Tecniice 45lt fridge

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just thought I'd post up on the new Techniice fridge I recently received.
Car Fridge Freezers, Portable Fridges - Techniice Portable Fridge Range
This model / deal http://www.techniice.com/car-fridges-1/45l-car-fridge-2.html

Currently $584 total inc shipping, includes the fridge, cover, 240v and 12/24v power leads, and 6 dry ice packs, which I'll try sometime on next trip (likely March).

Arrived while I was away, back last night . . . all fine, good solid carton, no damage, everything there.
Assembled handles and cover onto fridge, and despite normal protocol for the male species, read the instructions.

3 seconds later :D, there's a pile of water bottles in there, and it's switched on in the lounge room on 240v.
I plugged a power monitor meter to the power point, and will update on running cost / draw when I get some data over a little time.

Ambient temp at the start was 19c, 1/2 and hour later it was 8c, and 2c (first setting I punched in) another 10 - 15 mins later.
Have since lowered it to -2c as this will probably be a good temp for drinks and general food.

Setting this up inside the cabin, running through an automatic isolator switch (manually switchable to jump main battery if ever needed) from an anderson charged ark pak fitted with an agm 130 amp hr battery.

Looking forward to trying it out for the first time at Bendleby meet up in March, then the real test across the Simmo in April.

Attachments

• P1194748.JPG
    P1194748.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 250
  • P1194749.JPG
    P1194749.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 250
  • P1194750.JPG
    P1194750.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 228
  • P1194751.JPG
    P1194751.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 245
  • P1194752.JPG
    P1194752.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 250
  • P1194753.JPG
    P1194753.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 270

profoto

Got the fridge and the free ice box (5 days with ice packs), admittedly it was 45° and they lasted just shy of 3 days, and they become quite slimy as they thaw out.
I don't know if this goes away after a wash but it feels bloody awful when you pick up a slimy stubbie.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I didn't get their ice box, already have a couple of 41lt Dune ones . . .
Reading the info on the icepacks, says if they aren't hydrated enough they are slimy.
Supposed to soak some more in warm water, squeeze out any air, and freeze again.

Maybe they just get slimy as they defrost ??
Not sure, but will find out I guess.
Was going to use them with block ice and an ice box for longer trips, used this as a drinks fridge.
I expect the dry ice with blocks will go for quite a while.

TheWall

Hi Les,

I have had the same one for about 9 months and I have used it a fair bit with trips to Moreton, Straddie & Fraser plus plenty of day trips and also lots of 240volt home use when we have needed more freezer space.

Recently ran it for two weeks at -10 as a mate bought half a cow down from the country for a visit. :) they seem pretty robust.

Everyone who I have camped with cannot believe the price I paid for it as they have the Arb's etc. if I buy a second I will still be ahead!

Enjoy.

Matt

Lays4B

Sounds like a good fridge and a good buy. I use their ice packs and love em. I use one onthe fridge side of my evakool on top and it does a good job of holding the cold in when opening/closing and stays frozen. You have to spend the time getting each square solid when hydrating them but then they're good.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Got yourself a good deal there;)Makes all the big names look grossly inflated:rolleyes:

A tip if anyone if looking to buy an icebox in this brand, don't go to there website. Jump on ebay and watch his auctions. I scored a 100lt box with a heap of dry ice packs for $74.00. Massive saving compared to BCF or any other camping store for the equivalent ice chest.

80lover96gxl

Nice purchase mate, will make life much easier out on the tracks for ya.

We run ours at 4°,,anything less and things start to freeze, milks not so bad but fresh vegies and the like are normally ruined once frozen.

Look forward to checking it out at Bendleby.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Cheers all, will ensure I get those icepacks nice and hydrated, and all the air out . . . Also have to fine tune temp settings I expect.
With the basket keeping things off the sides / bottom, I might get away with placing things like veg to the top centre.
Mind you I generally keep most veg in food boxes in the back ok, haven't had much need to refrigerate them, but may be needed on longer trips.

Sent from my HTC1 using tapatalk

profoto

Thanks for the info on the ice packs, I will rehydrate and see what happens, it is amazing how much water they take up, I left them in a laundry trough and when I came back about an hour later I had to refill the trough, will give them a better squeeze this time.
The fridge works well on 240 and 12v and I like the idea of the reversible lid, we use our for shopping in the small car, power it up before we go then bring home the frozen food for the 45 minute trip on hot days, works a treat.

tremewen123

I got a 30lt techniice as a second fridge for bigger trips, it lasted 2 trips, now just flashes error and does nothing. It was pretty irrregular with fluctuating temps when it was working. It's a shame because the size is good and it seemed like a good deal but i would've got another ten trips if I'd just bought ice with the money doh.

Lays4B

Could be undervoltage error. Does it work with a 240v adapter? If so it could be the wiring in the car

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
^^^^^

Yes, check power to the unit, but if using ciggy light, it should be ok . . .

Not sure if you still have the instructions, but they say :
Error light flashing once - Turn off the unit. Set battery pro setting to 3, turn on again (was not enough power to unit).
Flashing twice - check if fan working.
Flashing 3 times or more - check if ambient temp is above normal, and / or if air vents are blocked.
No error light, but at fault - check fuse in 12/24v cable.

IF PROBLEMS STILL PERSIST CALL HLEP DESK 1800 655 540.

tremewen123

Thanks Les, I've had the error light on both 12&240v,last time on 240 I got a bit of a buzz coming off the 12v side of the transformer. Since then I haven't bothered to look at it, the common denominator is the 12v side, could be a dicky plug, I should get on and sort it out. My other fridge is an ironman 50lt which has worked brilliantly for four years now.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
No worries, if still in warranty, might as well give them a call, nothing to lose.
I'd say you should expect at least 2 years without hassle from such an item.
Let us know how you go.

Sent from my HTC1 using tapatalk

mattyj

it a rebaged evakool

tremewen i have the same problem with my evakool its in getting fixed at the moment
seems to be a burnout due to poor vent in the car and really hot days

80lover96gxl

We run ours at 4°,,anything less and things start to freeze, milks not so bad but fresh vegies and the like are normally ruined once frozen.
/QUOTE]

Why do you put your spuds and onions in the fridge? Beer at 0°C.

regards

Not spuds or oninos, things like lettuce, tomatoes and bags of coleslaw mix, stuff like that, things the misses likes to take away on camp.
Seem to last longer when refrigerated.

tremewen123

Tested my Techniice fridge out again last weekend, it seems it was the plug causing the grief. I used the 12v lead off my ironman fridge and it ran fine all weekend. I'm now going to look into a better connection than the CIG plug, thinking Anderson or something along those lines for better reliability. Thanks for the motivation to try I out again lads