Change background image

Stockton/blacksmiths camping

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by Trav27, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Trav27

Trav27 New Member

hey guys. New on here.
    We where planning on heading up to blacksmiths this arvo to camp. Although after reading how soft the sand can be, I’m thinking my inexperience May land me in trouble.

Although (and I’m sorry if this has been covered a million times, couldn’t find anything recent), I have seen people suggest Stockton for a beginner, anyone know if it has been reopened for camping?

If not, any tips for blacksmiths for a beginner would be helpful! Not ready to tackle anything tough, just looking at driving up and setting up camp.
    Thanks in advance!

2. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

You can't camp at Stockton. You can camp at Samurai Beach in the area at the north end of the beach and there are no fees either for beach access or camping. Blacksmiths is pretty pricey now since they introduced the permits. My opinion is that the sand is pretty similar at all three places. Beware of old nude guys at Samurai, it's a nudist beach.

3. Hylux

Hylux Member

blacksmiths beach
    watch out for glass, bikes/quads. Don't go on dunes above lagoon, stay well above high tide line, don't go swimming unless at either end, beware of sand mines out the back. The main track along beach just into the dunes pretty good but watch for traffic.
    sand is worse than Stockton but usually in hot sunny weather, had rain last night and today so should be ok but you way still find bog spots. Will be plenty of people around if you need a snatch out.

edit Redhead patrolled beach currently closed due to dangerous surf

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. Airstrike

Airstrike Active Member

Not sure if you've been yet
    Redhead beach is only worth if you're camping there, not much better for beach driving when you got Stockton which is much more beautiful with it's sand dunes and great beach front

5. Kouf97

Kouf97 Active Member

Just camped there last weekend and was towing a little camper trailer. The sand is much softer than Stockton I found. Dropped tires to 10psi and all was good. Great spot for a fish, swim and camp and wasn't too busy.

[​IMG]