Suspension Lift on a Budget - IFS 1999 Hilux

HiluxingAlong

Help me
Wondering how do you Lift a single cab LN167 Hilux in a tight budget...

I can't afford the $1.5-2k proper lift, only looking at 2" so obviously a spacers kit looks attractive... Google has a serious amount of mixed reviews on this so wondering if I can get some first hand advice

cam04

You’ll get a reliable 35 odd mm out of the torsion bars before you start to need ball joint/diff spacers. Springs for the rear. A small wind up and a 2” body lift on a single cab is easy enough and arguably better if it is bigger tyres you want to fit. I went that way with an 03 hilux on 33’s way back when. It worked out ok.

Colly18

How did you go HiluxingAlong?
I notice you can pick up a pair of new 2 inch lift rear springs on ebay for about $420-$480. Add the cost of spring bushes to suit. If you are still considering what to do, maybe look at e-suspension market (ebay)/Suspension Supplies Australia (BlueMax springs and suspension kits). Reason I mention them is I picked up a pair of medium duty BlueMax rear springs from them early this year, for my 2014 Colorado and fitted them myself (not a hard job). Then gave them a 10,000 km hammering on desert, gravel and bitumen roads (+ a few 4WD tracks) with a full load (GVM about 3 ton). They worked a treat, gave me 30mm lift (would have been 40mm lift I suspect, if I didn't have a canopy, roof racks and spare battery in the tub), and no suspension height drop over the past 8 months as a result of springs settling in.
Possibly steer away from spring spacers and extended shackles as there are questions about the legality of these (?)

jacnden

Help me
Wondering how do you Lift a single cab LN167 Hilux in a tight budget...

I can't afford the $1.5-2k proper lift, only looking at 2" so obviously a spacers kit looks attractive... Google has a serious amount of mixed reviews on this so wondering if I can get some first hand advice
Simple lift on a budget?, wind up your torsion bars , thats free but you will need a wheel alignment and then some extended shackles in the rear for maybe 150$ . Cheap simple 2” lift

discomatt

2” body lift
Totally illegal throughout Australia so could end up costing a whole lot more than doing the job properly in the first place.
When it comes to building any car, the poor man pays twice, save some coin and do it properly first time.
If you cant afford to do a lift leave it standard height would be my advice

cam04

Totally illegal throughout Australia so could end up costing a whole lot more than doing the job properly in the first place.
When it comes to building any car, the poor man pays twice, save some coin and do it properly first time.
Or you could do some actual research. If you have an eligible vehicle such as the OP has (no stability control etc) It is a standard LS3 plateable mod in Qld under the NCOP up to max 50mm blocks and the vehicle needs to be inspected - as mine was. If you lift past 50mm combined it’ll need LS7/8 testing also. There is nothing wrong with a body lift done properly and on torsion front ends with jack shit adjustment that want to keep their original geometry it is a very viable option. The (BJ) spacers he mentioned and the extended shackles also mentioned are illegal everywhere.
Photo was up the cape 2005. Same vehicle as the OP’s running 33’s and pretty normal looking suspension angles. 2” body lifted.

Attachments

• AA896ADD-F534-431E-A1F5-DC270B2F449F.jpeg
    AA896ADD-F534-431E-A1F5-DC270B2F449F.jpeg
    817.5 KB · Views: 1,512
Last edited:

Colly18

In South Australia the current situation is as follows (from SA Gov website)
Vehicle ride height cannot be raised by:

• wedges or blocks located between the coils.
  • relocating a leaf spring on the opposite of an axle to that of the vehicle manufacturer
  • spacer blocks mounted above or below the coils spring or mounted between the top of the suspension strut and vehicle body.
  • extended or adjustable shackle plates on leaf springs.
Fitting tyres and rims with a larger diameter to those listed on the vehicle's tyre placard may also affect vehicle ride height.

It is acceptable provide that the overall diameter of the alternative rim/tyre combination is not greater that 15 mm over the largest combination or 15 mm smaller than the smallest combination specified on the vehicle's tyre placard.

In four wheel drive vehicles an increase in overall diameter of up to 50 mm is acceptable.

Unquote
Body lift with spacers is acceptable.
I guess that makes raising the trailer by shifting the axle below the leaf springs illegal.
And I guess things are not too much different interstate?
What I am not clear on is how this works with vehicles that were modified prior to latest regulations coming in? I guess the owners get caught, vehicle defected and drivers fined?
I can see why many (myself included) look for cheaper and easier to do options for a lift on their 4WD. But I do agree with points made above about doing your research and doing a lift correctly (not illegally - unless you want to be constantly concerned about the possibility of being caught and fined by authorities). On the other hand I can't help but wonder whether such regulations are all about safety or are tainted with just a little bit of revenue raising in mind? :) I guess I shouldn't be so cynical, so it is all about vehicle and road user safety.
I've found over the years that the ability to do the labour on a suspension lift yourself rather than pay for labour is a big savings on $2-3 grand suspension upgrade/lift quotes you may get from suspension shops. Shopping around for sales, business clearing old stock and/or haggling can save decent dollars on components as well. My suspension upgrade/lift cost me $977 (with a wheel alignment to come in due course). Although not top of the line in brands/components it will do for my purposes and it is legal. Includes BlueMax rear leaf springs, Gabriel Ultra Rear Gas Shocks, Anarchy rear springs poly bush kit, Dobinsons front coils with ARCHM foam cell shocks (purchased as assembled struts). Most components came with 3-year or 'lifetime' warranties.
You are lucky you don't have to worry about front coils so a modest lift (as others have said) will be a good deal cheaper for you.

Batts88

The QLD 2015 up dated body and suspension lift version explains you can do a combination of lifts or individual as long as you don't exceed 50mm so a 25mm body with 25mm suspension lift or just a 50mm suspension lift or just a 50mm body lift with no suspension lift are all legal in QLD and there are other states with the same laws.
Then on top of that you can increase overall tyre height by 50mm which equates to 25mm additional lift which complies with the legal max lift of a 4WD in QLD to not exceed 75mm over factory height.

jacnden

Maybe we should start a poll on who’s car is actually legal . I would guess a high percentage here would have something questionable.
While checking some of the mods mentioned here on google I noticed rock sliders are unroadworthy in some situations ?
How many here have gone over 50mm lift if you combine suspension and tyres?

LCV8VICTORIA

I bought cheap Efs and now it’s sagged bad front and rear wish I saved the extra and gone a better kit now lol new leafs and coils to come

Colly18

I bought cheap Efs and now it’s sagged bad front and rear wish I saved the extra and gone a better kit now lol new leafs and coils to come
I'm not sure spending more on reputable brands necessarily equates to getting a reliable product. I think it's hard to know what aftermarket brands to trust as bad reports on well respected brands still seem to crop up on the internet. I guess that is where having a trusted supplier and decent warranty comes into play(?) I hope you've challenged your supplier about the sagging EFS springs (?)
I've had King Springs front coils sag on a past vehicle but just couldn't be bothered going down the track of seeking replacements from the supplier, as I figured King Springs just didn't get the design/engineering right on that one; so I went with Pedders as replacements and they were perfect.
I've also heard tales (rare situations I'm sure) of Dobinson's springs sagging; but with the reputation of Dobinsons being so good, I went with them for the front coils on my Colorado. Time will tell on how they go.

CaptainBanana

Couldn't agree more having.