares, plenty of water...we had 60Lt, extra fuel and a HF radio. You can camp in Innamincka on the town common / cooper creek for $5 per night and use this as a base for visiting 'The Dig Tree' and explorers graves.

Attachments

• IMG_3215 copy.jpg
    IMG_3215 copy.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3196 copy.jpg
    IMG_3196 copy.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3164.JPG
    IMG_3164.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3220 copy.jpg
    IMG_3220 copy.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3179 copy.jpg
    IMG_3179 copy.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 65

bubba

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks

Great info Bushnut. Some interesting things to see out there.

Cheers
Bubba

Middo1963

Just a historical correction - Burke and WIlls are almost 100% certain to have died of Vitamin B depletion from eating raw Nardoo seeds. They'd been shown the bush food by the locals but didn't realise why the indigenous community cooked the seeds (or thought they were smarter). The seeds contain a toxin removed by the cooking. B&W ate plenty but the Vitamin B deficiency wasted them away and was ultimately fatal. The Dig Tree by Sarah Murgatroyd is a must read for anyone planning to visit.