Change background image

Talawana Track update required

Discussion in 'Tracks Discussion' started by Mini, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Mini

Mini Member

After reading Mr. Rums amazing trip on the Talawana Track, I ask for any updates since May. Mr. Rum had to do a U-Turn (probably a 5 point turn) and retrace his steps after almost getting through then stopped by water. Would like to know if that track is dried out, best contact (other than here) to find out, and how many more people have passed through mowing down the spinifex. Leaving in two weeks and probably mid August till we get that far after coming from Cairns. This seems like my major obstacle between here and the Pilbara.

Mr Rum likes this.
  2. sharkcaver

sharkcaver Well-Known Member

well latest i heard is the CSR is still closed due to water and will be for some months yet.

copied from a closed FB group as its useless to post a permalink if you are not a member. I'm sure they wont mind, there is not trade secrtets in there;

How that affects the talawana....NFI.

3. Mini

Mini Member

Sharkcaver, thank you for that piece of news, disappointing but best to know now. Will have our option to proceed straight ahead to Kunawaritji and on to Marble Bar I suppose. Can also check with vehicles coming the other way which way they came I guess. Always good to have a plan B.
    Mini

sharkcaver likes this.
  4. mauriceb

mauriceb Active Member

This is the bypass track @Mini did part of in June from Well 33. Its 622km if you go into Cotton Creek. We didn't go down to join the Talawana as we travelled the remoter west of the park Via Hanging Rock, Cristie's Crossing to Skull creek Road then Nulligine. Georgia Bore to Kunawarritji bypass MB.jpg

sharkcaver likes this.
  5. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

According to the website below it states that the CSR is closed between wells 25 and 26 which shouldn't affect the Talawana track at all. But @Mr Rum could shed some light on this for us as he was there not long ago.:)
    http://canningstockroute.net.au/

6. Mini

Mini Member

Hi Richard, yes, thanks for that. In May last year 2017, I did the Canning and Well 25 was the only one we were not able to get there out of the whole 51 wells. The water there was a bright red, redder than mud and it looked quite eerie. There was a very 'newish' detour around it and then it became detours off the detours as the water seemed to be rising.
    Yes, I read with interest Mr. Rums adventures on the Talawana Track and that is what made me launch this enquiry. Mr. Rum writes the best stuff and his photography is fantastic. Can't wait for Mr. Rum to get his drone and send in some video. Thanks for help there richardlnsw, yesterday I devised and documented my 'Plan B' via Kunawaritji, Punyu, Telfer, Carawine Gorge, Skull springs Road etc and do some of the trip backwards, turns out O.K., slightly less kilometres but missing out on Marble Bar but then picking up on some railway tracks from Tom Price to Karratha - should be fun ;)

richardlnsw likes this.
  7. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words again.
    I did reply with this on my trip report thread..

“I do know of at least one vehicle that’s been through since us. They went through four or five weeks later, and though they got bogged once, they did get through. Surely there’s been a few since then. Who knows. At least you should get through.”

I can’t find the post the bloke made on Facebook, or I’d share the photos of him bogged.
    As long as you’ve got adequate protection from the spinifex, I wouldn’t be concerned now. Especially as you won’t be travelling alone.

richardlnsw likes this.
  8. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I don’t know if this will help you, but if the links work, you should be able to piece it all together.

The track is the grey line wiggling across the map, and we were travelling east to west (right to left).
    Everywhere the images look like salt lakes (white), they were in fact water lakes.

In the first image, the green arrow points to where the track first went under water, but we went bush for a couple of hundred metres to get around it where I parked and went for a walk.
    Where it followed the edge of the water it was soft under foot, and though driving on it might’ve been alright, I wasn’t willing to risk it.
    Once the track moved away from the waters edge, it was firm, and would’ve been fine, but that led to where the red arrow is pointing, and I wasn’t interested in driving through that either.
    C2B1A74D-C904-4D9C-8DBA-C7C60F549040.jpeg
    https://goo.gl/maps/mh2gHv5cn3K2

The idea we had was to skirt the flooded area roughly where the blue line is, but we aborted that idea when we realised how long everything was going to take, plus we still had this to worry about a bit further up the track..

9F37868D-C7FF-419D-A93C-2C26BF715ED3.jpeg
    https://goo.gl/maps/AMGQK9LgUKs

The area in the green circle was the unknown bit that had us worried, and the blue arrow is pointing to where the Talawana Track meets the CSR.
    So close!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. Mini

Mini Member

OMG, so near and yet so far. I can see your dilemma and an aerial view would have helped with the drone as to what was happening at that particular moment. Yes Mr. Rum, I was aware that a following vehicle got through (thank you) and doing the Gary H'Way and Talawana Track is still the way I am planning on and hoping for. The Plan "B" was a back-up only to action only if we had to. I also intended to check with east bounders on the Gary Junction Road as to which way they got there, Talawana Track or from the Telfer & Kunawaritji way. This will be my first ever remote trip towing a camper trailer (K.K.) which would add to any concerns about getting back out, the other vehicle will not be towing.

Was wondering where your mesh was, I now see it is directly in front of the radiator whereas mine sits over the front grill area. I would send an image if I knew how to insert it. BTW What channel are travellers on out there, 10, 40 or something else ?. Did you or Jen get my CSR story ?.

Mr Rum likes this.
  10. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Yeah, the mesh is stretched out about half way between the grill and radiator. It usually just lives there all the time. I put it back in before I started the Connie Sue Highway, and it’s still there now. Apart from our Talawana experience it’s pretty much just been set and forget for the most part.

Channel 40 is the go to on the CSR, and seems the most commonly used by everyone else out there as well.

Yep, we both got both emails this time (just checked). I’ll get around to reading it when I get a moment and let you know what I think.
    Thanks.:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    richardlnsw likes this.
  11. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Finished the CSR 2 days ago. Water has not dropped much, maybe 100mm. Track still closed. Spoke to one vehicle which tried to get around about 6 days ago. Hopelessly bogged in what looked like a dry track. Just read of a vehicle which got through but the vehicle is water damaged badly and the boggings, yes plural, have wrecked the track.
    The first 50 km of the Talawana west of Georgia Bore is corrugated, after that it is OK to Purrungar then a highway west. Have a great trip.
    Tink

sharkcaver and Mr Rum like this.