Steering Wobbles

noelh

Can anyone help me my 1990 Patrol has a severe shake & wobble in the steering at about 65klms per hour. I have replaced both front rotors , checked and tightened both front wheel bearings and checked both tie rod ends as well as pitman arm and there is no movement in any. Does anyone have any suggestions that I might have missed. Cheers Noel H.

Toddyh

Wheel balance and alignment?
Typically out of balance wheels will make the wobble worse the higher the speed.

noelh

Wheel balance and alignment?
Typically out of balance wheels will make the wobble worse the higher the speed.

Already done wheel balance on all 4 wheels one week after the wobbles started thanks for the feedback cheers Noel H :confused:

noelh

Pan-hard bushes and swivel hub bearings.

I was thinking that it might be something like that with the bushes but was not sure if they would do that so I will book it into Pedders and get them checked thanks for the feed back cheers Noel H :)

PTCX

Also check your tyres to see if they are out of round.
If tyres are out of round it can cause a wobble in the steering wheel at some speeds.
Jack a front wheel up so the tyre is only just off the ground and spin the wheel.If the tyre is out of round part of it will skid on the ground as it turns.(do both sides)

Sometimes tyres can get a bit egg shaped if they do a lot of miles at reduced pressures.

Willowna

My 2001GU has the same issue at around 80kmh. After a set of new tyres having the same issue, tried wheel bearing tightening, & several balances but haven't solved the problem. - going from the previous post I'll check out the 'pan hard bushes' (once I find out what they are)

noelh

Tie rods replaced not sure what drag link is and got price on radius bushes in blue nolifane today $265.00 full set from Bursons Auto Parts just gotta find someone to press out the old ones and press in the new ones cheers Noelh

dno67

My suggestion would be stick to rubber bushes, they flex more and don't cut or bruise like the nylothane making them last long.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
Did mine years ago, pulled a shim from the swivel hub bearings to tighten the pre-load(memory is a bit hazy on exact terminology now, but I thinks it sounds right..).
As others have mentioned, the panhard rod(the one with the steering damper attached), as well as dodgy wheel bearings will all contribute. There is a few write ups on the petrol4x4 forum as well, very worth having a read!

muc the truck

Did mine years ago, pulled a shim from the swivel hub bearings to tighten the pre-load(memory is a bit hazy on exact terminology now, but I thinks it sounds right..).
As others have mentioned, the panhard rod(the one with the steering damper attached), as well as dodgy wheel bearings will all contribute. There is a few write ups on the petrol4x4 forum as well, very worth having a read!
Its not as simple as just pulling a shim out . A spring scale must be used to ensure you didn't apply too much tension on the bearings . there are all different shim thicknesses and most of the time its not pulling out shims that's required its rebuilding hubs with new bearings and seals . Its not a back yard job unless your fully capable of testing the adjustments to workshop manual specs . Over tighten them and one day your likely be on your roof . The swivel collapses and you loose the wheel and hub completely.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
Its not as simple as just pulling a shim out . A spring scale must be used to ensure you didn't apply too much tension on the bearings . there are all different shim thicknesses and most of the time its not pulling out shims that's required its rebuilding hubs with new bearings and seals . Its not a back yard job unless your fully capable of testing the adjustments to workshop manual specs . Over tighten them and one day your likely be on your roof . The swivel collapses and you loose the wheel and hub completely.

Dunno mate, too long ago to recall all the details. A mechanic mate did it one arvo, about 400,000 kays ago

Bazzle

After you have done the bearing checks and wheel balance , rim trueness etc it's normally the Panhard rod bushes.
Try to get OEM replacements. IMO poly work well but as soon as the wear a bit you get slop that brings back the issue unless you change them out regularly.
To check the bushes wrap your hand around the bush and get someone to push vehicle side to side. You will soon feel if they are buggered.
Same for all bushes, rod ends etc.

oldlux

Not being familiar with pootrols but if it has a lift that can probably play havoc with your caster. Caster bushes are probably available if it is out of spec. The trouble with wheel wobble is it is an instability somewhere in the system and any number of things like bumps, breaking, wheel balance, out of round tyres, speed and probably a few other things can excite it and sometime you can fix what is exciting it without fixing the real problem. Vehicle dynamics is a complex subject but fortunately it is usually fairly forgiving.
I'm sure if you were to google vehicle dynamics it will confuse the life out of you but you might find the gem you are looking for?