Swag features

smitty_r51

I said in my previous post that we can pretty much set this swag up in a puddle, but that night the puddles resembled lakes.
That is part of the reason my roof rack is 2m long... Worst case (or crocland) i can throw the swag up on there and tie it to the bullbar... Do have to lift the wife up there though as she is only little :p

Grippy

I have a Down Under brand dome swag, mesh at both ends and the whole thing opens up sort of half way down the side so I can just step into it, and out. It's nice thick canvas and I've never had a problem with it. The other week on the Border Track it rained all night, everyone else had theirs set up under fancy awnings, worried about some splash coming in, mine was on a small tarp out in the rain, I was toasty warm and dry inside. I love the thing, sometimes I'll pick a fight with the Mrs so I can sleep in the garage in it
My sons smaller lighter swag I'm not too sure about, pvc base and light gauge canvas.

muffin man

I have a Down Under brand dome swag, mesh at both ends and the whole thing opens up sort of half way down the side so I can just step into it, and out. It's nice thick canvas and I've never had a problem with it. The other week on the Border Track it rained all night, everyone else had theirs set up under fancy awnings, worried about some splash coming in, mine was on a small tarp out in the rain, I was toasty warm and dry inside. I love the thing, sometimes I'll pick a fight with the Mrs so I can sleep in the garage in it
My sons smaller lighter swag I'm not too sure about, pvc base and light gauge canvas.
I wonder why that is....quality versus the cheapies that are in the market.

Lovey

G'day all,
thanks to everyone that offered advice and tips, it's very appreciated. I emailed Mark (Mr Swagman) a few times and he was very helpful. I ended up going for a Mr Swagman deluxe (dome/hoop version). I'll give some feedback when I've had a chance to use it.
Thanks again all.

smitty_r51

My jolly swagman xl shiralee is still going great guns... Used it twice in the last fortnight while camping on the road side

Swaggie

Lads I'm looking for a single swag, rather than start a new thread I figured I'd jump on this one :)

Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are I'm chasing a king single

Really like the look of this one http://www.mrswagman.com.au/premium.shtml/premium-classic-double.shtml

To be honest I wouldn't pay that much without hoops.They keep the canvas off you, your breath will cause condensation and then your laying in it, that design would be a pain in the ass, women wouldn't like it either, It's hard enough getting them in it with hoops lol

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I was lucky to get my first swag real cheap about two years ago ( thanks 4x4 earth :D ).
This is a Darche Calibre 1100.
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sa...le-dome-swag?gclid=CM2i9Pby1M8CFQybvAod5xkOEQ
I sleep on the ground under my truck awning or some other overhead cover.
Just in case bottom gets wet?? , underneath the swag I use locking rubber mats which I bought from Bunnings. This can give you enough room to step out on.
Being an old bloke and finding it hard to get up off the ground in the middle of the night I have seen many blokes use a stretcher to place swags on. One bloke was 130kg and showed me that the stretcher was strong enough to take all the weight and not even tip when getting in and out of the swag. Might have to invest in a stretcher.:). Sure beats sleeping on the ground in thick grass wearing my clothes, on an open stretcher in an old sleeping bag with a bit of netting, in the back of a wagon with clothes on, etc, etc. . Sure is comfortable today.:D
DSCF1436.JPG

fazz

To be honest I wouldn't pay that much without hoops.They keep the canvas off you, your breath will cause condensation and then your laying in it, that design would be a pain in the ass, women wouldn't like it either, It's hard enough getting them in it with hoops lol

Fair call swaggie what do you recommend instead mate? I had the Burke & Willis Waratah swag
  • Length: 2150mm x Width: 830mm x Height 750mm

But found the width was to small for my liking... I've heard lots of bad review about the Darche polls just snapping as they are super thin...?

http://www.mrswagman.com.au/premium.shtml?product_id=76
looks like to much coin...

http://www.mrswagman.com.au/premium.shtml/premium-deluxe-double.shtml
looks pretty good but still a lot of coin! at-least it can also act a double...?

The http://www.swag.com.au/swags/product/29-down-under-jumbuck-xxxl.html looks alright

nananut

http://www.swag.com.au/swags/product/18-true-blue-bluey-bigfoot.html I slept in or on one of these every night for the 2 week trip to Central Australia. Even with hoops, there's condensation if fully covered so I let the top part down to reduce the condensation. I usually have a stretcher for the swag to go on and only use the top hoops and tie them to the stretcher legs, left the middle and bottom hoops as they weren't needed.

For this trip though, I didn't take the stretcher and had a self-inflating mattress for extra comfort. I left the self-inflating mattress and sleeping bag in the swag but took the pillow out. I could have left the pillow in but have to roll the swag really tight which I couldn't be bothered doing. I just used a heavy duty tarp for under the swag.

fazz

Looks like its down to:
Brumby Double Dome (must be pretty big)
2160mm x 1420mm x 750mm

Banjo Double Dome (1 hoop, 1 stand)
2160mm x 1220mm x 750mm

Mr Swagman Deluxe Double
2100mm X 1200mm X 800mm

Jumbuck XXXL Dome
2290 x 1100 x 760

paul-gee

Also consider the following swags, Fazz:

Burke & Wills Redgum X Large Swag
Jolly Swagman Matilda XXL Swag
Darche Dusk To Dawn Swag 900

fazz

Also consider the following swags, Fazz:

Burke & Wills Redgum X Large Swag
Jolly Swagman Matilda XXL Swag
Darche Dusk To Dawn Swag 900

Thanks for that mate

The reason I like the mr swagman is its at 1200mm wide which isn't tooooo big for when I use it as single yet big enough for the miss'o when she's tagging along

The other doubles are 1400mm wide and the king singles are 90-110mm

Last edited:

Swaggie

Hi Fazz
Ive been using a B&W Redgum Double for a few years now but will be replacing it for a king size weisshorn or something similar...

Cheers

fazz

Hi Fazz
Ive been using a B&W Redgum Double for a few years now but will be replacing it for a king size weisshorn or something similar...

Cheers
How do you find it when your solo mate?

Never heard of Weisshorn

moose2367

Personally i would never buy a dome type swag again, too hot and not as versatile for different scenarios, back of vehicle etc.

A traditional swag with a mozzie dome rolled up inside with it or seperate. I have a Blackstump mozzie dome, goes up like an umbrella, no poles to try and connect etc, put a tarp up if it is raining and still get airflow.

Spent many nights on sandbars up the daly river fishing and hunting, always glad to be able to lay on top of the swag in the middle of the day for a snooze