Change background image

Test drove a few 4wds today

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by red hilux, Nov 10, 2018.

1. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

I manages to test drive a couple 4wds today
    Ive ranked the cars
    1. 2018 triton
    2. 2018 merc ute
    3. 2018 paj sport
    4. 2018 v6 amarok

The triton and merc ute were most comfy on the test track. The merc interior is more refined, while the triton's lllooonngg rear end hits a few times. Ive still placed the triton over the merc purely becasue of cost to buy. I just cant see myself spending that much for a ute.

Paj sport. While having the same engine and gearbox, I just found the sport more laggy, and also the suspension didnt feel as nice as the trition and merc
    2018 amarok. on this test track, it was not nice. A very harsh ride ( might need to get my spine adjusted jokes ), very laggy engine

all utes were unloaded at time of testing

2. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Never driven any of them but Surprised the V6rok was laggy

3. red hilux

everyone I talked to hated the amorok.

4. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Pajero Sport doesn't have the same gearbox, an 8 speed auto against the 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual in the Triton. Where did you drive them out of interest?

Tink likes this.
  5. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

The Triton will be even better value when it goes into run out, not that I would buy one :rolleyes:
    Tink

6. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy another Mits no matter how good the deal is. You'll pay for it later.

CaptainBanana and dno67 like this.
  7. BlueCollie

BlueCollie Well-Known Member

The 2019 Triton looks fantastic.

8. CaptainBanana

CaptainBanana Active Member

The new triton has a 6 speed auto and the pajero an 8 speed. The current 5 speed is used in Landcruiser, hilux and pajeros and actually works well in terms of ratios matched to the triton motor. If you're loaded up though it does shift firmer than most modern autos and it has a big stall speed which shows up more when loaded up.

9. red hilux

my bad, thought it was the same
    not as nice as the triton still

10. CaptainBanana

It works well while the cars stock but it's quite different once loaded, not bad just firm. It also comes off the lock up converter rather easily so you end up with lots of converter flare.

11. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

And no doubt a cooked trans without an extra cooler and heaps of extra fuel, no good for towing if it does that with just the car loaded

12. CaptainBanana

With my usual load for work it's manageable with very small throttle inputs but even a head wind down eastlink kicks it back off the lock up and flaring. It does have a good factory cooler but that's a fix for the high stall speed which is a fix for its low tourqe output at low rpm, a slipping converter allows for more rpm and boost. Also with its massive overhang heavy ball weights can lower the bum a bit which makes the steering a bit sketchy in some conditions.

Other things worth mentioning are the front end cannot be lifted more than about 35mm or you Max out the droop bump stop, if you fit a shorter bumpstop or cut yours you regain some droop and reduce bump steer but you still don't have much lift. The solution is a uca swap, diff drop and coil overs so add about 3k + engineering.

The factory tyre size is 29.5 inches which makes the speedo nearly 10kph out and also makes it impossible to go up 2 inches in diameter as every single combo ends up about 3-4mm over the allowed 50mm. The available legal fitments are quite a step down. I really wish I'd checked my numbers better on the tyre front.

Whatever you save buying a triton youll spend making it fit for your needs unless you're actually going to keep it stock and relatively unloaded.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    callmejoe likes this.
  13. Rhett HS

Rhett HS Active Member

Not sure if you want a ute or wagon? Makes it tougher to decide. Wagons should be ahead on comfort, but have other drawbacks to weigh up.

Maybe you could test drive a navara next. Similar to merc but better value. Halfway between the merc and triton.

14. red hilux

The nav was there.

I just didnt get a chance to drive that or the dmax