The death of the Aussie Ute

Patriot

Administrator
News has an interesting story about the death of Aussie made utes. Locally made Holden and Ford utes are plummeting in popularity ahead of imports from Thailand. There will be no replacement for the Commodore and Falcon utes, instead there will be a focus on 4WD 4 door utes (Hooray!)
Thailand now makes the HiLux, Ranger, Colorado, Navara, Triton, BT-50 and D-Max.
There is currently a 6 month wait for the top of the line Ford Ranger Wildtrak and a 3 month wait for the Hilux SR5.
The Ford Ranger has outsold the Hilux on three occasions over the last 7 months and has been Ford's Top Selling model since February 2014.
Utes are now the 3rd biggest category after small cars and SUVs.

Here are the Ute sales for the first 3 months of 2016.
Top 10 ute sales in 2016
Toyota HiLux: 9499
Ford Ranger: 8033
Mitsubishi Triton: 6104
Holden Colorado: 4335
Nissan Navara: 4277
Isuzu D-Max: 3892
Mazda BT-50: 3560
Volkswagen Amarok: 2358
Holden Commodore ute: 1163
Ford Falcon ute: 530

Ford Ranger.jpg

Patriot

Administrator
I had a good look at the Amarok, but concerns about the power cutting out (I bought at the time of the Coroner's inquest into a VW death) and the strength of the 8 speed gearbox put me off. Been super happy with the BT-50 though.

BlueCollie

The Amarok also lacks any airbags to the rear passengers which turned me off when I was looking for a family adventure rig.

bashir

I'm in the market for a newer 4x4 dual cab to fit 3 growing kids (upgrading from an 08 Ranger).
I looked at the Amarok as well as the PXII Ranger and was initially turned off the Amarok as it did not having airbags for the second row.
Though I looked up ANCAP & EuroNCAP to view the videos of the crash tests and it shows structurally, the Amarok is stronger in the side pole impact test.
So airbags would make it an easier choice to upgrade to though....
There is an updated model coming out at the end of this year - so might wait till then to see what new specs are included in the Amarok.

Tornado ALIVE

I had a good look at the Amarok, but concerns about the power cutting out (I bought at the time of the Coroner's inquest into a VW death) and the strength of the 8 speed gearbox put me off. Been super happy with the BT-50 though.

The power cutout was related to a Golf and was not proven.

The ZF 8 speed is a very solid box used in higher HP applications in other Euro prestige vehicles. Originally used in the V12 BMW 7 series is now wide spread across The BMW range, also Audi, Mercedes, Bentley and even the Rolls Royce Phantom. The ZF 6 speed has been used in a lot more vehicles around the world including US and Australian built vehicles. Your home grown XR6 and XR8 Falcons have them.

The Rok is the most underrated of the Utes above and will match, even better them. They also have the strongest chassis of all those Utes listed with 7 cross members instead of 5 as well. It is a shame people just write them of believing can't be capable because it is German or a VW. They are really missing out on a well engineered car.

Peterng

The Australian manufacturers missed the boat and did not pursue their designs for a off road 2wd type of ute, which in itself would have been a good market niche.
It seemed it as all too hard and yet again, we as a nation will not back ourselves.

Swaggie

The Australian manufacturers missed the boat and did not pursue their designs for a off road 2wd type of ute, which in itself would have been a good market niche.
It seemed it as all too hard and yet again, we as a nation will not back ourselves.

With the new Priminister where an Innovative Nation now....:eek::D

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Has Amarok addressed the lowrange reverse issue? I'm still lead to believe that the auto doesn't have a true low range Reverso gear.

Fruju

I'm no tradesman, but my wife told me I should never buy a Commo (as if I would) or a Ford ute, as for someone of my age (46) or older, it would look sleazy and even my 18 year old daughter agreed telling her 19 year old boy friend the same. So maybe this is what the real impression of the Aussie ute is becoming. Both agreed that buying a Ranger or similar would not be a problem.