TD42 + Turbo ????

O

Openson

I am planing to turbo my 95s Nissan Safari, TD42 and need your help in the following question:
Which turbo it would be better to use for my TD42: stock factory TD42T turbo (HT18-2), Garrett GT28xx turbo, or something else????

What turbo would give me better result without doing a damage to the motor???

Need your thoughts, ideas, experience . . . . . .

Thanks in advance . . . .

O

Openson

thanks mate for your reply . . . . .
and what kind of Gt28xx turbo exactly ?
GT2860RS? GT2871RS? or else . . . . .

GPS Guru

Be VERY careful. I had a turbo fitted on a TD42. I ended up with a cracked head ($3500) and ultimately the engine starting putting oil through the air intake - all with less than 200,000 kim on the clock. And the engine was maintained correctly too.

Pure Yobbo

Be VERY careful. I had a turbo fitted on a TD42. I ended up with a cracked head ($3500) and ultimately the engine starting putting oil through the air intake - all with less than 200,000 kim on the clock. And the engine was maintained correctly too.

Wow first time I have heard of that - not that I am saying it didn't happen.

My old girl has 325K on the clock and still going strong with a hair dryer. Had it on the Dyno not long ago it was all going well although the pump is starting to get a little tired.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I am planing to turbo my 95s Nissan Safari, TD42 and need your help in the following question:
Which turbo it would be better to use for my TD42: stock factory TD42T turbo (HT18-2), Garrett GT28xx turbo, or something else????

What turbo would give me better result without doing a damage to the motor???

Need your thoughts, ideas, experience . . . . . .

Thanks in advance . . . .

I found the Safari turbo to be a pretty neat set up. Find a reputable fitter and they will do the right thing by you i'm sure. Might need to replace the big ends, I would suggest it anyway. they are pretty easy. there area new tripple coat bearing for around 250 a set.

GPS Guru

I think it was the install. It was overfueling in one spot. The installer blamed a flaw in the metal but I queried Nissan. They said if that was the case, it would have let loose a long time earlier. They also said they "shudder" when they hear about aftermarket turbos as they invest millions of dollars in research in turboing an engine.
I have since found out that this particular installer does overfuel engines for a bit more power.
I've had a negative experience about aftermarket turbos so it has tainted my opinion. But I have heard more postive stories about them than negative.

InSanE

pretty rare for a good condition td42 to fail with boost aslong as it is tuned correctly best investment to protect your engine is an Exhaust Gas Temp gauge so you can monitor your engine temps so u know when to back off the throttle a bit.

sidewaysvc

whats the difference between a gq td42 non turbo and a gq td42 standard turbo (other than the turbo lol) like internal work cooling system oil pump?

Any difference at all or all same same?

Pure Yobbo

I think it was the install. It was overfueling in one spot. The installer blamed a flaw in the metal but I queried Nissan. They said if that was the case, it would have let loose a long time earlier. They also said they "shudder" when they hear about aftermarket turbos as they invest millions of dollars in research in turboing an engine.
I have since found out that this particular installer does overfuel engines for a bit more power.
I've had a negative experience about aftermarket turbos so it has tainted my opinion. But I have heard more postive stories about them than negative.

As someone else has mentioned alot can be said for EGT Guages. Sounds like the installer had a tuning issue.

InSanE

nope my turbo is much larger, its a custom garrett turbo charger from JPC its closer to the GT2876r has a big front cover with 4" inlet