Change background image

The all new 2.8 hilux, WTF

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by red hilux, May 6, 2017.

1. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

So, I've seen 3 hiluxes towards the end of this week, all blowing out white/blue smoke. Mostly on take off and accelerating. One was blowing off a quite a good amount of smoke. ..

I'm hoping it's not be cause these are the new "D for Denenation" engines.

Do these engines produce that smoke if they are doing the DPF burn off?

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Ha Ha , thats what DPF's do when they fill and clog and haven't burn't out/off
    Been through all this stuff before with Kenworth trucks since 2011 with the Hot Cummins engine.
    Anyone with a DPF fitted , get used to it , if you don't do constant highway miles , It will never burn off and clear itself .
    And if you have a manual burn off button , I can't see it doing anything except wasting time and fuel as it will never generate enough heat to do it.
    The truck DPF filters last around 200,000 klms , less around town stop start , from memory was about $8k to replace one , correct me if I'm wrong.
    And they are a huge size canister , same size as a stack muffler mounted underneath the chassis.
    With the tiny engines and turbos of modern 4x4's Im only guessing how long they will last before you have to replace it if you don't run it flat out all day.
    They should have gone the Ad Blue route .
    A DPF burnoff is when you have to stop and sit in neutral before the truck derates . Its spins the turbo up to high revs to burn off all the crap.
    Ive had them last from 20 - 50 minutes :( And thats with a big motor with a big turbo . As painful as it is , if I didn't the engine would shut down , and go into limp mode and stop .

callmejoe and 80lover96gxl like this.
  3. red hilux

so, every now and again, drop it backa couple gears while driving?

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Lol , that won't help at all , the DPF's work on real heat generated over time to clear .
    The new 4x4 ones are that little and tiny , that I can see people getting a new one at every second service :mad:
    When full they just spew out white smoke on acceleration , to blow out all the crap

5. red hilux

oh yay

6. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for a few of these new diesel vehicles to get reported to the EPA. Looks heaps worse
    than a bit of black diesel smoke.

7. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Might look worse but I believe the white smoke resulting from a DPF burnoff is pretty much harmless, afterall that is the whole idea of DPFs :)
    Tink

8. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

When there working as designed there is no smoke, all these smoking hilux's and tritons
    are spewing out is what they haven't burnt properly due to lack of highway running or a long high engine speed run.
    Maybe they should come with a bumper sticker. Something like.
    Don't report me. My new cars fine, excess smoking is perfectly normal. lol

9. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I've never had any experience with them so I have no idea, but is it smoke, or is it some sort of condensed vapour?

10. red hilux

It's 100% smoke. Def not condensation

Mr Rum likes this.
  11. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

I have a 200 with 2 x DPF, done 10,000kms. The Exhaust is as clean inside as the day I got it. If you wipe your finger on the inside of the exhaust - nothing. Not a trace of soot. My old 200 was black as black.

12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Smoke from DPFs is a sign they are about to Let go

A few things to look at

-Check that the motor oil they are using is DPF suitable.
    -The 5th injector on the exhaust could be clogged
    -check fuel quality

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    bazzook likes this.
  13. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Don't think just ad blue will get the required emission rating

Rating from most DPFs get 5 star

DPF And Ad blu gets 6 star like the Ford Everest.

Fairly sure the 2.8lt DPF system uses an exhaust brake with a 5th injector in the exhaust to assist in getting temps up.
    Having load definetly helps while in a burn

From what I have seen they do burn every few hundred kms, a burn with no load at hwy speeds Will only see about a 30% clean so going from say 90% to 60%

On idle they will hold 900rpms to assist with the burn and does a good job about 50-60% clean

From all reports Smoke means they are probably going to fail. And even when they do the car still drives

Our Prado exhaust is crystal clean while on a burn the exhaust is odourless and no smoke

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Spooner likes this.
  14. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

There's plenty of truck owners with the add blue system that have had trouble too.

15. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Our fleet hiluxs are all doing this. There doesn’t seem to be a correlation between highway driving amounts etc either. Then there’s the tail shaft clunk and the dash falling out of one of them. I don’t know what we are getting next but the MD assured me that it won’t be Toyotas. Not because they broke but because their after sales treats us like we are idiots. My ranger has been good but overall Ford’s after sales haven’t been great either. When will these mobs learn?

16. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Active Member

Two people I know with new Hiluxes - one blowing white smoke which the dealer apparantly admitted is a common fault and took a lot to get it fixed, the other with a stuffed DPF replaced under warranty. I don't know anyone else who has one so 2 out of 2 with issues is worrying.

17. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh what a feeling. :(

18. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

19. Cokedaddy216

Cokedaddy216 Active Member

There are lots of DPF cleaners out there , if your average joe & don't know about the system the dealer or your mechanic aren't going to tell you :eek:
    Taking a drive to the Gold Coast or were ever once a week isn't what most folk think about to burn off there DPF , or know they have one :(
    That auto expert video is worth watching :cool:
    Just putting fuel in the tank & off you go dosen't work when fitted with DPF o_O

20. phs

phs Well-Known Member

There would be a huge amount of these getting around, they are the highest selling duel cab and highest selling SUV.

We just clicked over 33k In our 2.8 DPF Prado no issues so far, and never meet any owners with any issues

But most definetly heard the stories lucky for us we have 5 years warranty

dno67 and Albynsw like this.