Strike in car phone gear!

Croozer

Hey everyone Was at the 4x4show and the company Strike is looking to get in to the 4x4 market. They have been with fleet companies and industry for a while. Its great gear! I think a couple on here use the stuff but not a lot at present. If we get a few that are keen we might be able to ask for a 4x4earth group discount code.
They do powered phone and iPad mounts and aerial witch gives you better reception further out and mount the device with a huge number of accessories and mounts. The docks can take different types of cases that stay on the phone witch will make it so much easier to just grab your phone when you are on the go. They have Bluetooth capability as well.
Check out the range here

http://www.strike.com.au/

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Think on the 4wd show thread (?) there was some neg experiences posted.
Might be less reliable on rougher track type of work off-roaders do ?

Chatty

I was put off by the constant "Has to be installed by a professional" spiel - having someone install what is already a very expensive tablet or phone holder just makes these ridiculously expensive.
From their marketing information it's pretty obvious they are aiming at the fleet/commercial/business market.
Their DIY tablet holder at $219 and their DIY phone holder at $159 had no significant advantages over the $35 specials I have from Jaycar...

Croozer

Think on the 4wd show thread (?) there was some neg experiences posted.
Might be less reliable on rougher track type of work off-roaders do ?
Was heaps of positive feed back to me. Even spoke to some industry guys that are now running the systems with great success. Has to pretty stable they use them in industry for machinery

Croozer

I was put off by the constant "Has to be installed by a professional" spiel - having someone install what is already a very expensive tablet or phone holder just makes these ridiculously expensive.
From their marketing information it's pretty obvious they are aiming at the fleet/commercial/business market.
Their DIY tablet holder at $219 and their DIY phone holder at $159 had no significant advantages over the $35 specials I have from Jaycar...
Miles better set up than the 35 dollar cheap ass ones I have used in the past. They have been around in the industry and commercial fleet area for a while and are looking to get involved in our market. Any feed back we can give likes and don't like we can pass on to the guys that design the gear.
And the part has to be professionally installed! :confused: They have to do that on the website to deal with the num-nuts that we all have to deal with from a day to day basis

mac_man_luke

I had one with my previous iPhone 5 and i found the increase in mobile reception marginal at best combined with an RFI 7db antenna.

Was a good solid mount when the mount was swapped to a ram ball mount.

Charging died on mine after about 6months and they were near impossible to deal with for a warranty claim

If i ever go for another antenna cradle it will be universal as they are too expensive to replace every 2 years.

Chatty

Miles better set up than the 35 dollar cheap ass ones I have used in the past.
I have had expensive mounts (not these ones admittedly) before and have them fail. Have had the cheap mounts and have them fail too. From my perspective they seem to each last about as long as each other, so I just can't see the point in paying five to ten times as much for the expensive mounts, to have them fail anyway. That's my opinion - I know others will swear that I'm totally wrong.
They have been around in the industry and commercial fleet area for a while and are looking to get involved in our market. Any feed back we can give likes and don't like we can pass on to the guys that design the gear.
Yes, their pricing reflects their concentration on the commercial/fleet/industry segments - they may need to re-thing pricing if they want to break into the 4WD segment.
Ok, my don't like is that they seem very expensive for what they are, and I have no desire or need for a mount with antenna hook-up capability.
The other thing is that I have been caught before paying big bucks for something to find that it doesn't fit - if I've paid out $35, who cares? If I've paid out $200+ I would be royally ticked off.
And the part has to be professionally installed! :confused: They have to do that on the website to deal with the num-nuts that we all have to deal with from a day to day basis
It's amazing how GME and everybody else can market an RF device without saying it has to be professionally installed, so why do this mob need to labour the point for their RF device?

With regards to the antenna hook up capability- for me I just can't see the point. I know others here will argue about the much better reception they get in the bush, but for me I get all the reception I need with just the basic phone or tablet. For those instances where the S6 doesn't work. it's time to switch the sat phone on. Plus, I don't really have anywhere to mount another antenna (two if I want to hook up the phone and tablet) on the Paj.
Not trying to be negative, but for me these are simply not worth the expense. At half to a third the price I might consider them.

mac_man_luke

If you want a solid mount thats not too expensive get a ram mount - they are solid as and will last forever.
All steel or aluminium, plenty of different fittings for anything you can think of and super strong suction cups if thats the route you go.

Croozer

I talked to the guys and want your opinions not all the talk about this and that and why it doesn't work. These guys would like to help the 4x4 industry. Feed back is great. Lets make some suggestions on how these guys can improve on the product to help. I know price point is always a concern but isn't that with everything these days. I for one have a few ideas. I wont run a ram mount as I want full connection to power and antenna and not fumble with leads and sockets that make my driving experience like flying a 747. I have enough to worry about out on the tracks.

mac_man_luke

I talked to the guys and want your opinions not all the talk about this and that and why it doesn't work. These guys would like to help the 4x4 industry. Feed back is great. Lets make some suggestions on how these guys can improve on the product to help. I know price point is always a concern but isn't that with everything these days. I for one have a few ideas. I wont run a ram mount as I want full connection to power and antenna and not fumble with leads and sockets that make my driving experience like flying a 747. I have enough to worry about out on the tracks.

I stuck my strike cradle on a ram arm as the included suction mount was a bit average and didnt want to drill holes for the permanent mount.

I think its a good idea they just need to improve the antenna function and maybe make it some how upgradable.

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Currently running the Strike Alpha Cradle for the I phone 5 with their 7db bull bar mounted antenna. Easy enough to put in and seems stable enough. Only had it in for about a week so far, will be good to see how it performs reception wise (or increased reception) out in the bush. Does okay around the suburbs.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've had a strike universal cradle for yonks.
It's screwed to my dash and has the patch lead.
I don't like nfc chip in it. Had to turn it off on my phone or it tried to load the strike software.

peterfermtech

I've had the strike with Qi charger connected to a RFI cd2195 for about 5 months now. I'm running a samsung S5 with an otter defender case. The charging is great and works a lot better than any of the desktop Qi chargers that I've tried which all seem to struggle with the otter case. Using a couple of network apps it would seem that I get an improvement of about 3 db in signal strength which is about all I was expecting. The price is expensive but when I think back a couple of years ago to what I was paying for Nokia and other oem car kits it doesn't seem so bad. The only comment is that they do not seem solidly constructed so I doubt they would handle extended corrugations with a heavy/hard ute suspension but then again nor does my back.

I bought the professional install kit but temporarily(5months so far) connected it up to a cig micro usb charger.

regards

vk1dx

make it so much easier to just grab your phone when you are on the go.
This says a lot. "grab it when on the go". Don't think so mate.

Stick the damn phone in the console or in the glove box and get a hands free or blue tooth device. Give these mounts a miss. Put it well out of temptations way. Just use the bluetooth option.

Much safer than grabbing it when on the go. And legal.

Have a a go at me if you wish but I always enjoy hitting the horns when next to someone who is on the phone when "on the go".

Phil