Suspension, What Height is the Right Height ?

Adventure guy

Interested to get peoples comments on what they consider, the appropriate (a good trade off) for ya 4by. Most seem to go for a 2-3 inch lift.

This Patrol is running 17 inch Micky Thompson', with a 7 inch lift, too high or just right ?
If too high, why so....

Attachments

• PATROL XXXXX.jpg
    PATROL XXXXX.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 192

LowLux

I think it looks great but is it really necessary? A 2" - 4" lift should be more than sufficient for most vechicles unless they're in comp. Anything more is a waste of money and effort IMPO because you then have to start thinking about extended brake lines, drive shaft and CV angles etc etc etc. Like I said it does look tuff though. I wonder if that rig will go anywhere a 2" lifted vehicle won't?

olcoolone

I think you lift is to much, follow us on some treks and you would not make it under tree branches plus you have lifted the center of gravity a far bit making it dangerous when chasing sand dunes.

We have a 3.5 inch lift and find it is good, 2 inches in suspension and 1.5 inches in bigger tyres.

But it depends what sort of 4x4ing you do, where you travel and how much posing you do!.

Last edited:

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
It all depends on what you do as Lowlux has said already

2 inch will be covered by your insurance company 3 inch may also and anything above that depends on how good is your relationship with the insurance group you are with

for most 4 wheelers 2 inch lift with some larger tyres will be enough and i know othesr that need more that their 5 inch lift for the tracks they do regularly.

When these new rules come in 2inches will most likely be it, so lets hope there is no retrospectivity with the legislation or otherwise your 3 plus lifted vehicle maybe limited to the sunday licence as hence drive:eek:

darlingd

Here in Qld 2" is the max legal suspension lift you can go, so it does also depend on where you live.

jazzajess

2.5 inch

hey mate im running 2.5 its heaps, Have not needed any more yet.

Attachments

• DSC04813.JPG
    DSC04813.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 119

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Interested to get peoples comments on what they consider, the appropriate (a good trade off) for ya 4by. Most seem to go for a 2-3 inch lift.

This Patrol is running 17 inch Micky Thompson', with a 7 inch lift, too high or just right ?
If too high, why so....

7 inch is overkill!! This patrol, I doubt thats a "7" inch lift anyway?? I'de say more like 5 MAX!!

BIG OVERKILL!! Get a 3 inch lift and a front locker. It'll go further and those that know, won't laugh at another "wankmobile"!! Easy!

croozza

7 inch is overkill!! This patrol, I doubt thats a "7" inch lift anyway?? I'de say more like 5 MAX!!

BIG OVERKILL!! Get a 3 inch lift and a front locker. It'll go further and those that know, won't laugh at another "wankmobile"!! Easy!

Agree.....but more like a 4 inch lift. and he has 305/70/16's rubber on its feet. A 2 inch is all you need and it keeps it legel, if the laws change to make 2 inches the limit then you are going to have to change back to 2 inches if you are bigger than that, if you don't then if you have a smash then your insurance has a way of getting out of paying.

Poolman84

My mate has GU had 5 inch lift, two of those were correction lift cause it had sagged, are you sure its 7 or is it say 4 higher than original!

milsy78

I used to run a TJ Wrangler. 4.5 inch lift, 2 inch body lift on 35 inch MTRs. Looked good and performed not too bad. I eventually went to front and rear lockers but Ill get to that. I was wheeling the other day in my current car, a 02 Prado, 2 inch lift, 265/75s (32 inch) MTRs, and got nearly everywhere that my Jeep could go. I suspect that in the next month or so when I put lockers on the front and rear of the car it would go most places that the Jeep could go. Severely rutted out tracks are obviously going to need larger tyres and therefore larger lift. But I was always told, whatever tyres you need to run for whatever you need to do, the lift you should install should only be enough for the tyre size. You see alot of Patrol kicking around with the snake racing 7 inch lift, with only 33s or 35s on them, just a tad on the overkill side. Yes they look good I guess, so if that's what your after than I guess go for it.

What is the go with this new legislation coming into NSW? Only 2 inch max is it?

kyleb

I currently have a 40-50mm (approx 2") suspension upgrade in my D40 Navara and have gone from 255/70/16 to 265/75/16 which gives another 20mm (approx 3/4") The Navara has a very long wheelbase, so I tend to rub the belly a bit out in the hills/high country when climbing up over the drains across the track. I would like to go another 1" or 2" suspension lift to help improve the ramp-over angle and stop the belly rubbing so often, but at the moment, I will have to stick with what I have got until the modification laws discussion settles down or gets resolved as the engineers are reluctant to certify the mods at the moment.

I believe 2 - 3 inches in most vehicles would be adequate, but some of the newer vehicles, especially some of the dual cab utes (eg: Navara and Hilux) may be suited to up around 4" to help counteract the longer wheel base. It all depends on where you want to take your 4WD.

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Something to note for all those of us with IFS vehicles (Tritons, Prados, Navaras etc) is that you are only going to get about 2 lift out of the front of these units as the drive shafts will limit how far you can go. That and if you lift them to far you are putting undue stresses on the front axle uni joints and asking for them to let go at an inconvienient moment, and sooner than they should.

TUFF IFS LUX

new hilux's can comfortably be lifted up to 3" without undue stress on the CV's.....they are a big change and improvment on the previous generation where 2" lift was pushing the limits with the torsion bar front ends.

I agree with the sentiments of others...you should only lift enough to make the tyres your using clear....anything else is wank factor.....

Alot of people running bigger than 3 or 4 inch lifts could have ran a smaller lift if they were willing to trim the inner guard areas for more clearance....

huge lifts in most cases are counter acted by a wide track increase but you usually only see it on comp trucks/rock crawlers......pointless on a street driven truck.

Nickj

7 inch is overkill!! Get a 3 inch lift and a front locker. It'll go further and those that know, won't laugh at another "wankmobile"!! Easy!

What Frosty said.

Yep with 7 inches of lift and 35's, you are still limited by the clearance from the bottom of the diff to the track surface. Only taller tyres will fix that clearance.

Nick

croozza

I used to run a TJ Wrangler. 4.5 inch lift, 2 inch body lift on 35 inch MTRs. Looked good and performed not too bad. I eventually went to front and rear lockers but Ill get to that. I was wheeling the other day in my current car, a 02 Prado, 2 inch lift, 265/75s (32 inch) MTRs, and got nearly everywhere that my Jeep could go. I suspect that in the next month or so when I put lockers on the front and rear of the car it would go most places that the Jeep could go. Severely rutted out tracks are obviously going to need larger tyres and therefore larger lift. But I was always told, whatever tyres you need to run for whatever you need to do, the lift you should install should only be enough for the tyre size. You see alot of Patrol kicking around with the snake racing 7 inch lift, with only 33s or 35s on them, just a tad on the overkill side. Yes they look good I guess, so if that's what your after than I guess go for it.

What is the go with this new legislation coming into NSW? Only 2 inch max is it?

once you put the lockers in your rig will be transformed, one hint though is not to tell people you have lockers, you can win a few bets before people find out, stupid patrol owners wont know what hit them....lol.

Davidman

Needed some front lockers today.................oh well, something else to save up for.........does it ever end :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bainsy

once you put the lockers in your rig will be transformed, one hint though is not to tell people you have lockers, you can win a few bets before people find out, stupid patrol owners wont know what hit them....lol.

why is there a compressor running in your 4wd? and what are those clicking and choofing noises!!! :eek: you have lockers!

a vehicle with 3" lift and lockers will go more places then a 7" lift and open diff rig for sure! im not telling you what i got though :D:D:D