Change background image

Sydney to Uluru-Kata Tjuta and back.

Discussion in 'Trips' started by Muddled, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Muddled

Muddled Member

Hey guys,

As I've found this forum to be a wealth of information with plenty of people happy to freely share their knowledge (even if it is on apparently controversial topics), I thought I'd look for some advice on routes and points of interest between Sydney and Uluru, maybe heading back a different way.

The core idea is to take 10-15 days off work, Solo to Uluru and pick my partner up from the airport there (she's currently not keen on going bush for that long), stay in the swanky resort for 3-4 days, and then head back solo again.

The Vehicle is a '17 mitsi triton and by the trip will have - 30.5 inch tall AT tyres, Aftermarket Suspension, fridge, front/rear recovery points (if not barwork, $$$ depending) UHF + I assume a sat phone is a good idea and cheap insurance.

I also have a full recovery kit with spare shackles/straps as well as max-trax and a hand winch.

So any advice on good routes that are achievable within that timeframe (4-5 days there, maybe the same back) and any essential items or modifications I should prioritize, Cheers all.

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Going to have to cover some distance each day to do it in 4-5 days

Id look at going via cameron corner -> Lyndhurst -> Marree -> Oodnadatta -> Marla where you could do the last run on the bitumen but might be pushing it timewise?
    Only other real option would be mostly bitumen?

Muddled likes this.
  3. Muddled

Muddled Member

I thought the time frame could be a bit short, could maybe push for a bit of extra time, or bitumen it back and do the more interesting stuff on the way there.

Still adjusting to the ridiculous costs of living in the city still settling in here, so nabbing more than 2.5 weeks off work might be tricky unless I want to eat rice and soy sauce once I'm back.

Cheers though, I'll scope out what you suggested, if spending more days on the way there then hightailing back, I'll comfortable push 4-7ish hours a day (more for the initial push away from the city) would a more interesting route be possible?

4. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Yea maybe do say 6-7 days over and do the nice dirt tracks then 3-4 days back via bitumen

Muddled likes this.
  5. Muddled

Muddled Member

Cheers man,

Looking at June/July so plenty of time to work out the route, but the sooner I get some plans going the better, plus if anyone suggest some essentials I'm missing I'll have time to sort that all out.

mac_man_luke likes this.
  6. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

I don’t know how much you like driving, as that will be a really big factor. Five days would get me to Broome with time to spare (on bitumen), but others wouldn’t enjoy going half as far in that amount of time.
    I don’t know how flexible your travel days are either, but if possible I’d probably aim to take the express route over, and leave myself with the extra days to enjoy the scenic route home. You could always do it the other way around, taking in the sights on the way there and racing home, but I get nervous going remote when someone’s expecting to be picked up from an airport. A little rain can change your course rather substantially out that way, and being late to pick up the Mrs from an airport isn’t likely to score you any brownie points.

The Oodnadatta, and Strzelecki tracks are both worth the effort, and as they’re more or less well formed dirt roads, you shouldn’t have any issues tackling them.
    If you do choose to do the Oodnadatta Tarck, it’d be worth downloading the mud map that’s available on The Pink Roadhouse’s website before you set off. With it, you shouldn’t miss anything.

If you can squeeze it in somewhere, I’d also suggest a visit to the Prarie Hotel in Parrachilna for a feed. I’m literally starting to drool just thinking about their menu.

I’d also make sure I had is some form of communications. Assuming you don’t already have something, I’d look into at least hiring a satphone.
    I can’t remember who we used, but before we bought the one we have now, we hired one. It was posted it to us, we used it, then posted it back when we were done. For reference, I think is was around $200 for the three weeks about four years ago. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

EDIT: Sorry for repeating what others had posted.
    There was only one reply when I started, but work kept rudely interrupting me while I was typing.:p

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Muddled likes this.
  7. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Your partner is really missing out if she doesn't drive at leave there or back. To be air dropped in a tourist Mecca like Uluru doesn't give you a realistic feel of outback Australia
    How about doing a soft touring route and take her with you? Stay at accommodation rather than camp, places like the pubs at Marree, Innamincka and Birdsville are geared for tourists and you still get to drive the outback tracks and see the real thing. Yeah she may not like it but at least she will gave experienced it.

One suggested route is Bourke, Tibooburra, Cameron's Corner, Marree, Birdsville then north and the blacktop over to Uluru or Mac Mans Luke version is just as good.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Mr Rum and Muddled like this.
  8. Muddled

Muddled Member

Yeah I think she's definitely missing out, but she's already gotten a crash course in bush travel from me since she's came from the U.K (city girl) to here.

After the last trip, she said a resort was next, plus unfortunately minor health concerns have popped up that would make longish distance remote travel a risk (they Brits don't seem to make them very hardy, we're only early 20s). Once that's sorted out were hoping for 3ish months of travel.

Plus I mean, what better way to get some alone time than a few days solo out there aha :)
    Cheers man, yeah I did have that thought about rain and was thinking it'd be best not to risk it and flip the fast track to the beginning.

As I'd be solo for the big driving part, unless in an area of interest would be punching out km, early nights and starts when you're on your own I find. Get into camp before dark and leave earlish the next day after I've had enough coffee rev me up. On bitumen I'd be comfortable with 800-1000km a day, on the tracks, well you never know how long realistically.

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses

Albynsw and Mr Rum like this.
  9. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

My favourite way to get to the centre is Bourke, Cameron Corner, Innamincka, Birdsville, Boulia, Plenty Highway and onto Stuart Highway to Alice. As Mr Rum said it depends on your driving style but for me that trip is 2 days to Cameron Corner, 2 to Birdsville including time to see the sun set at Cordillo Downs and visit big red and another 2 to Alice. The Plenty is a bumpy old road but still easy enough to sit on 80km/h+.
    Rain will cause massive issues for all of the above though.

Mr Rum, billolga, Albynsw and 2 others like this.
  10. Muddled

Muddled Member

throwing in some extra days and adding kings canyon to the mix, may as well go for broke aha.

Mr Rum likes this.
  11. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

My suggestion is don't zig zag all over, take the shortest route to Hawker in SA and drive up the Oodnadatta Track, cut through to Finke from Oodnadatta and have a look at Chambers Pillar and Lamberts Centre, nice camping at both, then follow the Old Ghan into Alice. There's plenty to experience on the Oodnadatta track including a lookout to Lake Eyre. There are a few nice chasms and gorges close to Alice off Larapinta Drive that you can get to on sealed roads too. The scenery along Larapinta Drives is quite spectacular at the right time of day and sure to impress the mrs. I'd flatten it along the highway home, roughly 27 hours of driving, I did it non stop once when I was young and stupid....now I'm just stupid. :)

Muddled and Albynsw like this.
  12. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Turn off at Yunta for the Flinders short cut.

Muddled and 80lover96gxl like this.