Stop Smoking Its Killing You

stevemc181

how much you guys spend on booze ? lost more family and friends due to booze than smokes, sorry but its life and your not getting out of it alive no matter what you do. if you enjoy it , do it, who am I to get on my soap box and preach how you should live ! all things in moderation !

I don't spend much on booze at all, last drink I had was Xmas day. Not that I don't enjoy a drink, just don't feel like it often theses days. My Dad died at 61 from smoking related cancer, I'd prefer not to go to such an early grave, considering it's only 7 years away for me. Mainly I was sick of the constant coughing and wheezing that comes with smoking 40 a day for near on 40 years. The dreaded thought of Chronic Emphysema is always in the back of your mind when your struggling to catch your breath going up a flight of stairs. Only took a few days off the cigs to stop coughing and the breathing is improving all the time. I could easily pick up a smoke now and be straight back into it, but the cost of it and the health related issues are simply ridiculous and make me think twice.

Everyone may have to die sometime, but I'd prefer not to do it while strapped to an oxygen tank for years trying to get a decent breath in while waiting for the grim reaper.

stevemc181

you do that with anything booze ,cigs, timtam's and your in trouble, funny how people blame just the cigs, not their self control.

Are you for real? I'm going to mark you down as just another troll fishing for bites. Good luck and I'm sure if you are a smoker you'll be the one who beats the odds and doesn't die from it.

ian.c

Hey guys, the title of this thread might be "in your face" @muc the truck started it as a warning after his father in law passed away from cancer, I remember reading it at a time I was contemplating giving if up, diehard smokers might feel insulted by the title , I probably would have said stick it it's my choice years ago, it's a good thread for those that have given up or want to, I searched and found it when I finally kicked the habit thanked Muc and have returned from time to time,
Everybody has a right to do as they please , smoker or non smoker, i have my reasons why I gave up even though I actually enjoyed it, some people have their reasons to argue why they continue, there is no right or wrong, as a mark of respect To the people mentioned here who have passed away I don't think we should argue to the point of insults here, of course that's my opinion and just thought I'd express it, cheers guys, and I'm still not smoking since september, I'm sure my dear father rest his soul is watching over me and helping fight the urge with massive willpower even I don't understand.
All the best , Ian.c

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
My Dad was a heavy smoker and told everyone that smoking kills germs????
Had a heart attack in his early sixties. Doc said give up the smokes. He said that he had given up sex and drinking, so if he gave up smokes he might as well be dead. So he kept smoking until he died at seventy nine. He died from bowel cancer???
Not sure if I posted this before, however dementia is another story. Still, I suppose I get to met a lot of people.o_O.

MyCrazy80

My Dad was a heavy smoker and told everyone that smoking kills germs????
Had a heart attack in his early sixties. Doc said give up the smokes. He said that he had given up sex and drinking, so if he gave up smokes he might as well be dead. So he kept smoking until he died at seventy nine. He died from bowel cancer???
Not sure if I posted this before, however dementia is another story. Still, I suppose I get to met a lot of people.o_O.
My dad smoked a 50g pouch of white ox every second day!!! For 30 or so years but he died of bowl cancer, my grandfather took up smoking when he retired and died from lung cancer 10 years later.
Edit, just been told it was 16 years later, my bad.

Last edited:

ian.c

7 months since I quit so that's about $4900 that I haven't spent on smokes :)
Well done mate, I've just hit the 5 month point, got through the festive season, relationship break up and being separated from my son so I think I've got it beaten for sure now, that's enough tests .........................please no more.

MyCrazy80

Well done mate, I've just hit the 5 month point, got through the festive season, relationship break up and being separated from my son so I think I've got it beaten for sure now, that's enough tests .........................please no more.
Thanks mate! If your not smoking after all that I think its safe to say you kicked its arse!
All the best and I hope things turn around for you and everything turns out for the best! Good luck mate and keep staying strong!

Buxter

We just ha the most miserable xmas . My father inlaw at 67 years of age 4 months ago was lifting 6mtr lenths of 250x50 f14 hardwood and built a two storey house frame , covered it in hardwood chamfer boards standing on 6mtr tall trestles on painters planks .

Now due the the sudden attack of small cell lung cancer he is bed ridden and in nappies (completely incontinent ) with a catheter unlikely to see out this month . He still has his pride considering there are 4 tumours in his brain 2 on one lung but he has to live his last days like he arrived in this world . In a padded cot and nappies . You may think I am ramping this up but I am not . smoking is evil . His death I wish on no man.

he thought it would never get him as he led a healthy fit life style being a hands on tools licenced builder . He was sadly very wrong .

Seriously pull the fag out of your mouth and toss it out . My father in law is less than 50 kilos his calf muscles once like a footy player now nothing and was 85 kilo just 4 months ago able to lift 100kilo on his own . 4 months he has lost 35 kilo of muscle tone . He cant talk or feed him self . He has been spoon fed for the last moth . All you smokers need to know this . its your future.

Sorry to hear that !
Thoughts are with you

Spooner

7 months since I quit so that's about $4900 that I haven't spent on smokes :)
Thats great mate .
I need help to quit and have gone to Rollies as a start to cut costs.
I always said that i would stop when they hit $20 a packet and now they are $30.
I worked out that I spend (truthfully) around $250 a week now just on smokes , A pack of 25's a day and add a extra for the weekend when Im sipping some cold beer cans.
Has anyone tried those E Cigarettes ?
I am highly addicted to smoking , especially at work , trying to break the cycle.
I have had numerous failed attempts over the years with patches and gum .
The gum I eat like lollies cause I need the instant hit what doesn't come straight away , then you feel sick for obvious reasons.

BIGCOL

However it turns out Rick, I hope you are successful in what you decide to do. No doubt it will be hard but it is possible, and the benefits will be great, have you tried hypnotherapy? What ever you try good luck with your endeavours mate.

Regards Col.

poverty rider

Thats great mate .

Has anyone tried those E Cigarettes ?
I used the e-smokes to kick the habit. It's called "Vaping" and i was getting nicotine juice overseas reducing the nicotine content with each batch. I haven't had a smoke since I began to vape and I gave the vaping away within 6 months.

To date I haven't had a cigarette in 16 months. Still get the odd craving but they don't last long.

Bomber2012

I was talking to a bloke recently who said the same about e cigarettes , said once he started on the e cigs he never went back to the ciggies and only smoked the e cigs for a few months before quitting . what sort of vap were you smoking poverty rider ?

stevemc181

I was an E-cig vaper for 18 months, then got on the piss one day and started back on the rollies. I was forever puffing on the e-cig and felt like a bit of a knob to be honest. That was a couple of years ago, I've now been off the smokes totally for 20 weeks today and have saved $3600, and not smoked 4617 cigarettes.

poverty rider

I was talking to a bloke recently who said the same about e cigarettes , said once he started on the e cigs he never went back to the ciggies and only smoked the e cigs for a few months before quitting . what sort of vap were you smoking poverty rider ?
i went with a starter kit (Aspire) that i purchased online from a vendor in Sydney for around $100. My juice was a tobacco flavour but nicotine juices aren't available in Australia. Next, I progressed onto a straight to lung vape called "Cool Fire IV". There are literally hundreds of options to choose from.

The stats say that vaping is 85% cheaper and 95% less harmful than cigarettes. I can tell you it is definitely cheaper and after a couple of days my breathing improved.

You may choose the Vape path or not, that is the way I went and it worked for me