The Daily Bargain And Deals Thread

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Damn good deal for this 12v oven . . . $25.58 . . . https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-volt-portable-stove/p/YS2808

12-volt-portable-stoveImageMain-515.jpg

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Heavy snatch strap (11000kg) and surprised no strap damper in the kit, they do make one.
Ridge Ryder gear is generally pretty good quality and value, that's a a nice discount and final price.
4WDSC might be about the only place cheaper, but then you get their *$&# service and backup, well that is zero in their case (sorry had to get that in :D).

4runnerSteve

Ive got a ridge ryder snatch strap, used it twice. Both times i did something stupid. it works fine and looks like it will last at least a few more of my stupid decisions before needing replacement.

Chatty

Heavy snatch strap (11000kg) and surprised no strap damper in the kit, they do make one.
Yeah, about the only thing missing from the kit. I keep a towel in the back to use as a damper, but might have to invest in a sexy orange one soon.

ian.c

I've got a ridge rider winch accessory kit where the carry bag doubles as a damper.
Nothing broken in that kit , except the ridge rider winch, no water ingress after many crossings and a few years hanging out the front of the cruiser, broken internal brake coupling , super cheap supplied a new improved one at minimal charge .:)

Chatty

I have a bit of Ridge Ryder kit and the quality always seems pretty good. Usually their stuff appears to be the gear that someone else brought out new last year at a premium price - Supercheap bring it out a year later at a sensible price.
The solar blanket @Les PK Ranger put me onto is a typical example - around a third what you would have paid for a "name" brand of the same thing a year ago.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Liking this oven

Yep, even if you just used this as an extra one for bakery etc, as it doesn't get hot enough to do a roast.
At least I haven't tried it, maybe an all dayer would have a chance of a small butterflied cut (or half chicken).

Interestingly my specs said it runs 150c, but this ad says 125c, which is fine for the purpose of heating bakery stuff.
I can put a couple of pasties in semi frozen, full frozen, and turn after 1/2 to 3/4 hr, another 1/2 hr and right to go.
Usually load at a stop about mid morning for a lunch feed.

MyCrazy80

Yep, even if you just used this as an extra one for bakery etc, as it doesn't get hot enough to do a roast.
At least I haven't tried it, maybe an all dayer would have a chance of a small butterflied cut (or half chicken).

Interestingly my specs said it runs 150c, but this ad says 125c, which is fine for the purpose of heating bakery stuff.
I can put a couple of pasties in semi frozen, full frozen, and turn after 1/2 to 3/4 hr, another 1/2 hr and right to go.
Usually load at a stop about mid morning for a lunch feed.
I'm heading up to Darwin tomorrow to stock up on supplies I'm gonna go to jaycar and get one of these that's a great price.

RBJET

There are 2 models of that oven. The bigger one is $50 and goes to 150 degrees.
Considering getting the smaller one but judging by the size it would barely fit 2 pies?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
There are 2 models of that oven. The bigger one is $50 and goes to 150 degrees.
Considering getting the smaller one but judging by the size it would barely fit 2 pies?

Not so sure RB, think it is just the one size, as those dimensions are same as mine, and it is normally just under $50 normal price.

Size wise for example, you can fit 2 avg size pasties (offset) or pies on the base (just), or stack a few and rotate to the bottom to help heat through / crisp up, but the baking paper does help crisping, seems to take the wet out of the oven, or you can leave the top cracked open and it vents naturally without losing too much vital heat.

Fits 3 Chinese take away alfoil containers with cardboard lids on top of each other.

Maybe they reduced heat output, as mine gets things very hot, way to hot to eat straight out of oven if still on.
So much so, I normally unplug the oven when on a stop at a corner or whatever about 20 mins before planned meal time, leave lid down or just cracked, then about eating temp when you pull up.

That reminds me, when I fit this permanently in a spot, think I'll fit a switch somewhere so I can turn it off (or on) without pulling up to get to the plug in the back.

When stopping for nightly camp, if there are meals in there, I just pull up at camp, park wherever, leave it on for half hour while setting up a bit, then unplug it.
By the time a beer is opened and ready to sit for a while, it's all good.

Power draw seems to cut in / out, but haven't tested this . . . must do or how could it be controlled at a top temp I guess.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yep, first time I've seen the smaller one, mine is definitely the larger one, the top is similar height to the bottom half.

Pity they don't put the internal sizes in both the specs, but looking at external sizes the smaller one seems very slightly less in L & W too, but should still be able to put 2 bakery items in I'd say.
The lower lid would be ok, as most of our meals sit below the middle of ours anyway, just you couldn't stack 3 x Chinese takeaway type foil tubs in there, possibly 2.
We usually take a hot one for me, plainer flavour / bland one for the mrs :D, and a special fried if we want for a first night camp meal.

You're right Brendan, I looked at it like that too, before I got mine from Jaycar, Dick Smith had the larger one out clearing stonk for about $17 !!
That was a bargain, but $50 is still an excellent piece of kit for the trips.

mac_man_luke

Iv got one of the dicksmiths ones but i had an issue when i used it the first time that the heating element moved and melted the casing.
If i was not paying attention it could have been bad!

Modified it by riveting to the aluminium interior as it was only weakly stuck by an thermal paste adhesive.

MyCrazy80

Iv got one of the dicksmiths ones but i had an issue when i used it the first time that the heating element moved and melted the casing.
If i was not paying attention it could have been bad!

Modified it by riveting to the aluminium interior as it was only weakly stuck by an thermal paste adhesive.
Lucky you noticed it! I'll definitely be mindful of that when I get mine.