Strip LEDs on awning

Blue_haired_man

Hi folks
I haven't found anything on the searches (probably searching the wrong phrases.)

But has anyone attached flexible strip LEDs to their awnings, either permanently or removable? I've thought of velcro glued (seam grip or something similar, but am not sure how long this will hold) or stitched to the underside of the canvas, or adhesive to glue the lights on permanently? Just wondering what others have done?

Cheers Leo

mauriceb

I used automotive or gutter silicon on the aluminium parts of awning, wipe first with metho . easy to remove if required Also a cheap connector is to use a male RCA plug on end of led and then a Cig lead with female RCA if you dont want wire permanent . I prefer to buy the w/proof 5m rolls on ebay and cut /solder to length

Blue_haired_man

I used automotive or gutter silicon on the aluminium parts of awning, wipe first with metho . easy to remove if required Also a cheap connector is to use a male RCA plug on end of led and then a Cig lead with female RCA if you dont want wire permanent . I prefer to buy the w/proof 5m rolls on ebay and cut /solder to length

Do you get enough light thrown down?
I've already grabbed a roll of eBay, can't go wrong for the price. And grabbed a few plug/sockets from jaycar so the cable is removable, with the savings I made on the lights compared to from a 4x4 store.

Cheers Leo

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Use 3M double sided tape - sticks well

and with the rest of the roll - Cut a couple of 1 mt lengths , wire them up to 5-6 mt ( or more) lengths of cable with a plug , stick to an aluminium strip , slide them into a piece of clear plasitic tubing, seal each end with silicon with a wire hook in one end and hang from trees, tent poles etc

Plug tube lights etc - less than $10 per unit

Eightyeight

I've run a 300mm strip (cut and shut to suit) and it sits in the aluminium rail permanently wired.

Throws more than enough light outwards, and reflected from underside of awning. No dramas used for eating and sitting as it's not too long and bright.

Checkout my ride in My Colorado build Thread!!!

03GV

I fitted a roll of 3m sticky backed strip on both sides of my awning, have a remote dimmer with on/off . Best thing since sliced bread. Have had this awning on two cars now, and the strips still work perfectly.

smitty_r51

Mine kept peeling off...And if i put the mosquito net on the lights were blocked

So i have ran mine down the inside of plastic channel with a bungee hook on each end so i can hook it where i need it inside it out... Then each length has a deans plug on it so i can attach them together or run them individually

red99td5

I saw the other day at roof rack City rydalmere roughly 60cm strips of LEDs sitting in a hard plastic enclosure with magnets in each end. On top of the canvas awning was a washer or similar.
I thought it was such a simple way to add led lights to an area.

Aaron

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
I saw the other day at roof rack City rydalmere roughly 60cm strips of LEDs sitting in a hard plastic enclosure with magnets in each end. On top of the canvas awning was a washer or similar.

Aaron

Now that is an Enook idea :)

80lover96gxl

A mate is making magnetic strip led light strips that can be places anywhere on the vehicle thats metal, they also come with velcro ties so can be fixed to awning poles or alloy roof racks.
Also come with a dimmer and strobe functions.

The kit comes with two 600mm magnetic strips,, interconnecting cables, dimmer and velcro ties. All stored neatly in a pvc tube capped each end. He's now patented the idea,, got a website going and is starting to manufacture kits on a regular basis.

Great idea .

Luke james

Led strip lights are a really useful thing for me and when I get a camper trailer I will have them because I'm a keen fisherman and it would be useful for tie-ing rigs

Albynsw

Just a tip I have found from using strip leds
I have cool white and warm white ones and the warm white ones attract hardly any bugs whereas the cool white ones were swarming with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fazz

Just a tip I have found from using strip leds
I have cool white and warm white ones and the warm white ones attract hardly any bugs whereas the cool white ones were swarming with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thanks for that champ!

It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll

Chatty

Aaron

I have these - four strips with dimmers and enough cable, Y pieces and joiners to keep you wondering for hours if you've made the optimum arrangement, or maybe you should just change that connector there, or if you put another dimmer in, you can dim that light there...

I went to Bunnings and got timber joiners - flat pieces of galvanised steel (with screw holes in them) which are ideal for the magnets to grip onto with the light underneath the awning and the strip on top.

I find they're great because I can move them around, install one in the tent and one in the kitchen and so on.
You just have to remind your helpful friends to make sure they grab the metal strips (or washers) when they help you pack up - have lost a few already through helpful friends just pulling the lights down...