the bush mechanic

BILLBY

yes saw the show ,been out playing for years
seen the 8 gauge in the older fellas tool kits
there is always a way too limp home ,fabricate something from rubbish
I broke a tie rod end while away a the humble cable tie did over 150km of desert running
to me just thinking about using different things to solve a problem appeals
what else have you got ,used or seen to make a repair
please share well all love a good chinwag round the fire about the time we did this to fix that
:cool:

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Best one i have seen is to get the engine to "lock up" and get the flywheel off on a single pot motor ( pump) on the farm was remove the spark plug and stuff a long piece of rope into the cylinder until no more would fit , then turn the crank , compress the rope (stops the movement dead ) and then use a big bar to remove the nut off the flywheel crankshaft .

Do the repair ( replace the sheared flywheel keyway) then replace / tighten the nut using the same process and then back off the piston and pull out the rope - spray a bit of light oil in there , turn it over to relube the cylinder wall , replace spark plug and start motor.

Took all of 20 minutes :)

I thought that was ******** brilliant at the time and still do :D

noelh

Best one i have seen is to get the engine to "lock up" and get the flywheel off on a single pot motor ( pump) on the farm was remove the spark plug and stuff a long piece of rope into the cylinder until no more would fit , then turn the crank , compress the rope (stops the movement dead ) and then use a big bar to remove the nut off the flywheel crankshaft .

Do the repair ( replace the sheared flywheel keyway) then replace / tighten the nut using the same process and then back off the piston and pull out the rope - spray a bit of light oil in there , turn it over to relube the cylinder wall , replace spark plug and start motor.

Took all of 20 minutes :)

I thought that was ******** brilliant at the time and still do :D

I used a 5/8 socket as a universal end cap and it got me from Dubbo to Wellington NSW which is about 50klm and at my uncles we replaced the socket with a cap he had in his shed which got me back to Sydney lol
Cheers
Noel

BILLBY

stainless steel

sorry should have said stainless steel cable ties the good lady exhaust has been hanging off 1 for well over 6 mths now .
better than wire anytime
:cool: