Tassie trip easter 2019

Luthy

Hi all,

The missus and I are planning a trip down to Tassie over easter, 2019. We will be travelling the east coast down and then up through to the middle and then back down (bypassing Hobart really) the west side and then back up the west side and around the top back to Davenport. We plan on doing some easy/moderate tracks while we are there, seeing the sights and the beaches, mostly camping along the way. Just wondering if anyone has some good/hidden gems down there that are worth a look or camp that they can share. We have about 2 weeks travel on the island. Cheers in advance

Luthy

muzza22au

Myself and my partner did a trip last year from the NT, we stayed at all free camp sites except Bruny Island.
There are a lot of great spots. We even had a wild encounter with a Tassie Devil down on the south east. We were also travelling with a dog so that dictated where we could go and where we could not go.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
2 weeks isn't a lot for that, the island is fairly small, but it as a heap packed in there !!
Did a family trip some 15+ years or so back, ferry to Devo, A3 to east coast, Bicheno friends, Freycinet / Wineglass bay walk, Pt Arthur, Hobart, Bruny, and down to Geeveston > Cockle Ck.
Back up to A10, Lake St Clair, couple of days walking in there, Queenstown, Strahan (fave place there !), up to Cradle Mountain, then past Mt Roland, and to kill a bit of time that last day did a little drive to Peguin, before back to Devo for the ferry back to mainland.

That was 3 weeks down there.
Maybe await other locals advice, but think it's too fast for proposed plan.

Oh, another trip with bushwalking folk, we went down the central plateau route, and it was pretty awesome, loads of fly fishing people all through there.

Beever

Hi Luthy
Happy to help with some tips depending on where your going.
Like Les said there is a lot to see and do in two weeks and you don’t want to get home worn out. Also places to avoid especially at Easter.
Drop us a message with a bit more info of your planes if you like
And i May have some gems or things to add depending on where your going
All good

Spooner

Hi Luthy
Happy to help with some tips depending on where your going.
Like Les said there is a lot to see and do in two weeks and you don’t want to get home worn out. Also places to avoid especially at Easter.
Drop us a message with a bit more info of your planes if you like
And i May have some gems or things to add depending on where your going
All good
Nice work Steve :)

Luthy

So we are arriving on the Mon morning the 15th and leaving on the 26th which doesnt give us much time but anyhow. We are planning to stay at a nice resort/villa on the 22nd-23rd overlooking cradle mountain (hopefully). Are the places far between? As in could I stay at one location and explore the surrounds? Gives me a better chance of planning the itinerary. thanks in advance

Beever

So we are arriving on the Mon morning the 15th and leaving on the 26th which doesnt give us much time but anyhow. We are planning to stay at a nice resort/villa on the 22nd-23rd overlooking cradle mountain (hopefully). Are the places far between? As in could I stay at one location and explore the surrounds? Gives me a better chance of planning the itinerary. thanks in advance
Ok you’ll be busy what I migh do is put down some stuff and you can see what you can fit in and what works for you.
Sheffield is worth a look it’s behind Devonport
If your heading east from Sheffield go up over mt Roland and though to mole creek there is a nice camp at lake parangana (nice lake side just you and your fire. ) if you go that way.
The Cataract George in Launceston is worth a look
Launceston is the third oldest town in the country
If you go there the city park in town is nice.
There are quite a few wineries down the tamer valley
Beauty point. Kelso. Greens beach. Are nice.
Slip over the Batman bridge toward
Bridport. Nice
Derby old town lots of mountain biking there now.
The old Paris dam tune off is near the weldborough tavern worth a look there is a real nice camp at a small lake just off the road to the dam. Look on google earth.
Slip through to St. Helens head out through towards binalong bay onto gardens rd. Lots of nice beaches and camps. There’s a real good swimming hole off the end of Seaton rd. Right beside the sea. Worth the walk.
The east coast ,there are lots of nice beaches
If you were on a motor bike I’d say slip up to st Mary’s then through to Bicheno it’s nice and bendy.
Lots of nice beaches and spots.
Coles bay there are some nice walks and real nice spot. Popular
Port Arthur
Hobart’s not a bad town. If you do go there
Water front and salamanca
Mt Nelson look out is good
Mt Wellington look out. Give you a real good look at the coastlines.
Cockle creek is as south as you can go. will be real busy
Up the west and the central highlands the Great Lake is big
The wall in the wilderness at Derwent bridge.
The bird river track nice. Walk into east pillinger nice.
Strahan. Touristy but a boat trip up the Gordon river is nice. Touristy.
Montizuma falls can be easy can be harder depending on weather.
Your booked into cradle the walk around dove lake is nice .very touristy place
If you have time slip down to Corinna drive through the western explorer to
Mouth of the Arthur river then back past lake Chisholm
The trowutta arch
Smithton
Stanley nice old fishing village. Do the nut. It’s a good view
Dip falls and some big trees.a bit further in the road
Pegs beach camping
Rocky cape.
Table cape look out if it’s a nice day
Wynyard
Burnie
Penguin
Ulverstone
Devonport
There is lots to see in Tassy it’s easy on the eye ,and you won’t see it all ,no wrong or right way to do it, iv skipped over lots of stuff. Locals will tell you places as well. you won’t need 4x4 except montizuma falls if you do it.
jump on google earth if you get time
Hope the weather is good for you.
Take your time the roads are bendy
You can come back

