Suzuki Jimny - what's your experience with them?

Ron0z

During my reading of the 'experts' choices of what's good/not so good in a 4WDs, the Suzuki Jimny came up a few times. Three things stuck in my mind from their comments: 1) they'll go just about anywhere your regular 4x4 will go, sometimes easier 2) They're small - if you have anyone in the back seats then forget about taking any luggage 3) they're economical to run - they would have to be with a 1.3 L engine.

Before I get too deep into bothering people who have them for sale, is there anything about them you think I should know, be aware of, look out for, etc.? I'm thinking of something up to 2013, but beyond that, they are going past my budget.

joshinthecity

They're uncomfortable for anything beyond a moderate distance on the road (choppy)
Virtually unstoppable off-road with a good set of MT's underneath.
Reliable despite high rpm running all over the place.
They use more fuel than you'd expect due to the above.

Kippie

Years ago I travelled around Fraser island with one. It only had standard wheels, but was unstoppable in the sand (despite not knowing anything about dropping tyre pressure back then). Suspension was non existent, but it was heaps of fun!

Ron0z

I expect the short wheelbase would lead to a rougher ride. I that what you mean by choppy? But why do you say unstoppable? (I'm not sure the unstoppable remark is that the brakes are useless, or you can't get enough of driving the thing.)

Chatty

I used to own the previous version - the Sierra - and I don't think a lot has changed since then.

On road - anything above 80k was painful (kidneys and back), liable to induce motion sickness and likely to cause hearing loss due to engine, wind and road noise. That meant that 4WDing had to be within 100km of home of I was to keep my sanity. But I know people who've travelled thousands of km in them.

Off road - the most fun you could have with your clothes on. Would go anywhere, narrower than most others so less side damage on narrow tracks, ridiculously larger approach, ramp over and departure angles, light so didn't bog down easily and easy to recover.

Would I own one again? Not as an only car, but as a second car bush pig...
And I have heard of people who tow one on a trailer to 4WD parks and locations, just for sheer fun of them.

mikehzz

I know 2 people who bought the new model and waited a year for delivery. One has already traded his for an MUX because you can't fit anything decent in them, on them or behind them. They're essentially a funky toy.

Lost1?

A mate had a Siera as a fishing toy on the limestone coast. Brilliant on the beach. He was well set up for overnight trips on the beach. Great little bus in that environment.

Chatty

I know 2 people who bought the new model and waited a year for delivery. One has already traded his for an MUX because you can't fit anything decent in them, on them or behind them. They're essentially a funky toy.
There isn't any comparison between a Jimny and a Mux - they are such different vehicles.
A Jimny is great for a young person (or couple without kids) and don't want to spend a lot of money and still get a capable vehicle.

Hoyks

I had 2 sierra's, a leaf and a coil sprung. Coils were much better, but needed heavier ones than the factory provided and it struggled with my 100kg in the front seat. The taller springs gave more travel too.
Ride was a bit choppy, but you got used to it... or amybe I was just a lot younger then. I did 5 or 6 Townsville-Newcastle and back (3 days each way, once towing a trailer) trips in mine and survived.
If you have a soft top, fill the ashtray with ear plugs.
Yep, would go pretty much anywhere, even on standard tyres. If it didn't, you could push it out.
Fuel consumption wasn't that good, about 9L/100km (around 400 from the standard tank) on the highway. Poor little 1.3 was screaming its tits off. I get about similar mileage from a diesel ute that is twice its weight and could just about carry a sierra and do 800km on a full tank.
I never got a speeding fine in any of them.
If you go camping, better get used to packing light.

I'd love another one.

poppygrumps

I had 2 sierra's, a leaf and a coil sprung. Coils were much better, but needed heavier ones than the factory provided and it struggled with my 100kg in the front seat. The taller springs gave more travel too.
Ride was a bit choppy, but you got used to it... or amybe I was just a lot younger then. I did 5 or 6 Townsville-Newcastle and back (3 days each way, once towing a trailer) trips in mine and survived.
If you have a soft top, fill the ashtray with ear plugs.
Yep, would go pretty much anywhere, even on standard tyres. If it didn't, you could push it out.
Fuel consumption wasn't that good, about 9L/100km (around 400 from the standard tank) on the highway. Poor little 1.3 was screaming its tits off. I get about similar mileage from a diesel ute that is twice its weight and could just about carry a sierra and do 800km on a full tank.
I never got a speeding fine in any of them.
If you go camping, better get used to packing light.

I'd love another one.
I had one of the early ones when I was young and single.
It was at wo stroke and had a bottle on the side of the carby you filled with 2 stroke oil and would mix itself.
Wouldn't go over 80 km on the road but couldn't bog it if you tried in the scrub.

Ron0z

There's one advertised for sale where I am, but I get no response from my enquiries. Perhaps it's sold already and they just can't be bothered taking the ad down. Things like that might be the deciding factor on what I buy.

Ron0z

That was quite interesting! It seemed to be a lot of ads for aftermarket this that and the next thing, but as I've never actually noticed/seen the Jimny before never mind having the experience of sitting or driving in one, so despite that it was good to see a close-up view of one. Thanks for posting. Most appreciated.

Interesting that this guy mentioned noise, as has been noted above as a criticism of the car, but he didn't find it so bad, but then he's biased. Actually, all of the posts focused more on the driving experience rather than any particular problem the vehicle might have. By the sound of it the Jimny might be quite a reasonably reliable choice. The alternator was singled out in the video as a design flaw in that it is positioned low on the engine and might suffer from water/mud issues if not looked after.

Ol' Harley

Never owned one of these myself, but been in a mates quite a few times. I have to echo the comments of @Chatty in that on road, well, you wouldn't want to be in one for a long trip, at least I wouldn't.

However, they're great for the beach / sand driving. The word "nimble" springs to mind. Top little unit for beach fishing or for simple dirt stuff.

cam04

The one in the vid is a different car to the ones you are looking at. They are pretty tiny.

nitrobrent

Go for the bigger brother. Tj Wrangler.
Most fun you can have with your top off
20211216_161946.jpg
20211216_201126.jpg