Change background image

The age old question... who to insure with?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Robbo94, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Robbo94

Robbo94 New Member

Hey! Before picking my car up a week or 2 ago I quickly joined with racv just for immediate cover til I had time to do the ring around

I am under 26 so I am prepared that I will have to pay extra so I'm hoping to hear from some people in the same boat. I have a 2005 GU auto wagon

Club 4x4 have offer $18,200 agree value but the insurance per year comes in at around $1600 with a excess of $1200. Seems a bit too high honestly.

What advance can you all add? Thanks !!

2. time

time Member

I'm 64, so less of a risk supposedly! but my annual ring around had me with Coles for the past 2 years. Best agreed value with all my mods and accessories.

Robbo94 likes this.
  3. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Can't help you with pricing but check what you are covered for
    Some will cover you to be anywhere in Australia as long as you are legally entitled to be there others will have tighter exclusions which may be an issue if you go off-road

Mr Rum and komaterpillar like this.
  4. Robbo94

Robbo94 New Member

Yeah exactly right, I guess that why I started off with club 4x4 as I really need the off road coverage

Albynsw likes this.
  5. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

6. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I'd ring Coles and ask them some specific questions - my Dad was insured through them until they couldn't answer whether he would be covered on a beach or not.

My cruiser was with Club 4x4 - happy customer. The new vehicle is with Toyota Insurance for now as it was part of a package, but that may change soon.

Aaron

Robbo94 likes this.
  7. Robbo94

Robbo94 New Member

Thanks for the info legend, I'll get ontop then tomorrow

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  8. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Have a look at the top of this forum, under the insurance tab. Club 4x4 partner with 4x4 Earth; if you get a quote and then go ahead with it via this website it helps to support the forum.

Aaron

Patriot and Robbo94 like this.
  9. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

anyone have first buy back option with there insurer, so if its written off you get first option for buy back of the wreck to reclaim most of your mods ?

10. Cyberess

Cyberess Active Member

It's certainly good to ask questions , try Arthur J. Gallagher 4WD insurance https://ajg.com.au/personal-insurance/4wd-insurance and do list all your modification and ask questions about being off road and defiantly ask about excess, as I found "Club 4x4" insurance double of Arthur J. Gallagher 4WD insurance and the, and I found having my sons on the insurance policy extremely expensive with "Club 4x4" insurance.

Have a read read of http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/vehicle-insurance.42706/#post-561956 it's about a claim that I made with Arthur J. Gallagher 4WD insurance.

Cheers

11. Rojac

Rojac Well-Known Member

I'm with Shannons that has salvage rights, I think ( but not 100%) that it has to do with the age. Mine in a 1990 HJZ75

itlldoo likes this.
  12. itlldoo

1991 HZJ80, with lots of good bits, doesn't rate with the insuro's, but priceless to me !:cool:

axle82 likes this.
  13. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

I went straight to club 4x4 for the new D4 but not due to price or car cover although the agreed value and extras cover is good but I definitely wanted the 4wd recovery option so if the new high tech does go pear shaped on the Gibb River road or in the middle of nowhere next year on our next big trip I have some piece of mind. Fingers crossed and touch wood I wont be using the cover and it is $$ wasted

abw and Albynsw like this.
  14. Albynsw

Good idea Matt, recoveries from remote areas are expensive, a Simmo desert flatbed recovery can cost several thousand dollars.
    When I broke down out there about 5 years ago I arranged for the parts to be delivered out to me so I could drive myself out. Only cost me $1200 delivery fee :eek: for the parts but still a much cheaper option

LCV8VICTORIA and discomatt like this.
  15. discomatt

What parts were needed and what car?
    I am already starting a list of bits to take, brake switch and globes, filters, belt and a couple of sensors along with an emergency repair/inflation kit for the suspension

16. Albynsw

It was an 07 Hilux and broke a front strut ( Bilstein)
    They had a replacement OME one on the shelf at Birdsville but needed a spring compressor as well to fit it up

17. itlldoo

the parts you take are normally the ones you don't need.:D

Aaron Schubert and hiluxdriver like this.
  18. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Off Topic.
    Fluids like Brake fluid & Auto Transmission fluid (Used for Power Steering as well).
    Cable Ties - I have used them twice on two differant vehicles in two days as a Fan Belt with one doing 200 km towing a Caravan.

19. discomatt

Yep a few fluids are a standard pack, those items mentioned are LR specific travelling musts to prevent any limp home modes or any ill informed LR horror stories, trans fluid is ZF 8 speed specific and no longer doubled up with power steering.

20. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

I use GIO because I know they
    a)will insure the vehicle anywhere
    b)Are not fussed about mods provided you list them to get them insured
    c)will insure against bad fuel
    d)have been pretty good with paying out ( though their nominated repairer screwed up my vehicle once that took a lot to fix - not doing that again.)

I have a 10% multi policy discount. That means little. Every year I go through this cat and mouse game with them ( on all my insurance).

I get the policy which is generally $200 more than last year. I make up a number that is about $245.43 less, then say I have a quote from Coles. They go through this list of reasons why coles sucks and I tell them I don't need that stuff anyway. Then they go on hold, (and make a cup of coffee i'll bet), and then come back and tell me they got management approval to beat it.

This works with every insurance renewal, every Gas and Electricity renewal. I used to shop around but it takes hours / days to get rid of the other companies you get the competitive quotes from.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017