Strzelecki + possibly Birdsville Tracks

Gidgee

As time is ticking away my main plan of doing Kalgoorlie + GCR is looking less likely, especially with the latest spike in Vic possibly keeping borders closed. My backup plan is the Strzelecki Track (from Adelaide), with a possible return along the Birdsville Track (if Qld plays ball) - otherwise maybe a visit to Cameron Corner, though not researched that yet.

I'm looking for any tips people are willing to share. Last 3 weeks of August is the plan, and is assuming the weather also plays nice as I know the track can get really bad after rain.

Most suggestions say to do it over 2 days at least, but I'd like to take my time if there are any interesting side trips, so feel free to throw ideas at me. Mostly interested in what's north of Arkaroola at this point.

cam04

Montecollina Bore is ok for a lunch stop. Otherwise she’s flat as a shitcarter’s hat and nothing living apart from wild dogs at the top end of the Strez. I have done Fort Gray (Qld) - Farina in a day towing a trailer and having a sausage sizzle at the Bore. Qld today has just opened to all states except Victorians.
The strez gets closed very early these days if rain is forecast.
902475F9-6ADF-4517-8786-69CA22B315E6.jpeg

Last edited:

Albynsw

You need to experience it for sure but the Strez is not that interesting compared to the other two. You have plenty of time allocated so do Cameron’s, Innamincka, the dig tree etc Birdsville track, Mungarannie, Marree. Go for a run up the Oodnadatta even if you have to backtrack or slip off down the Bore track and return that way. Easy to go to Coober Pedy as well whilst in the area
Lots of options, don’t plan it too much just start poking around and enjoy the freedom