Swag or Tent

Bomber2012

Thanks for the info guy's, seems I could be getting one or the other of these bunker type setups as I'm finding it harder to get up off the ground these days .AS much as I love my swag it maybe time to upgrade.
Cheers all.
Thats what changed my mind mate , I loved my swag warm , comfortable but getting up off the ground first thing in the morning wore thin . Stretcher type sleeping arrangement is easy , up and at em . :rolleyes:

shaun0

Thats what changed my mind mate , I loved my swag warm , comfortable but getting up off the ground first thing in the morning wore thin . Stretcher type sleeping arrangement is easy , up and at em . :rolleyes:
I still use my mega mat inside the bunker for comfort and warmth but i might try my thermorest as it packs down much smaller wouldnt be as comfortable but would save space. The mega mat is nice though!

mikehzz

I bought a stretcher the same size as my stretcher tent and put my swag on it. The stretcher ended up weighing almost the same as the stretcher tent so I was loading a stretcher and my swag. That's why I've moved to an ultralight stretcher. The ultralight is pretty low to the ground so a bit iffy. Everything's a compromise.

Bomber2012

I bought a stretcher the same size as my stretcher tent and put my swag on it. The stretcher ended up weighing almost the same as the stretcher tent so I was loading a stretcher and my swag. That's why I've moved to an ultralight stretcher. The ultralight is pretty low to the ground so a bit iffy. Everything's a compromise.
Its great we can share ideas , there is no one size fits all with camping gear everyone is different , whether its climate , solo or more , age , its cool to hear each others experiences . Putting time aside to get out there is the key .

I am a big fan of my ARB swag, it's dark, warm, comfortable everything needed for a good nights sleep. I loathe tents, we have nice hard floor camper we take when we go away with the kids and I sleep better in the swag then I do the camper.

It's funny to read all the preferences out there. I have a Kings double swag and take it anywhere I go. I do have the benefit of the ute so I can throw it straight on the back regardless of weather. I've done a trip from Melbourne to Brissie and stayed overnight in the double swag with my other half and three kids! Think sardines...

I have an old canvass tent that never lets me down for longer trips (takes a good 20 min to set up) but overnighters, or going alone, swag all the way for me. Everything in it, rolled up, straight on the ute on top of everything.

Air mattress... never again. I've bought my fair share and they rarely last the trip. Although only buying cheap ones, maybe an expensive quality one would be different...

sharkcaver

Air mattress... never again. I've bought my fair share and they rarely last the trip. Although only buying cheap ones, maybe an expensive quality one would be different...
You haven't tried an exped megamat then have you!
Bring your money with you.

I have a +35K camper and last year it had about 5 nights (over 2 trips) spent in it - which is almost double what I usually get in it. It's coming close to 12 months with no use and I have no plans for its use on the horizon either.

I generally get +40 odd nights under canvas in a year. Most, if not all, of those trips are without family, so in that case, I'm not stuffing around towing, its swag all the way. Each to their own I guess.

Grippy

I've just made the move to putting the swag on a stretcher for the last couple of trips, got the big Kings one, fits my swag nicely. Makes getting into and out of it easy, especially after a few.
As for tents. I hate the bloody things, however have a huge 2 room setup for the occasion the Mrs wants to come with a Queen size self inflating mattress, bloody comfy, but takes up a shit load of room in the car and not something I really want getting wet on the roof.

shaun0

Heading up to Ecumbene again and taking the double hoop swag this time as its heaps warmer then the Bunker XL i tested up there the other weekend. Bunker is comfortable but heaps more air space in there with the fly pegged out and even with the same heavy insulated mat i use it was colder. As far as im concerned its more suitable for warmer conditions then what we get up in the snowy mountains region.