Check out the Waddamana hydro power station museum too, in the Central Highlands
https://www.hydro.com.au/things-to-do/waddamana-heritage-site
The Gordan River cruise is excellent but a good budget option is the Arthur RIver Cruise (via Corinna with its river crossing on the 'Fatman' barge) Also in the area is Trial Harbour, Granville Harbour and Kuta Rocks with free camping opportunities,
Gordan Dam is also worth a look (80m wall)
Camp at Cloudy Bay if you are heading over to Bruny Island.

Beever covered enerything else.

Luthy

Yeah I'm starting to think we have no where near enough time to see the whole island now. Maybe the east coast first and another trip for the west coast...... I was told the Mona Museum is good too and the Drucken Admirable is an awesome place for a feed.

Luthy

So here's the plan for those interested:

April 15th Monday: arrive in Davenport. Head to Sheffeild have a look around and then to the cataract Gorge. Bit of a look around and some shopping then a cruise to Ransons beach for our first camp.
April 16th: cruise down to the bay of fires for some camping and a look around, hopefully wet a line and get settled in to tassy life. 2 Nights
April 18th: cruise to Triabanna and get a cabin there for 3 nights. Quadbike frecynet nah park and after head to Maria island for a look, port Arthur, maybe Hobart, just gonna see what we can accomplish.
April 21st: hopefully make it to Queenstown with a look at the wall, the lakes area and a couple of other stops.
April 22nd: Lindsay river campground after a stop through Strahan, Zeehan and Montezuma falls.
April 23rd: Wynard overnighter plus a look around the area
April 24th, 25th : cradle mountain caravan park in a villa cleaning our stuff relaxing and getting ready to head back to the main land on the 26th.
April 26th,: back to the main land and along the GOR for a cruise and back up through whyalla and the back way back to the central coast, hopefully home around the 30th and back to work around the 5th.

Does this sound doable? I have booked in till we get to Triabanna as it's Easter holidays so had to make sure we had accommodation organised but after that we are just gonna wing it as I'm not sure if the missus will just want to stay abit longer on the east side. I think we will have a fair bit of time to see the sights as most trips are quite short and we won't have much to set up and pack up. We are also quite flexible with places to see. What do y'all reckon?

Cheers Luthy

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Luthy, I'd skip Hobart if you have to.
The port, Battery area is nice, some good pubs, but the whole thing with Tassie is more the nature based things.

If you can slot Bruny Is in, the cruises from Adventure Bay out to the point (Bridge Rock ,The Friars) is pretty exciting.
A bit pricey for a family, but hey it's something to remember.

If you get to Queenstown, you couldn't go past Strahan, but then you'd need a few days there with the Macquarie Harbour, Gordon River, Sarah IS penal colony, Hells Gate cruise, and Zig Zag railway . . . wood mill at the port is good, still have a beaut cutting board that STILL smells strongly of Huon Pine :)

It's all good mate, but I'm worried about you trying to fit all that in in 10 days !!!