Surely someone has had a Suby

JP147

It's part time 4WD, they didn't really go to AWD until the Liberty apart from some rare factory options.
The Weldy is the best mod for these cars as it lets them keep up with the real 4WDs with a locker and go further than those with open diffs, apart from where you need very low gears or a large breakover angle.
It's also not very heavy duty since it's just an 80s car with 4WD and low range added.
I plan to upgrade to a Land Cruiser soon, but the Subaru has been a lot of fun and it's what really got me into 4WDing.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Surely someone has had or has a brumby, L series, or forester they take off the black top.
Not me, and not off the black top in the way you were probably meaning, but Jen's first car was a Brumby.
image.jpeg

She only had it for a year or so, because it wasn't really suited to the long kilometers we were always doing. Couldn't fault it on the farm though, as it was a great little work horse. It was even small and nimble enough to get down the tracks on her parents piggery that were made for the quad bike.

Because I enjoy sharing, here's one of my favorite subi moments.
The time it won a 4x4 trophy.

We used to go to a lot of local shows, and although we didn't really take them too seriously, we would enter the ute/car comps just to get parking and camping inside the grounds (Another advantage to parking inside the grounds, was that you could smuggle your in your Eski/fridge full of drinky poos).;)
Usually I'd just enter the Holden category, and Jen would just tick the "other makes" box. We knew we wouldn't win anything, but didn't care.
While registering at one show, I looked around at the other vehicles entered, and noticed their were no four wheel drives to be seen. So for a laugh, I told Jen to "tick the 4x4 box".
By the time registrations closed, we noticed a couple of kitted out dual cabs, and knew one of them would take the prize. Oh well, it was worth a try.
Turns out there was just the two of them, and they were handing out prizes for first, second, and third.
When they were handing out the prizes, we just happened to be standing next to the two fellas that owned the dual cabs. They were joking amongst themselves about which of them would get the third place trophy. As far as they were concerned, there were only two 4x4 at the show. When they called out Jen's name they both looked a little confused. Then one of them laughs and says, "Oh yeah, I did see a subi."
The other fellow just said, "I didn't even know they were four wheel drive", and then they both congratulated her.

The trophy sits proudly on a shelf in our library to this day.

cam04

My wife's last 'sporty' sube (Tribeca now which doesn't deserve a photo haha). It put down just shy of 200 kw with not many mods. We drove it into Harry's Hut on the Noosa river once. The bloke in the Arkarna Troopy full of tourists telling them they were in the outback was not too impressed.

Attachments

cam04

Not me, and not off the black top in the way you were probably meaning, but Jen's first car was a Brumby.
View attachment 43690
She only had it for a year or so, because it wasn't really suited to the long kilometers we were always doing. Couldn't fault it on the farm though, as it was a great little work horse. It was even small and nimble enough to get down the tracks on her parents piggery that were made for the quad bike.

Because I enjoy sharing, here's one of my favorite subi moments.
The time it won a 4x4 trophy.

We used to go to a lot of local shows, and although we didn't really take them too seriously, we would enter the ute/car comps just to get parking and camping inside the grounds (Another advantage to parking inside the grounds, was that you could smuggle your in your Eski/fridge full of drinky poos).;)
Usually I'd just enter the Holden category, and Jen would just tick the "other makes" box. We knew we wouldn't win anything, but didn't care.
While registering at one show, I looked around at the other vehicles entered, and noticed their were no four wheel drives to be seen. So for a laugh, I told Jen to "tick the 4x4 box".
By the time registrations closed, we noticed a couple of kitted out dual cabs, and knew one of them would take the prize. Oh well, it was worth a try.
Turns out there was just the two of them, and they were handing out prizes for first, second, and third.
When they were handing out the prizes, we just happened to be standing next to the two fellas that owned the dual cabs. They were joking amongst themselves about which of them would get the third place trophy. As far as they were concerned, there were only two 4x4 at the show. When they called out Jen's name they both looked a little confused. Then one of them laughs and says, "Oh yeah, I did see a subi."
The other fellow just said, "I didn't even know they were four wheel drive", and then they both congratulated her.

The trophy sits proudly on a shelf in our library to this day.
Is that the old AGQuip special pin striping? My uncle had one - wore a roo through the windscreen and pranged it. I used to lust after that little ute.
I reckon Subaru would kill a pig if they released a little forester/imprezza based ute.

Last edited:

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Is that the old AGQuip special pin striping?
I have no idea. I've never been much of a Subaru person.
Jen wanted all the pinstripes/decals removed, but I stopped after getting the Bs off (RUMBY)'.
It's name was Lillian. Lil for short. Because it was Jen's "Lil" ute.:p

muc the truck

Brother had the old round model , the cv boots split . the sand got in fused them . The engine lost so much power to the extent you could no longer drive it . It would stall. He fitted a spare motor (other one rusted out) , it stalled due to the cv joints (cv joints were too dear and it was full of rust . Ended up deciding to blow it up . Ran it on paint thinners full rpm, no oil or water and it never tossed a rod . we got impatient so tossed a few ball bearings and some sand down the carby , it slowed down , smoked but would not quit. It was now dark , flames coming out of exhaust , now sparks , we ran completely out of thinners , fuel and now onto dirty used gunwash via the dizzy vac line (so it had paint in it but solids had settled) and my mower fuel in the tank still sparked out the exhausted caught fire to my backyard . Put the fire out . Next day it started first turn of the key and idled . revved it some more and its death was so boring . it just come to a slow stop. did the same to a sigma and it lasted 1-2 minutes and put a rod though the starter motor I know dam well if you busted a radiator in the desert we could have driven out with no water just along as the cv boots were good.

Oh, Never weld a diff, always fill them with lead instead . Google the videos. The reason why is the axles splines don't get stuffed up when the side gears get welded up on a slant . The lead locks the diff and ensures the splines are looked after, heat never affects the hardening of the side gears .

Last edited:

Ser Egg

Ive had my SG forester for a year now. 2inch lift, snorkel, 215/65/r16 KO2. Subaxtreme bullbar. 2x 7" Rallye 4000 spotties. Rola titan mk2 roof tray.