Steering Upgrade - heavy duty tie rods

cnut

Cool, so I got my front and rear lift done, now to take care of the problem I've had with bending tie rods.

It seems to be a bit of a weak point on the Jackaroo (and other Isuzu's), I also have a Lokka diff lock up front, so that adds more stress to the already flimsy tie rods and I have bent mine on three occasions. The wreckers want $100 for second hand ones and all that does is to put you right back where you were.

While I was emailing Matt at www.independent4x.com I discussed the issue with him and he pointed me to the heavy duty replacements that they make for the Tropper in the USA. Now those Americans do some crazy things to their troopers so I figured if these rods were good enough for them, then they'd be good enough for me :)

The year models are not exactly in sync with ours, so I'd recommend measuring the length of your originals and asking Matt at www.independent4x.com to advise you on the correct one to order (there are three different lengths available)

Here's the original tie rod still installed. Photo was taken just after I completed the ball joint flip mod.

Here's the rod from www.independent4x.com compared to the original. Now that's a solid bit if kit :)

Installation is pretty simple, and $25 for a tie rid puller is money well spent if you're doing it yourself. I completed my installation in less than an hour.

One thing to remember when you make any front end mods is that you're going to need a wheel alignment. Otherwise those expensive gyres of yours are going to wear out faster than they should.

I have a simple method of getting my toe in/out pretty close before I take a drive to the wheel alignment joint. You might figure it out from the photo. (Luv bush mechanics hahahahaha)

A simple builders string line, I tie a picture hook to each end and hook it into the tread on the rear wheels to hold it in place under tension. The Jackaroo rear wheel track is about 10mm wider than the front, so I just set the steering wheel at centre then adjust the tie rods so that the side wall of the tyre is about 1mm away from touching the string line at the back of the front wheel. That should get you pretty close to the zero toe in/out specification of the Jackaroo.

I thought it would be close enough for the short trip to the tyre shop.......... And I was right, it was only half a mm out, so it's a good simple wheel alignment method for the bush mechanic :)

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cnut

sorry about the delayed reply. Yes, given them a good workout on the same conditions that I would have previously had problems and I'm really happy with the mod.

Spent a couple of weeks over at Moreton Island in October. It was pretty soft in the sand, helped 4 others get unstuck but never got stuck myself and the tie rods were never a concern.

muc the truck

Cool, so I got my front and rear lift done, now to take care of the problem I've had with bending tie rods.

It seems to be a bit of a weak point on the Jackaroo (and other Isuzu's), I also have a Lokka diff lock up front, so that adds more stress to the already flimsy tie rods and I have bent mine on three occasions. The wreckers want $100 for second hand ones and all that does is to put you right back where you were.

While I was emailing Matt at Welcome to INDEPENDENT4x I discussed the issue with him and he pointed me to the heavy duty replacements that they make for the Tropper in the USA. Now those Americans do some crazy things to their troopers so I figured if these rods were good enough for them, then they'd be good enough for me :)

The year models are not exactly in sync with ours, so I'd recommend measuring the length of your originals and asking Matt at Welcome to INDEPENDENT4x to advise you on the correct one to order (there are three different lengths available)

Here's the original tie rod still installed. Photo was taken just after I completed the ball joint flip mod.

Here's the rod from Welcome to INDEPENDENT4x compared to the original. Now that's a solid bit if kit :)

Installation is pretty simple, and $25 for a tie rid puller is money well spent if you're doing it yourself. I completed my installation in less than an hour.

One thing to remember when you make any front end mods is that you're going to need a wheel alignment. Otherwise those expensive gyres of yours are going to wear out faster than they should.

I have a simple method of getting my toe in/out pretty close before I take a drive to the wheel alignment joint. You might figure it out from the photo. (Luv bush mechanics hahahahaha)

A simple builders string line, I tie a picture hook to each end and hook it into the tread on the rear wheels to hold it in place under tension. The Jackaroo rear wheel track is about 10mm wider than the front, so I just set the steering wheel at centre then adjust the tie rods so that the side wall of the tyre is about 1mm away from touching the string line at the back of the front wheel. That should get you pretty close to the zero toe in/out specification of the Jackaroo.

I thought it would be close enough for the short trip to the tyre shop.......... And I was right, it was only half a mm out, so it's a good simple wheel alignment method for the bush mechanic :)

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
they look like land rover discovery and defender tie rods