Suspect speeding fine!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR

rockydog

Hey everyone, hows it all going??
Sorry to put something un4x4 on here but i have a question!!!!
I just recieved a speeding fine, photo and all. But in the photo there is another car between my car and the camera, all you can see off my ute is the rear end. Is it worth contesting?? I was doing 88 in an 80 zone apparently, no demerits with a $75 fine. How can they prove it was me when theres another car between me and the camera, how do they know it wasnt them?? (i was in my hilux too, so its kinda 4x4 ;) ).
Im not being a tight ass, if i knew i was speeding at the time than i would cop the fine but its only 8km/h over with a sus photo and it will be my first offence which isnt bad since im 30!!!!
What do you all think?
Matt

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Write a polite letter to the traffic camera office or issuing authority asking the same questions and see what happens. The worst will be that the fine remains as is.

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Post the pic and let everyone debate it but blank out the rego numbers;) I reckon you've got a good point.

Grey Ghost

4x4 Earth Contributer
I heard that when in doubt they send fines to both parties in the hope that no one contests it, so contest it as they can't prove that it was you speeding without reasonable doubt.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
I agree with Davidman, also point out that you have been driving for 12-13 years and this is the first time you have been fined. There may be a lenience type clause in your state that can help out. I would
be interested to hear the response regarding the other vehicle in the pic too! Good luck.

junior613

4x4 Earth Contributer
Write a polite letter to the traffic camera office or issuing authority asking the same questions and see what happens. The worst will be that the fine remains as is.

I agree with Davidman, don't forget to mention that the other vehicle may have caused interference to the said speed camera. The worst is they will send the fine back with another payment date. In Vic if you haven't had a speeding fine for 3 years, you can write a letter in seeking a review, put in it that you admit doing the wrong thing etc and ask for a caution to be issued in this case.:D

Mrw82

that picture isn't definitave that you were speeding, they don't even have a clear shot of your number plate!!!!!!

Patriot

Administrator
Yeah mate,

You have got a lot of good reasons to send a letter in asking for a review. Be nice and state the facts and ask for their interpretation. Let us know how you go.

James

Johnnie5

well you need to first find out what type of camera it was and how it works

in nsw the fixed speed cams have sensors in the roads and the the camera has info on the pic stating the lane that was activated

oyamum

hey there mate the camera will also have a lane marker imbeded under the tar in each lane thats how they work out which vehicle tripped the flash.. looks like it was you sorry mate id still fight it as you mite be able to get out of it

Ruffy

I agree with Davidman, don't forget to mention that the other vehicle may have caused interference to the said speed camera. The worst is they will send the fine back with another payment date. In Vic if you haven't had a speeding fine for 3 years, you can write a letter in seeking a review, put in it that you admit doing the wrong thing etc and ask for a caution to be issued in this case.:D

I had a family member who worked for civil compliance vic and this is exactly true. If more than one car appears in the photo then both receive a fine.

I'd write a nice polite letter stating that you are concerned of the accuracy of said fine given the two vehicles in the pic and with your history being clean it was most likely it wasn't you.

Regardless of the dollars, they shouldn't be issuing fines on this basis.

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
hey there mate the camera will also have a lane marker imbeded under the tar in each lane thats how they work out which vehicle tripped the flash.. looks like it was you sorry mate id still fight it as you mite be able to get out of it

Tend to agree. The new fixed cameras have lane recognition, but I would still send a letter.

As Traveller mention, here in Vic if you have a clean driving record, (5 yrs if I remember rightly), & the speed is under 10km/1 demerit point chances of a waiver are very good. Not sure if the same applies in other states.

No harm in trying though.

Swaggie

Ive spoken to a couple of people lately that hav had fines but a great record driving..The fines were dismissed after a letter...

Its a shame the Taliban dont put there beliefs to good use and target mobile speed camera cars.....Whats the top speed of a Camel by the way....????.....

Goodluck Amigo

Last edited:

BUSHNUT

4x4 Earth Contributer
Wow ! That is iffy ! 10% of 80 = 88, right on the 10% margin - We are led to believe the Australian design rules specify a 10% variation and most manufacturers seem to make it 5 KM's lower anyway .

In Victoria, this is disregarded and we are only allowed a variance of 3 Kilometres an hour , the width of the average speedo needle, thanks to the Bracks ( Labour ) government of the day . Only $75 ? ,We would cop about $128 down here, I think it is for that .

Don't ever trust the overhead gantry speed indicators, most of the time they are inaccurate and certainly cannot be relied upon for checking speed .

The speed indicated on your vehicle can vary with the state of your tires - changing worn down to new rubber especially in a fourbie is quite dramatic - I generally check with Mr. Tom Tom , the speed indicated on the speedo versus the Tom Tom .

Cruise control is very debatable, although my wifes little blue sporty thing is very close to maintaining the set speed other cars we have had, still slowed up for the hills and gained going down .

The new BSHNUT D Max cruise control is very accurate strangely enough stays on exactly what you set it on .

A good rule of thumb is to set the cruise control a couple of K's under and it will save the angst when you get a ticket in the mail .

Like others have indicated write to them and see what happens .

Last edited:

logitech

Write a letter, I successfully argued that my speed camera fine of 114K's in a 100 zone was inaccurate as i was changing lanes away from the camera at the time, giving greater chance of error.

If you write your letter, stating the facts, and also find some information such as the type of camera is known to wrongly detect larger vehicles as speeding compared to small, you will have a great basis for them to drop the case.

Don't bother talking to them because every time i tried to explain it, they just told me i was in the wrong, including talking to the traffic Sergent of QLD.

I got alot of my information from the UK at the time.

Speed Cameras Information

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Wow ! That is iffy ! 10% of 80 = 88, right on the 10% margin - We are led to believe the Australian design rules specify a 10% variation and most manufacturers seem to make it 5 KM's lower anyway .

In Victoria, this is disregarded and we are only allowed a variance of 3 Kilometres an hour , the width of the average speedo needle, thanks to the Bracks ( Labour ) government of the day . Only $75 ? ,We would cop about $128 down here, I think it is for that .

Don't ever trust the overhead gantry speed indicators, most of the time they are inaccurate and certainly cannot be relied upon for checking speed .

Like others have indicated write to them and see what happens .

This could an interesting discussion around the campfire at Skipworth Bushnut...:D

Interesting comments re; the gantry speed indicators. Cant say the same for all of them in Vic, but the one on the Hume at Beveridge is almost 'spot on' according to my GPS.

Qute

ADR's USED to have a 10% error margin for Speedometers. It was changed in the early naughties to "The speedometer MUST not under-report the vehicle's speed". In other words, it can read 100 km/h when you're really doing 80 but cannot read 100 km/h when you're doing 101...

3 KM/H allowance in Vic? Lucky, lucky basturds! We get 2 KM/H in WA...

Ruffy

ADR's USED to have a 10% error margin for Speedometers. It was changed in the early naughties to "The speedometer MUST not under-report the vehicle's speed". In other words, it can read 100 km/h when you're really doing 80 but cannot read 100 km/h when you're doing 101...

3 KM/H allowance in Vic? Lucky, lucky basturds! We get 2 KM/H in WA...
And you're only allowed to tow at 100km/h in 110 zones. (I learnt the hard way!)