Tanami Track

Baggs71

45 is way to low for a single axle van, when fully loaded a single axle van will be at close to max loading for the tires so the tires must be close to max PSI.
I run 55 cold on my van on road, off road don't know yet because life keeps getting in the way of holidays
Bitumen , a blatant waste of tax payers money
u are indeed very correct..hence bfg tyres are rated to 85psi cold...pressure on a single axel must go higher in most cases to accomdoate increasing weight thus avoid bulging and over heating

sand etc is opposite in some cases....

but in general on roads...higher psi for higher axel load weight

discomatt

There was a thread on aulro recently about how crap a certain tire was because the side wall delaminates. It was his rear tires and was running 38 psi and towing, nearly 2 ton on the rear axle, not a tire issue but a weight verse pressure issue

billolga

Definitely no shot at you @dirvine . :)
On the same trip we ran into two others in a hurry to cross the Tanami & all they had on board was a 1 ltr bottle of water & were going to pick up supplies along the way.
Would have loved to have bean a fly on the wall at Rabit Flat.:oops::D

dirvine

Definitely no shot at you @dirvine . :)
On the same trip we ran into two others in a hurry to cross the Tanami & all they had on board was a 1 ltr bottle of water & were going to pick up supplies along the way.
Would have loved to have bean a fly on the wall at Rabit Flat.:oops::D
Rabbit Flat has been raised to the ground and the entrances have been over grown to an extent you would not know it was ever there unless you had old maps with a GPS.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Rabbit Flat has been raised to the ground and the entrances have been over grown to an extent you would not know it was ever there unless you had old maps with a GPS.
Last time I went through there, which was about 2017, there were a few drums across the track in/out from memory

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Did it in 2019 and is how I described
No doubt, it is amazing how quickly the land will retake possession of man made tracks, would love to see photo's of the place now, it was an institution and the owner a character for sure, wonder where they all are now?

dirvine

No doubt, it is amazing how quickly the land will retake possession of man made tracks, would love to see photo's of the place now, it was an institution and the owner a character for sure, wonder where they all are now?
I did the track in late November 2010 just before they closed. (31/12/2010) Reason was that they were no longer allowed to sell unleaded because of sniffing and the Govt would not subsidise the installation of a new tank for Opel fuel. When we called in it was only the old lady. She looked very frail and I would be surprised if she was still living The place was now built like an old bank with bars across the counter and a opening just big enough to push a slab through side ways. Was at that stage still well supported by the locals with the evidence of how long it took to drink a can being marked all along the road. As the years passed it just went into disrepair and then was demolished and then fully closed off. In my youth I spent may a night at that place as it was very well supported. In 2010 it was just a shell of a building with nothing for sale other than booze and fuel.

IsaacDoo

Did the track 4 weeks ago. Plenty of road works at the end of the black top. Pretty corrugated but no big holes. Towed a Kavango across at a reasonable pace. Wouldn’t be keen towing anything not designed for rough roads across it. Only fuel was at Stuart Well, unable to access Billiluna due to COVID.

dirvine

Did the track 4 weeks ago. Plenty of road works at the end of the black top. Pretty corrugated but no big holes. Towed a Kavango across at a reasonable pace. Wouldn’t be keen towing anything not designed for rough roads across it. Only fuel was at Stuart Well, unable to access Billiluna due to COVID.
Dont you mean Tilmouth Well?

cam04

30 psi on a tandem van is an each way bet. Not low enough. Was he running a WDH to break the coupling? I’d like to know what brand if you can find out?

discomatt

WDH weight distribution hitch, they should never be used off road or dirt roads with big washouts or mounds

a1bert

30 psi on a tandem van is an each way bet. Not low enough. Was he running a WDH to break the coupling? I’d like to know what brand if you can find out?

WDH weight distribution hitch, they should never be used off road or dirt roads with big washouts or mounds
Sorry for delay, yes he was running a WDH, would he encounter wash outs etc on the Tanami?
Caravan, Legend 19.6" full off road suspension!

discomatt

Sorry for delay, yes he was running a WDH, would he encounter wash outs etc on the Tanami?
Caravan, Legend 19.6" full off road suspension!
This explains it all, the WDH was the cause of one failure and a generic road based van with some checker plate was the cause of the other failures alone with to high tire pressure and speed although the latter would or could have little to no influence on the outcome
Of coarse this is all guessed causes from someone who wasn't there or seen the track in recent times or the car and van but I did do about a years research into vans before forking out hard earned for a van

Bomber2012

I’ve never towed a van but keep hearing tales of carnage , research and lots of $$$$ is essential if this is your preferred mode of transport .