Change background image

Surely someone has had a Suby

Discussion in 'Subaru' started by 03hilux, Jul 7, 2015.

1. 03hilux

03hilux 4x4 Earth Contributer

Surely someone has had or has a brumby, L series, or forester they take off the black top.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
    80lover96gxl likes this.
  2. Trophy truck 481

Trophy truck 481 Active Member

i have a car just like that, same color and all
    just missing the big wheels & flares !!

3. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

That looks pritty cool actually.

4. havabigjuan

havabigjuan New Member

took our "03 outback on a few beaches in its time, actually miss that wagon

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Did 3 outback trips in the SG Forester. Manual, low ratio, LSD. It was a pretty capable wagon.

6. frosty

frosty Well-Known Member

Harold Scrubby drives a Subaru if I remember correctly.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There's a forum devoted to off-road Subies. Of course.
    Lotta guys there do lifts.
    I put on a decent alloy bash plate and good tyres, and a high nudge bar after a roo encounter. That was all. Rampover clearance on mine was 20 cm, and it's 22 on later models.

8. rob_macca67

rob_macca67 Well-Known Member

Yeah, years ago I ended up buying an Subaru "L" series Touring Wagon. Great little car and did take it off road a few times (LCMP; Lervuka) and then did a 5 day central QLD touring trip in it. Had it setup to sleep in but had to leave the rear up to make it long enough....
    The car way lifted and had 14" MT's on it, but in the end it just didn't suit the direction I wanted to go..... Sold it for an 80's

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great cars for travelling to the snow. Very nimble. Never had to fit chains to mine in 6 years of a lot of alpine driving. Though once I should've to be safe. Hotham!

10. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

I've owned 2 Liberty wagons. The first with the electronic height adjustment. Did some fun east coast trips in both of those. First one had rust, a check engine light that was almost always on, a power steering fluid leak and the electronic suspension eventually failed at around 240,000km but it still ran. Went everywhere and never once actually broke down.

underdog likes this.
  11. ferg66

ferg66 New Member

Bought a Forester 2 months ago - 2.5. Planing on going up the snow some time before the end of winter. Mt Maverick is supposed to be OK,been offroad a few times now and Im impressed with its capability.

12. Nexus

Nexus New Member

I have a 2014 Forester XT.
    Been through Jervis Bay, Newnes and Sunny Corner state forests.
    Got it into some places it probably shouldn't of been, but emerged with no damage and a sudden interest in buying a proper 4wd.
    Looking at getting a Patrol in the next few months now.
    The Forester is surprising capable, but its too pretty to keep taking bush.

13. I baught a standard 1990 Brumby for my brother and to its credit hasnt missed a beat in the last 7 years. I have done a few trips in it along Stockton Beach and Sand Bar.I got stuck a few tines and listenning to the engine wind out to unreasonable levels. Poor car i baught a Hilux 12 month ago when I see the Brumby it looks happier. Keeping it out of the sand will add alot more years to the old girl

14. Thats what Im talking about parked out of all the smush stop in that stuff and the only way out is backward

15. Subytim

Subytim New Member

A couple shots of my L series in Ripley.

Attached Files:

RBJET, 03hilux and tankbloke like this.
  16. Take mine out all the time and go touring occasionally. Has been all over south west WA, around Perths surrounding areas (pines, mundaring), been to Newnes in NSW, been and done Hervey bay bush and Fraser island. Hasnt failed me once and i love keeping up and bettering "proper 4wds" :)

17. JP147

JP147 Member

Mine goes off the balcktop sometimes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 4runnerSteve

4runnerSteve Well-Known Member

Mud tyres on a suby, nice. Are there any lockers in that thing? dose she have low range?

19. JP147

JP147 Member

It's got low range and a welded rear diff, which really helps out since it likes to lift wheels. The mud tyres have been great, loads of traction.

underdog likes this.