Stockton Now has gates

prawns

From the sounds of it the Ranger has been getting lots of phone calls about it

I was about to get the quick answer of "its for a 4 week temporary closure to effect upgrades" but I mentioned I would put it online and it might help stop some of the calls (he then elaborated quite a bit with the planned works - I probably have forgotten some of the stuff he mentioned but it sounds like a big job)

I think he would appreciate if people could spread the word - so he doesnt have to field so many calls :D

I will be interested to check out the Fern Bay entry as well (didnt know there was one there getting sorted/upgraded hahahha)

Last edited:

Toddyh

From the sounds of it the Ranger has been getting lots of phone calls about it

Maybe if he put up a sign explaining what was happening he wouldn't get so many calls..... or is that just too logical for NPWS?

underdog

Maybe if he put up a sign explaining what was happening he wouldn't get so many calls..... or is that just too logical for NPWS?

Haaaaa. I think the "how many idiots does it take to change a light bulb" question is a great reference when talking about any kind of council body/govt signage. Good luck with that though ;)

prawns

Apparently it is :D

I also suggested he put it on the website - Great idea! was the reply and I actually think he is going to chase that up (told him if it was on the website I wouldnt be ringing :D )

PS - I rang the local number for National Parks and they had no idea what was going on at stockton and were actually pumping me for information so they were informed about the work happening to help other phone callers....crazy

He then put me through to a ranger when I said "well its you doing the work and its pretty bad form when you have no idea what your doing"

Last edited:

03hilux

Here is a reply to an email I sent last night.
I will also put up a new thread just for easy finding for all.

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, that Is correct, a gate was installed yesterday. The Lavis Lane 4WD Access Track will be upgraded next year so we installed the gates in preparation for this work as the access track will be closed during the construction. The gate is not closed and you can still access the beach from the Lavis Lane 4WD Access Track.

As for camping on Stockton Beach WCL, it is still closed. The re-introduction of camping needs to occur in a way that ensures the frontal dune, beach vegetation and Aboriginal sites are not damaged by vehicles. This poses a significant management challenge, and will be addressed in the forthcoming draft plan of management, which is expected to be on exhibition later this year for at least 90 days. During which time everyone with an interest in the management of the WCL at Stockton is encouraged to read it and provide a submission. Your details have been recorded, and will be used to notify you once the draft plan is placed on public exhibition.

I hope this clears things up. If you have any other questions, please feel free to send another email.

Kind Regards,

Worimi Conservation Lands
Coastal/Lower North Coast - Hunter Coast Area
National Parks & Wildlife Services
Office of Environment & Heritage
Department of Premier & Cabinet
Locked Bag 99 Nelson Bay
Nelson Bay NSW 2315
E: Worimi.CL@environment.nsw.gov.au

03hilux

I asked about any alternatives? he said they are hoping that the new Stockton Entrance at Fern Bay will be up and running by the time they temporarily close the Lavis Lane entry to take up the trafffic coming from that direction

That's one of the old entrances that was closed years ago.
From memory its almost a straight line drive to the Sygna.

prawns

That's one of the old entrances that was closed years ago.
From memory its almost a straight line drive to the Sygna.

Ahhh ok, Ive never seen that one before. Sounds like its going to be upgraded for future use though from what the ranger said (it will definatly reopen after upgrades to it - sounds like a good result for people coming from newcastle way :) )

03hilux

Sure does. Its good to see the money raised being used the way its intended.
I will definitely be viewing the draft management plan when released.
Hopefully its favourable for the Worimi and the beach users such as ourselves.

Hendo75

Great update, I ventured up to Stockton today, and i spoke to the workers on-site and they pretty much said everything that has been stated above.

All other points of entry will remain open, Stockton Foreshore Entry, Fern Bay and Anna Bay.

From what the construction workers said, the construction was not going to be done till at least April- June 2014.

Thanks all for covering this issue, ill keep an eye out for the draft management plan and will advise when it becomes available.

Prawns - Sorry i didn't get to catch up with you yesterday, but looks like you had fun anyway. The fish were biting today near what i assume is the "Worimi" building further up the beach towards Anna Bay.

Regards

Hendo75

prawns

Thanks for asking around as well mate - I kept my eye out for your paj while I was out there as well just incase you managed to swing in :D

I had a great day - its the first time I took the whole family out there together (and the first time my son has ever been out there)

Reckon I might try fishing up closer to the Anna Bay entry next time - Bit of a change of scenery anyway and the sands much easier to drive on as well :) hahahaha

Hendo75

Thanks for asking around as well mate - I kept my eye out for your paj while I was out there as well just incase you managed to swing in :D

I had a great day - its the first time I took the whole family out there together (and the first time my son has ever been out there)

Reckon I might try fishing up closer to the Anna Bay entry next time - Bit of a change of scenery anyway and the sands much easier to drive on as well :) hahahaha

We are heading up to Nelson Bay to go Whale Watching on Saturday morning, we are then going to return Via Stockton beach, I am hoping to convince the wife, that we should throw the rods and - all the other gear in and make a decent day of it ;), otherwise we will be going back out there on Sunday Morning:D:D:D (depending on tides), for most of the day. The wife wants to fish:confused: and i want to drive :eek:- great combination.

And the kids - well they will come as long as there is 3g coverage they will survive :D:D:D

Hendo75

prawns

........The wife wants to fish:confused: and i want to drive :eek:- great combination.

And the kids - well they will come as long as there is 3g coverage they will survive :D:D:D

Hendo75

Mate you have it made!!

Drop her off somewhere to catch your dinner, while you have fun driving around :D

Of course you better mention the old rule of "you caught it you prep it" to your wife first (and before you ask, no that doesnt really work :D)

I think my wife is like yours - not so much on the driving around but likes the fishing - she refuses to scale or gut a fish but she likes catching them lols

prawns

My videos gone a little viral it seems - Bit wierd seeing it on a 4wd action thingy :D

[YOUTUBE]Feli4LHfWvo[/YOUTUBE]

Included it here to keep it all together I guess (should of thought of that before lols)

prawns

nice winch or set of muddies would be niceor a pair of maxtrax or some spotties, hmmm, pull up a chair, this could take a while :D

prawns

You forgot the complete camper conversion:D

Hell yeah! one of those will do please hahahhahaha

Ive actually got the Paj loaded right up already for my next camping trip - problem is theres fires all over the place including in the State Forest we had planned on camping in - Not sure what we are doing now might have to delay or find another spot